• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Reveals Home Video Release Plans For Blue Exorcist, Occultic;Nine, WWW.WAGNARIA!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxhate

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
And still no release of Mushi-shi... What a shame...
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, Aniplex's "manufacturers" vs. "actual" prices are a complete and utter joke, given that they're sold at one or two completely-controlled storefronts and never go on sale.

I resorted to importing Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blad Works 2014 from the UK on DVD because it was cheaper and I could watch it in my room on my old Windows XP computer hooked up to my TV.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I resorted to importing Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blad Works 2014 from the UK on DVD because it was cheaper and I could watch it in my room on my old Windows XP computer hooked up to my TV.

I've imported pretty much every Aniplex title I want from the UK. Even with the shipping, it probably cost me the same for the whole lot as it would for just one or two Aniplex releases here. Their loss!
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
sailorsweeper wrote:
How bad did Hai- Furi do anyway.

Sold 5.7k its first week, which for comparison put it just slightly ahead of the first volume of Re:Zero.

Yeah on it's first week of release of it's first volume, by end of week 4 volume 1 sat at 8,157 units sold. Also, after the first volume Re:Zero consistently sold about 7k releases it's first week of release and consistently made above 8.5K with each volume selling more than the previous one. So, unless that is the trend of Hai-Furi, than it's a misleading comparison.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
The UK has had a complete collection for Blue Exorcist since last August. Disc quality is virtually the same so you're just paying for an expensive case.

I expect it won't be an expensive case, but the thinnest, cheapest box they can get away with without it falling apart during shipping. That's been their MO for other non-LE or non-Premium releases.

But I guess $160 is an improvement on the $280 (total) retail the 2 LE sets went for. I'm not sure a couple of soundtrack CDs and illo booklets and a nice box are worth $120. The other extras (cast interviews, some shorts) may or may not be included, but it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Since AoA is all too aware of the complaints on their pricing, it would be nice if they could put much of their dubbed catalog on Amazon or Hulu (Netflix has some). However, the licenses probably prevent that. This is a reason why piracy remains strong in some areas.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
the only aniplex of america title I bought legitimately was Kill la Kill and the only good thing for that for me was I bought it from a third party vendor who was under cutting aniplex willingly cause he knew selling aniplex titles cheaper than what he spent when he bought in bulk would bring him back repeat customers, hopefully I can get lucky with blue exorcist
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Yeah on it's first week of release of it's first volume, by end of week 4 volume 1 sat at 8,157 units sold. Also, after the first volume Re:Zero consistently sold about 7k releases it's first week of release and consistently made above 8.5K with each volume selling more than the previous one. So, unless that is the trend of Hai-Furi, than it's a misleading comparison.

Re:Zero slightly increased every week to sit at an average of 10.8k units per volume, High School Fleet remained fairly steady and sat at an average of 7.8k units per volume.

Re:Zero packed a lot more big event tickets in with every volume, which encouraged die-hard fans to buy multiple copies, while High School Fleet's event tickets usually corresponded to small-scale radio dramas, which didn't really drive sales as much as they could.

Both shows were essentially "ads" for something else, and while Re:Zero increased sales of the source material light novels it was promoting, while High School Fleet revitalized the economy of the town it was promoting.

Both were success stories, so I'm not quite sure what bothers you about the comparison other than some perceived slight against the non-moe title? (Personally, I didn't watch either show... I was busy watching Diamond is Unbreakable, Anne-Happy, My Hero Academia, Lost Village, Kabeneri, Kiznaiver, and Flying Witch that season.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Still waiting on Kizanaiver news...
You'd think with how popular it was it'd get something by now...
It was popular? I mean sure it got a lot of attention at first being a Trigger show, a few episodes in however most people seem to loose interest.
SydneyAran

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised. They already did this move for SAO and Madoka. And it's still expensive as hell. Aniplex does not comprehend the meaning of the word, sale, or affordable.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
I wish "Kiznaiver" had sold better in Japan because I liked the show. Also, let's look at it from a business standpoint. When you have a show that get's heavily promoted, it tanking it sales doesn't help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3