• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Murciélago GN 1 & 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a sense she's like a female version of the typical male action hero – she's here to take down the bad guys and sleep with the ladies.

And that is the main reasons why I find this series so appealing. It's really nice to have yuri titles that is combined with another subgenre even if the seinen action gore fest may be squeamish for some. This is one title I wish there's an anime adaptation though I'd imagine the sex and gore would be a hassle for broadcasters (unless making it a Netflix-only show bypasses them).
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I almost didn't read this manga (because of the gore), but I'm glad I gave it a chance! It's super funny, as well as sexy, and the gore doesn't even bother me! Maybe I've become jaded. Anyway, it's a great read, and I'm looking forward to more!
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
While I very much appreciate a publisher in English picking up something with an adult lesbian, the horror black comedy of Murciélago is very much not my thing. I'm a little surprised to see a review on ANN even given the adult content.

Hopefully, though the market is maturing to a point where all kinds of lesbian themed stories will be offered. That would be a great thing.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Good review, I just purchased the first volume for my kindle and I look forward to reading it when I get home. I could use another Black Comedy in my life while I wait for Youjo Senki to release in the fall.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first volume of this (and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the second), and it always makes me pause when people call it a yuri title; it's so much more than the usual schoolgirls blushing and holding hands that we usually get from translated yuri titles (even if there's sex scenes, it's always still schoolgirls). Even though the gore will turn some people iff this title, I sincerely hope it sells well, so companies know there's a market for more hardcore yuri titles (preferably not starring schoolgirls).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
For me Mutcielago's entry bar is not the gore or explicit sex scenes IT depicts, but Kuroko's face. She is not cute or nice to look at, I suppose it makes sense since she is a villain that hunts other villains (like deadpool) but took me some time to not be distracted by it.

p.s. Just realized Kuroko falls into the real life archetype of "Vitola", a tall, slender woman who is not pretty (or really ugly). Yeah, if you google that word and click on images you will realize it is a very old and latin (as in the american region) reference.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Thu May 25, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
In case you wonder why the reviewer mentions "gore", "violent" and "sex" a lot, it's because there is little else. The gore/violence artwork is very detailed and mostly well done but after a bunch of chapters it was a little much for me. The story and characterization condenses into a relative thimble in comparison and I think the characters fairly two dimensional
mandisaw

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I picked up vol 1 on a friend's recommendation a few days ago, and this review just whets my appetite for what sounds like a fun romp. While my current manga tastes tend towards plucky josei heroic fantasy (Yona, Skip Beat), there's still that part that loves seinen horror-comedy (Bastard, Hellsing).

There will always be a place on my shelf (or tablet) for a little sexy-violence, and the over-the-top approach -usually- shades any uncomfortable implications in satire.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Awesome review. Definitely my kind of series.

Quote:
While this does make her a variation of the unfortunate “predatory lesbian” trope

How is it unfortunate when that is what was decided during the creation process. Stay neutral, please. I don't get how you guys cover stuff from Japan and still think this way. Respect the vision.
dweebyweeb

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Quote:
While this does make her a variation of the unfortunate “predatory lesbian” trope

How is it unfortunate when that is what was decided during the creation process. Stay neutral, please. I don't get how you guys cover stuff from Japan and still think this way. Respect the vision.

I agree. While my critique is not to downplay your point of view, ANN does like to virtue signal when it comes down to the fact that a fictional series, be it anime/manga/light novels/etc. will have themes or characters that some may find offensive, questionable or god forbid "problematic" but this is a fictional series and whom are we to be the thought police or put personal biases based on what we can or cannot handle as a negative? I don't know. It's difficult to critique the critics without being seen as a troll nowadays.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
dweebyweeb wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Quote:

I agree. While my critique is not to downplay your point of view, ANN does like to virtue signal when it comes down to the fact that a fictional series, be it anime/manga/light novels/etc. will have themes or characters that some may find offensive, questionable or god forbid "problematic" but this is a fictional series and whom are we to be the thought police or put personal biases based on what we can or cannot handle as a negative? I don't know. It's difficult to critique the critics without being seen as a troll nowadays.

