• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Stream Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga Anime's English Dub Exclusively on Hulu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Really hating how there are exclusive streams these days.
Makes me feel less inclined to support at all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:

At least it is not part of the double paywall from Amazon.
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Does this mean it cant play on toonami?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:

Probably. I heard this is what prevented Sailor Moon from getting on Toonami as well (Hulu got exclusive rights from Viz).

I usually wouldn't mind Hulu getting exclusive rights (no double paywall), but I think what's killing them is not their selection (which is already bigger than Netflix's excluding its originals) but the fact that it's charging 5 USD more per month for ad-free streaming than literally any of its competitors.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:

Probably. I heard this is what prevented Sailor Moon from getting on Toonami as well (Hulu got exclusive rights from Viz).

According to Jason DeMarco, there was no chance Sailor Moon was coming back to Toonami regardless of whether or not Hulu got the rights.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Streaming services are BS when it comes to something like this. I'd love to be exposed to more anime, but can't simply because I don't have the right subscriptions at the right times.

I mean even cable providers had the common decency to carry the same main-stay channel lineups as their competition.

The only thing that moves like this accomplish is to limit profits to a fraction of their potential market and put an unnecessary cap on any exposure this series would have gotten otherwise.

I would have never even considered checking out this series if the first one had not aired on Toonami.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy there going to stream it I sure would love to watch asterisk war, erased, and Charlotte dub but I don't feel like spending $600
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

At least it is not part of the double paywall from Amazon.

The ad-free option is nearly as much as Prime and Strike combined, and Hulu only gets you video. Honestly some seem too laser focused on how Amazon structures the subscription that they miss how much they are paying and what you can get for the money as compared to others services. Not that they were wise to do it that way.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

The ad-free option is nearly as much as Prime and Strike combined, and Hulu only gets you video. Honestly some seem too laser focused on how Amazon structures the subscription that they miss how much they are paying and what you can get for the money as compared to others services. Not that they were wise to do it that way.
I could be wrong as I don't subscribe to either but isn't Hulu cheaper then the monthly cost of prime alone? Also to me I've never wanted or needed prime so paying that much for just subs and limited selection does not seem worth it. I would sub if they offered simuldubs but as it stands now the service is not worth the price.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
BlueBitterCoffee wrote:

I usually wouldn't mind Hulu getting exclusive rights (no double paywall), but I think what's killing them is not their selection (which is already bigger than Netflix's excluding its originals) but the fact that it's charging 5 USD more per month for ad-free streaming than literally any of its competitors.

Blue Exorcist season 1 dub got exclusively streamed by Neon Alley before premiering on Toonami.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I could be wrong as I don't subscribe to either but isn't Hulu cheaper then the monthly cost of prime alone? Also to me I've never wanted or needed prime so paying that much for just subs and limited selection does not seem worth it. I would sub if they offered simuldubs but as it stands now the service is not worth the price.

Hulu's "limited commercials" option (which have the most ads of any ad supported tier that I've seen) runs you $7.99 a month (plus tax) or $95.88 yearly versus Prime's $99 yearly, effectively $8.25 monthly (though the actual monthly plan is more). The ad free option is $11.99 or $143.88 yearly versus effectively $13.24 monthly or $159 yearly for Prime and Strike.

Certainly the package that Amazon (or Hulu) offers isn't going to be desirable for all. Amazon doesn't have simuldubs (though neither does Hulu AFAIK) but it does have dubbed content, though I don't know how exclusive they are. Hulu has a better catalog, but they have had anime for way longer than Prime. All I'm saying is some are too focused on how Amazon splits their subscription that they don't really look at the costs and benefits, which the latter may well not be worth the former for them.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
According to Jason DeMarco, there was no chance Sailor Moon was coming back to Toonami regardless of whether or not Hulu got the rights.

The comment about Hulu was also from Jason and was specifically regarding Crystal.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Eh. At least the series as a whole is not exclusively streamed by Hulu. You can still watch the subtitled version on Crunchyroll.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Hulu?! That is literally the worst option right now. What the hell, Aniplex?
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Everyone has the same decisions to make regarding what services they want to pay for. I'm always tired of all the complaining about what's available where. You either pay for it or you don't. It's as simple as that. I subscribe to Hulu for shows I can watch the day after they air from the main networks so any anime on it is just a bonus. I will enjoy watching the dub on Hulu. At least it's dub is going to be available from a streaming service unlike many others shows licenses by AOA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2