• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phoenix Comicon Staff Ban Prop Weapons Following Man's Arrest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
I am just glad that the authorities took this seriously. We could be talking about a very different scenario otherwise. I think Jason David Frank was right to say that we could have had another Manchester like tragedy happen.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Sat May 27, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone said something to the right people to get the police involved. This con had 100,000+ unique attendees last year, it is a very big convention and needs big security as a result I'd say.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness the threatening perpetrator was stopped before he could unleash his deadly mayhem. Here's hoping he'll get some serious jail time for this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
What this article doesn't say, but the others I've read has, is that he was apparently taking pictures of the police and security at the convention, and had posted on facebook previously stating his intentions to kill police officers. A woman who knew him recognized him and saw what he was doing, and reported him.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Wow nuts! First Phoenix Comicon I've missed in a long long time (maybe since the beginning?) Moved out of state with my family last October.

Speaking of missed conventions...I'm also missing the one here in northern MI this weekend. If only I started my job a month earlier Sad
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
A woman who knew him recognized him and saw what he was doing, and reported him.

I saw footage of her in another News report on YouTube she looked so nervous it must have been terrifying to receive those messages. I really hope that she is being protected, the Internet being what it is reprisals and death threats could happen to her now. Confused
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
What's the matter with people? Yeah, JDF has a reputation for being a bit of an ass, but that's no reason to kill the guy. And all he accomplished was making things a little less fun for others.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:
What's the matter with people? Yeah, JDF has a reputation for being a bit of an ass, but that's no reason to kill the guy. And all he accomplished was making things a little less fun for others.

Well, he is a bit of an egomaniac. Even during the press conference.

It's still no reason to want to off the guy though.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

Well, he is a bit of an egomaniac. Even during the press conference.

It's still no reason to want to off the guy though.

Yeah he did not come across well during that sentence did he? But yeah just because he does have a reputation for being a bit of a douche canoe doesn’t justify attempted murder. Also the guy they arrested was apparently after killing police officers too and calling himself The Punisher basically seeing himself as Frank Castle.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, for a good thing, at least its situated, but seriously, besides the suspect trying to off the authorties, I dunno what in his mind he wanted to target JDF as well, I wonder what the supsect's motive on this, like, why and what reason? Either because something in his past, or probably just wanted to target whoever.

Either way, as it is, besides the situation under control, its kinda sad for cosplayers now that are at the Arizona C.C. that props are banned, but it is what it is for safety issues. Now what I wonder...how will this affect other cons besides comic-cons? I mean, AX is around the corner, and I wonder how their weapon policy will be reflected now? I guess we'll wait and see.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Amy Jo Johnson stopped attending conventions due to safety concerns and stalker incidents. For anyone who wasn't part of the Wizard World Chicago 2013 Meet & Greet, Jason twisted it and said she didn't go because she didn't care enough about the fans. I'm not saying this is karma, but the shoe is definitely on the other foot and Amy's claims are now validated. Jason has said and done some despicable things over the years and this very well may have been the result of pissing off the wrong person. It would be nice if he took this as a lesson to reflect and evaluate the way he treats people.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Can martial arts experts also be concidered as weapons?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
I was there on Friday. In terms of security checks, while it is aggravating it does slow the registration line down, I would rather be security checked by local security/law enforcement than the feds. That's because the feds can really make it worse.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Can martial arts experts also be concidered as weapons?

I was once told that in some states if you have a certain degree of black belt in certain martial arts then yes, you can be classified as a deadly weapon. This same friend insisted that that was why he had stopped at one degree below that even though he was capable of qualifying for that level or higher. He was ex-U.S. Army special forces, so his claim was believable to my younger self, but I've never researched that and am dubious of the claim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Here's a Snopes discussion on the subject. It seems like there may have been some shady characters, international laws, and misunderstandings involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2