• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animated Castlevania Series' Trailer Reveals July Netflix Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
WATCHING THIS YAS!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Mewzard wrote:

Well, Trevor Belmont was spoiler[the first man to kill Dracula], I believe.

-1792: Rondo of Blood with Trevor Belmont

Slight correction. That was Richter Belmont in Rondo of Blood. Not Trevor. Impressive making that list though!

Super excited about this show. With Warren Ellis writing (G.I. Joe Resolute) it's going to be great.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Looks fantastic and even better quality from lots of recent anime. I hope to see more quality shows like that Very Happy
Well obviously a high budget Netflix series is going to be of higher quality than an Anime.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
[What really gets me is that it's written by the legendary Warren Ellis of all people. Definitely going to check this out when it comes out

Yeah I just read this today. Any comic fan knows this series is in good hands with Warren Ellis.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
With the Castlevania Netflix series that is probably the first serious adult American animated show since Spawn. All of the other adult American animated shows are comedy shows. I always felt like American need more serious adult animation series.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Looks fantastic and even better quality from lots of recent anime. I hope to see more quality shows like that Very Happy
Well obviously a high budget Netflix series is going to be of higher quality than an Anime.

Not necessarily, most often than not the budget gets spent statewise (writer, director, music, edition, voice actors, etc.) and what is left is used for some cheap animation in asia. By the looks of this one I bet it is done by Dr. Movie or maybe even MAPPA.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll use the love triangle schtick that was in that Castlevania fighting game on the Wii. The good part of that was that it was about Grant reflecting on regret, though, not the actual idea of the love triangle.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first NF animated adult show, Bojack Horseman is a dramedy with focus on the character development.
Even so, I do agree more adult animated works are welcome. There's stuff you can do in animation that live action can't accomplish, it's cheaper to make, and you don't have to cram your favorite properties into hour and a half movies in sequel teases that never come.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Not necessarily, most often than not the budget gets spent statewise (writer, director, music, edition, voice actors, etc.) and what is left is used for some cheap animation in asia. By the looks of this one I bet it is done by Dr. Movie or maybe even MAPPA.

Production is credited to Frederator Studios, best known for The Fairly Odd Parents and Adventure Time of all things. Still, they're doing good work with Castlevania and I hope it does well as a game adaptation as well as a serious animation production so the West can start focusing adult animation to other places besides comedy
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Production is credited to Frederator Studios, best known for The Fairly Odd Parents and Adventure Time of all things. Still, they're doing good work with Castlevania and I hope it does well as a game adaptation as well as a serious animation production so the West can start focusing adult animation to other places besides comedy

Surely they must have outsourced this to another studio? Otherwise I have to wonder why their other work looks so terrible. Is it truly just the CalArts Curse?

-Stuart Smith
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Production is credited to Frederator Studios, best known for The Fairly Odd Parents and Adventure Time of all things.

The animation of Fairly Odd Parents is outsourced to Korea's Yeson (Animation Studio)/Entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn_ZnxANNgA <--- 0:39

Adventure Time's animation is outsourced to Rough Draft (also from korea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9mjoaO2oc <-- 0:20

Just like in Korea is a so called secret that anime is made in Japan, in the USA it is a so called secret that so called american animation has not been drawn in the US for quite some time* (maybe cleaned, colored, timed and yeah, the character designs are done by people this side of the pacific ocean, but the hard part, actually making the ton of drawings required for an animation would be too costly to be done even at mimimum wage salaries).

*ok, so Total Drama Island was drawn in Canada, does that constitute american animation?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Surely they must have outsourced this to another studio?

They're working with Powerhouse Animation in Texas.
Here's their reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFPnQ1GQWQ
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I wonder if they'll use the love triangle schtick that was in that Castlevania fighting game on the Wii. The good part of that was that it was about Grant reflecting on regret, though, not the actual idea of the love triangle.

Castlevania Judgement. It's quite possible. Warren Ellis is up there with Peter David in that whenever they tackle anything they research just about everything they can get their hands on. He may or may not use that triangle but chances are really good that it was looked at and considered.

I was one of the few that loved Obata's character designs for that game. People were up and arms about it, but the story was obviously out of continuity anyway so I thought it was fun. I wish more out of continuity games did stuff like that more often. Closest I can recall is Tokyo Mirage Sessions having some fun with the Fire Emblem character designs.

Not that I would want Obata's look for a proper Castlevania animated series or anything. It just wouldn't ground it in the kind of reality I would like the show to strive for.

This show has a good look from what I've seen. A bit of Ayami Kojima and the barbarian look of the first 3 games. Looks cool.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
SydneyAran wrote:
Love Castlevania. Too bad Konami doesn't treat the franchise with respect anymore. Also it's a shame this isn't on crunchyroll instead.

cant be surprised by that. konami have been on a massive downward spiral for years now and their actions have pretty much disgusted both the gaming and otaku community. first is of course their complete monopoly over the YGO franchise since whatever they do in the TCG, have an adverse effect on the anime series.

but the biggest mistake is how they pretty much gave kojima the middle finger , which pretty much was the last straw for a lot of longtime konami fans.

and from this trailer , this trend isnt changing. i mean everyone knows how they have treated the castlevania franchise after their attempts into migrating to 3D have been disastrous to say the least. though the animations feels way too much like if it was meant for the US audience. its way too similar to CN's attempts when they tried to do that anime hybrid version for thundercats back in 2011 which was a mess to say the least. dont be surprised if this castlevania series tanks as bad as their series. i really cant blame anyone who does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3