• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Kick-Ass Women of Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopB8

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hange's part mad scientist, part absent-minded professor, and all geek when it comes to her titan research (didja see her response in Season 2 when she was talking to Erin-turned-titan?). Ya gotta love someone that passionate (or is it fanatic?) about the sciences. And yet when things get serious, Hange's quick thinking and action shows why she's chosen a leader.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Annie is a particularly fascinating character particularly once more of the manga revelations gets revealed.

In the middle of the Female-Titan arc she just seems to be an enigmatic and sadistic villain (she does swing a survey corps soldier like a toy). But knowing the full context to her situation you can piece together her thought process and motivations throughout the series. Her hatred of ideology, her tired cynicism, her desperation to get Eren to the point of almost killing him, and her final decision to say "fudge it" and try to run away.

There's a discourse going on about how Fascist Attack on Titan is and honestly right now I'm still not sure which side of the line it's going to land on. But one of the things that keeps me reading the story is how it takes characters that seem like cardboard villains at first and slowly reveals that they're scared humans just like everybody inside the walls. Which generally goes against the narrative fascist stories tend to present.

Last edited by Doodleboy on Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hawkbit

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Isayama has NOT confirmed Krista and Ymir are a couple; only the director of the anime did that, so how canon it is is debatable. I am just playing devil's advocate mind you, because I really do hope they are a couple.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Elric_Edward wrote:
Too bad season 2 won't get to what I believe is hands down, the best AOT arc in the Uprising Arc :/

Season three, neighbor.

that is IF it gets a season three. most of these very long shonen type series that is not named naruto or one piece rarely gets another season. so unless S2 does indeed goes to the uprising arc , the chances of a S3 are very slim unless an official announcement says otherwise.

also why isnt hange on this list??? sure she's nutty like a fruitcake but almost everyone here agrees that she should since that craziness also at times gives her a tactical advantage when a situation turns into a serious quagmire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
^I don't think the chances of a third season of one of the most popular shows of the last decade are very slim. It is more when than if. How long it will take I don't know (hopefully not as long as the last time), but I find it difficult to believe there is little chance that it will get another sequel.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
You know, between seasons, I kept seeing people go on and on about how feminist Attack on Titan is, and I was never that into it, so I just took them at their word...

and then in the first episode of the new season, Eren has a flashback about tagging along while his mom and Mikasa did laundry, and his mom tells him he has to be strong because he's a man, and like...

I think it's another case of people throwing ideas they like onto shows they like... which goes hand in hand with throwing ideas they don't like onto shows they don't like... and neither is really very productive, honestly.

Also, good characters [i]don't[/"kick ass". The best characters are the ones that solve their problems without violence, and gender has nothing to do with that. Of course, in this series, the violence is the point, which basically means the author has put a ceiling on how worthy the characters really can be, by denying them a scenario where they can do the truly worthy thing and solve problems without violence - again, regardless of gender.

Can we have a post celebrating characters who don't "kick ass", and solve their problems without violence (female, regardless of gender, or whatever)?

I think people misunderstand the point of that flashback scene. It's not about how strong Eren should be - it's as you're saying and Eren shouldn't just blindly run into danger. A similar thing is said by Annie later in the season (since this is up to episode 31). This is Eren's character arc and kind of gender role subversive, too, I think. Guys should be allowed to be "weak" (show emotion, not be the most powerful). Eren doesn't have to be a great hero for his life to have any value.

I want to defend Mikasa a little. I don't think the idea is that she only wants to protect Eren. She has a sweet relationship with Armin, too. We see her become friends with Sasha, too. Her relationship with Levi gets some elaboration down the line, too. It's more like she lives for the people she cares about and wants to have the peaceful days with them back, which is an idea that people could probably relate to to some extent. There is also a small side plot about her taking responsibility for her actions.

I think my personal faves are Historia and Annie, though.
mollaroo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Mikasa may not be the best female character, badass or otherwise, but I do like how they haven't really made her a damsel in distress. Many such characters in shows like these are indeed kick-ass but often the male lead is even more so or the female character is put in a situation where they can't be their usual kick-ass self. But not only is Mikasa one of the strongest characters (including over Eren), Eren is usually the damsel, which is a nice role reversal. I don't know if that will change (and this doesn't apply to the live-action adaptation from what I've heard) but it is an improvement over many such characters. ... .

YES I love that she's always having to save eren, it makes me happy to see such a rare role reversal, especially in anime. I am so fed up of the shows where the women are all squealing piggies waiting to be saved (obviously it's okay to have some like this but pls not all, it's too painful)
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
Regarding Hange, Isayama simply refused to identify her as male or female, claiming that any interpretation is valid. However, keep in mind that's only in the manga. The anime began before that revelation, so anime-Hange is definitely female, at least biologically. I don't really think her gender matters at all, though, considering that she's never in situations in which her gender matters and it has nothing to do with her character. Basically, if you want to consider Hange female, do so, and if not, that's also fine, which is Isayama's stance on the matter.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
~REMOVED~

I hope to God that you didn't just give out a manga spoiler, because that's what it looks like to me.

It was a massive one but it has been removed.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
^I don't think the chances of a third season of one of the most popular shows of the last decade are very slim. It is more when than if. How long it will take I don't know (hopefully not as long as the last time), but I find it difficult to believe there is little chance that it will get another sequel.

true. and i would tend to agree with you, but considering on what happen to other shonen type series like this , i am not ready to hold on my hopes up just yet.

Hawkbit wrote:
Actually, Isayama has NOT confirmed Krista and Ymir are a couple; only the director of the anime did that, so how canon it is is debatable. I am just playing devil's advocate mind you, because I really do hope they are a couple.

but unless the author says otherwise, its more or less canon to die hard AoT fans. more importantly, the odds of him contradicting the director at this point is very low unless the both of them will play an important part in the manga after the wall maria reclamation arc. at least they weren't completely rushed and brought up from out of nowhere (looking at you korra) since it was pretty clear from the manga that those two had that type of relationship considering the history both had before meeting each other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
One of those girls in the article's pictures are not like the other...
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... when the presence of one stereotype can more easily imply that that's how all women should be.
THIS right here is the problem with contemporary fiction. I yearn for the days back when people didn't assume that because character X has some sort of flaw it actually means that Y or Z group have the same issue in real life. This is why Western female MCs are either incredibly boring and/or paper-thin characters.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
This is why Western female MCs are either incredibly boring and/or paper-thin characters.

Example???
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is why Western female MCs are either incredibly boring and/or paper-thin characters.

Well, I guess not everyone has seen the greatness of Avatar:The Last Airbender, makes sense.
hattori300

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
If cardboard cut-outs of real human beings are your thing, then yeah, AoT has enough of that in spades for you to enjoy.
Otherwise, im not sure how anybody can see the laughable characters of this show as complex, relatable, or well written in any way, shape or form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3