• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hollywood Blues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
...anime/manga itself has a long and storied tradition of liberally borrowing and adapting stories from foreign cultures, from famous Western writers like Dumas (Gankutsuou) and Shakespeare (Blast of Tempest and many others), to Russian ballets (Princess Tutu), to Persian legends (Arslan Senki). Even Dragon Ball is just Toriyama's liberal adaptation of the Chinese novel, "Journey to the West."

But note that all of your examples are not titled after their original sources. That tells viewers in advance not to necessarily expect a retelling of the original story. It goes back to what I was saying earlier - if you change the title you can adapt your heart out. If you use the original title, people expect you to tell the original story, or at least be faithful to its characters and setting.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
In other words, people judge a book (or anime) by its cover, even after they've been told their entire lives not to do that. Wink

Personally, I've never cared much about titles. If it's all adapting from the same source material, then it doesn't matter to me if you're calling your adaptation "Romeo & Juliet" or "Romeo x Juliet" or "West Side Story." I'm just interested to see what your take on it is and whether you're bringing something different to the table that makes it worth investing my time in your adaptation. But that's just my perspective as a writer, which I obviously don't expect everyone to agree with.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
So if West Side Story had been titled Romeo and Juliet, you wouldn't have been kind of gobsmacked to see New York gangs singing and dancing in the streets and no characters named Romeo or Juliet? If you use Shakespeare's dialog, you can call it Romeo & + and Juliet, no problem, but if you write your own script and setting, you need a different title. Hollywood used to understand that. It seems they no longer do.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
In other words, people judge a book (or anime) by its cover, even after they've been told their entire lives not to do that. Wink

Personally, I've never cared much about titles. If it's all adapting from the same source material, then it doesn't matter to me if you're calling your adaptation "Romeo & Juliet" or "Romeo x Juliet" or "West Side Story." I'm just interested to see what your take on it is and whether you're bringing something different to the table that makes it worth investing my time in your adaptation. But that's just my perspective as a writer, which I obviously don't expect everyone to agree with.

Wouldn't an actual writer want to make their own work rather than perverting an established story? If you want to make a movie about a teenage girl who becomes a YouTube pop star, don't slap the brandname Jem on it as an insult to the original in a fit of laziness. Use original names and titles. If you're making an adaption though, make a good adaption that replicates the experience in another medium. When I see panel to scene in an anime it makes me appreciate their attention to detail. Add some filler or original stuff to enhance it and expand on scenes if you want, sure, but otherwise keep your 'creative vision' to your own stuff and don't go full Hollywood and turn Goku into a relatable high school kid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5