• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Harem Anime Where All the Choices Are Insane

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I think Girls Bravo doesn't really belong on the list, as the point of the series is that there is one "right" girl, Miharu. All the other female characters are terrible choices, but Miharu is incredibly innocent and has pure feelings towards Yukinari. The show goes to great pains to point out that she's the only one that doesn't trigger Yukinari's gynophobia, mainly because she's the only one who doesn't abuse or mistreat him.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tenchi Muyo? Sasami/Tsunami. It's weird... plus there's some waiting involved... but not insane. Also, that Kiyone doesn't exist, she's just a figment of Mihoshi's imagination.

This really belongs on the "Guide to TM" thread, but: THIS is why not to start with the OAV series before Universe--
Every time you think you've got the entire universe of the OAV parsed, the next episode takes almost deliberately nasty glee in slapping you down again with more MUC twists out of left field from another ballpark, just to watch you try and take it seriously enough to figure it out.

Like telling a Star Wars fan, "Oh, and did you know that the soul and life-force of Qui-Gon Jinn transferred to R2-D2 after his death, and that's why he's such a smarter droid than the others?"....
Oh, he did NOT, stop making things up to troll us! Razz
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Arpeggio of Blue Steel really doesn't belong; while just about all the girls are insane, it's not a harem.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, on the other hand, should be in the list. It's definitely a harem, and the girls are all completely nuts.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i was thinking about that same thing as well. i mean touma kamajo is dense, but ichika is either have to be the most girl phobic boy ever or he's pretending to be that dense because 1) he clearly have a thing for his older blood related sister chifuyu , 2) he blames himself for what happened to her in the 2nd mondo groso, or 3) doesnt want to be put in a situation where he have to be with a girl and disappointing the others (ala rin from shuffle!). in some ways , he kinda reminds me of ayato amagiri from the asterisk war. the only difference is that the girls in his harem arent the psychotic jealous types. even if it ends up turning out after all that he does have a thing for his older blood related sister haruka, just like with ichika.

at least there is one thing for sure. thank god ichika and ayato is NOT like makoto ito from school days whose probably both the most hated & the most despised MC EVER in any harem series!!! hell even touma let alone tenchi , his brother kenchi and seina yamada will never do to the girls in their lives what that bastard did to his.

If you think Makoto is bad, his dad is even worse. spoiler[His father, Tomaru Sawagoe, in the other Overflow games related to the School Days franchise, not only sleep (some were non-consensual) and abandoned his girlfriends(one of them being his sister!) and their children, he even did the same thing to his daughters when they were older! In fact, some of Makoto love interests in the game are his half-sisters!]
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked, there's no Love Hina
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Holo Wolfgod wrote:
I'm shocked, there's no Love Hina

The girls from those series more or less have their heads screwed on right compared to the ones mentioned. Might as well ask why Ai Yori Aoshi didn't make the cut.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Arpeggio of Blue Steel really doesn't belong; while just about all the girls are insane, it's not a harem.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, on the other hand, should be in the list. It's definitely a harem, and the girls are all completely nuts.

haha how could i forget about this one, although I guess you could argue Maria was relatively haremless.

Regarding Arpeggio , technically there are two girls that like/liked him, takako and the girl who may or may have not been the head of the fog fleet. I guess if you throw in Iona, who is the closest thing to a main heronine, and who although not showing romantic feelings, probably views Gunzou as her most important person, it could very loosely/technically qualify.

Look the guy from school days was a jerk, but ill be honest, his type is probably very common in real life, especially as a horny teen, and people like that are really common throughout all ages, I know people friends and family members that have like 6-10 kids with multiple women, with kids up to 40 plus years apart in age. Is the MC a failure morally, sure, but he I honestly don't think he really did anything that crossed the line in terms of things like rape or physical abuse. He was just a horny kid who had girls throw themselves at him and he was like , why not? Def does not warrant a brutal murder in any case. I feel like people are to desensitized since its a fictional character, but I imagine if the scenairo played out in real life, nobody would be saying that he deserved it, and I think most would agree the girl would either be put in a mental facility or prison for life.

Last edited by CrownKlown on Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taskforce

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
Why wasn't Date A Live on this list? A harem with girls that if you don't keep them happy, can destroy everything around them. Sometimes they can even almost cause major catastrophe without the MC even doing a thing through their own misunderstandings. Besides, It is just too bad we haven't gotten a season 3 with the Origami Tobiichi arc animated. There is no way once anyone has seen that arc animated, this show wouldn't make the list. However, even without that, it should be there.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
I would argue most harem have insane choices when you consider the antics that come with the girls. "MonMusu" is another case since it has interspecies romance.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tenchi Muyo? Sasami/Tsunami. It's weird... plus there's some waiting involved... but not insane. Also, that Kiyone doesn't exist, she's just a figment of Mihoshi's imagination.

This really belongs on the "Guide to TM" thread, but: THIS is why not to start with the OAV series before Universe--

... no, it's better to skip Universe entirely. It's its own thing, ultimately more shallow than what it's worth. Even the List combined them without thinking too deeply about it. OVA Mihoshi is more "idiot savant" detective, less the total ditz that Universe created by splitting off her inspector skills into its own inexplicable and pointless character- both as a character in a harem anime and as Mihoshi's partner. Also, "Mihoshi, Super Detective" isn't a fan theory, it's the plot of "Here Comes Jurai".

... and the Night Before the Carnival.... and Zero Ryoko.... and We Need Tenchi.... and Mishoshi Falls to the Land of Stars. Most of the first two OVA series, it's only after Universe that Mihoshi went full ditz.

Never was a fan of Kiyone or Universe. Could you tell?

As for Love Hina, Otohime invalidates the show from this List, though you'd have to read the manga to fully appreciate how she does it. Date a Live? It's the situation that's insane, not the characters. Ok, Kurumi but every harem should have at least one like her.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
I think Girls Bravo doesn't really belong on the list, as the point of the series is that there is one "right" girl, Miharu.

In Ai Yori Aoshi the two leads are not only a done deal as a couple but already betrothed. I still find it hard to call it anything but a harem.

[edit]#damnyouautocorrect[/edit]

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about Dramatical Murder but I would've thought it'd have made the list. But maybe not every route in it is messed up. Not sure.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But they be boats

Arr, that they be!

Animegomaniac wrote:
Never was a fan of Kiyone or Universe. Could you tell?

Yeah, it's pretty clear. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
What is with the lack of mentions for "Sekirei"? It's like "Pokemon" but with T&A.
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Mojave wrote:
I think Girls Bravo doesn't really belong on the list, as the point of the series is that there is one "right" girl, Miharu.

In Ai Yori Aoshi the two leads are not only a done deal as a copy but already betrothed. I still find it hard to call it anything but a harem.

Ah, you misunderstand. I didn't mean that it didn't qualify as a harem. I meant that it didn't qualify as a harem where all the options are terrible, since the main point of the series is that all the girls but Miharu are terrible to Yukinari.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3