• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
They probably just won't dun the actual poems and keep them in Japanese and maybe give them subtitles. Kinda like how they dub music based anime while keeping the songs Japanese

Regardless, I'm hyped! I'm down to rewatch this show in English!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Holy....Goodbye Money

If they had only did a regular edition DVD/BR I would have skipped it (I own the DVDs from
Australia) but there is no way I can miss out on this.
mierin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Maybe they should change all the poems to limericks?

"There once was a man from Nantucket..."
"Wh."
*sound of cards being slapped*

I joking of course.

This will be tough to pull off.

Haha I burst out laughing at this Laughing

But yeah, count me in the people who wonder how they will pull this off. It will be very interesting to see and I hope it pays off for them.

FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly shocked that Sentai is doing this for a six-year-old title that they picked up a year ago but I'm happy. I have a handful of dub-only friends who I've been wanting to show this to.

Sentai's dubs have been really wishy-washy for me lately so here's hoping that this one is good, Chihayafuru deserves it.

Seeing as Luci Christian has starred in almost every Sentai dub recently announced I'm already assuming she's playing Chihaya.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I was not expecting a Collector's Edition, much less a dub. I thought they might release it in plain jane BDs. Very surprised and I hope they don't lose money on this one, it seems risky. Still I will be plunking money down for this. It deserves support and the first season was pretty fantastic for me (I wish they'd make another season). I hope my fears are unfounded and other people drop some money on this show.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
A dub and a beautiful CE I could cry! Sentai has become my absolute favorite NA anime company over the past 12 month Anime cry

Same here! I literally screamed "YEEES!!" when I saw the headline. I don't care how long I have to save I am getting that motherf****in' collector's edition. Very Happy
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
I also laughed my butt off at the limerick joke.

I wonder if this will be just the first season for now? If so I hope they'll also release the second season eventually. But I'm very excited to buy this one either way. It's definitely not a series I ever expected to get a dub and I'm curious to see how they'll handle it.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
I join the chorus of people curious about the way the poetry will be handled in this English release. One of the preview images shows a card with an English translation of Ariwara no Narihira's Chihayaburu poem. It looks like a new translation to me. Wondering if and how that might feature in this version of the first season.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1153/3888/products/SFC-CHF100-karutas.jpg?v=1495472738

Also linking to two ANN articles about the status of the third live action film, "Chihayafuru - Musubi -", which is currently being filmed on various locations. And a link for an official site indicating they're still recruiting volunteer extras for filming dates stretching through to the end of June 2017. Film itself scheduled for release in 2018.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-26/chihayafuru-sequel-film-reveals-4-new-cast-members-2018-opening/.115303

With a note that in later announcements, on Twitter and in the latest issue of Be Love, the film exclusive new character's name is given as Io Wagatsuma.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-05-10/chihayafuru-star-streams-live-from-sequel-film-set/.115927

Extras wanted:
http://movies.robot.co.jp/extra/chihayafuru/
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
moogrin wrote:
I wonder if this will be just the first season for now? If so I hope they'll also release the second season eventually.
Sentai has the two seasons. They should release season 2 early next year.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-14/sentai-filmworks-licenses-chihayafuru-anime/.106469
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a limited edition collector's type of person, but when I saw this yesterday I immediately preordered it. I wanted to support this show for getting licensed at all, much less getting a dub, much less getting a fancy box with tchotchkes.
niastyle

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I am beyond giddy about this dub. This has made my whole day. I don't care how much it costs, I'm buying it. I can't wait.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile since I posted, but this announcement is HYPE all day long!

I remember going to a panel with Toshio Nakatani as one of the guests, and his surprise at the amount of people in the room that were fans of Chihayafuru. I'm hoping that's a good sign for sales, but that was years ago now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Chihayafuru is being slated English version...Hopefully there's still enough of a crowd left for it to sell well...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2