Rolling Eyes

This is HER review and she doesn't like predatory characters. It would be disingenuous for her to ignore that. How you or I react is our own business, but don't tell her not to express her opinion in her own review. I am still baffled consistently by people totally not understanding what a review is, even long time readers of this site. Or maybe even more by the fact that some people seem to think that ANN is a singular person or something. There are many reviewers here guys. And they all have different opinions on media. Opinions which they are supposed to honestly share with us in their reviews.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
dweebyweeb wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Quote:

I totally agree as well. That's why I don't post much here, anymore. I can't stand the virtue signaling and there seems to be a sort of groupthink on this forum. It almost seems like you can't disagree on whatever the general consensus is on a certain topic without getting scolded or shouted down. Even if you try to be polite about it.
dweebyweeb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
dweebyweeb wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Quote:

Rolling Eyes

This is HER review and she doesn't like predatory characters. It would be disingenuous for her to ignore that. How you or I react is our own business, but don't tell her not to express her opinion in her own review. I am still baffled consistently by people totally not understanding what a review is, even long time readers of this site. Or maybe even more by the fact that some people seem to think that ANN is a singular person or something. There are many reviewers here guys. And they all have different opinions on media. Opinions which they are supposed to honestly share with us in their reviews.

I completely agree with it being her review, but why should fictional media be negated for having subject matter the reviewer doesn't like? Shakespeare would have been censored, let alone Oscar Wilde. I know reviews are subjective and questionable, but why is difficult subject matter seen as a negative other than trying to be understanding or objective with the issue at hand? No wonder we have the disclaimer before the podcast that two nasally nagging nerds would say everything sucks except for Yuri!! on Ice and maybe another show. Great job.
dweebyweeb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
dweebyweeb wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Quote:

I totally agree as well. That's why I don't post much here, anymore. I can't stand the virtue signaling and there seems to be a sort of groupthink on this forum. It almost seems like you can't disagree on whatever the general consensus is on a certain topic without getting scolded or shouted down. Even if you try to be polite about it.

I know how you feel. Ah, to be young again. I went through this particular phase of P.C. policing in the mid to late nineties and it seems like its cropped up again. It especially happened on an ANN podcast a while back ago where one of the guys went off on 80's genre flicks and how those b-movies/exploitation flicks were full of nudity and offensive had nothing to do with anime. I was being polite and wondering why difficult subject matter gets negative points right off the bat with most, if not all reviewers from this site. At least we now know why Kenichi Sonoda made Rally Vincent half Indian now. Affirmative action anime achievement unlocked! (I am not even white, so negative naysayers that do not agree with me better not call me a racist.)
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
dweebyweeb wrote:

I completely agree with it being her review, but why should fictional media be negated for having subject matter the reviewer doesn't like? Shakespeare would have been censored, let alone Oscar Wilde. I know reviews are subjective and questionable, but why is difficult subject matter seen as a negative other than trying to be understanding or objective with the issue at hand? No wonder we have the disclaimer before the podcast that two nasally nagging nerds would say everything sucks except for Yuri!! on Ice and maybe another show. Great job.

BECAUSE IT'S HER REVIEW! Why are you acting like this is some community wide, or global, strike against the series? It's just her review. I am utterly confused by what your point even is. This is censorship? Because one reviewer didn't like something and actually had the gall to state that in their OWN review? God forbid!
Look, the closest thing to censorship here(of which there is absolutely none) would be preventing a critic from expressing their honest thoughts on a series because they don't conform to your own expectations and world view. Think about it from that angle for a second. Should a critic NOT have freedom of speech because it might conflict with your values?
The answer is no. Just as a story can do all kinds of things that she disagrees with, she can openly state that she disagrees with those things on this website. Make sense?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2