• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vycey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I picked up a copy of Rakugo Shinju as soon as it was available... and I'm a little disappointed in the actual quality of the volume. Not sure if it's the same for every copy, but the bottoms of plenty of pages seem to have been cropped out or cut off, meaning the last few words in several speech bubbles at the bottom are cut in half and panels seem incomplete. It's a real shame since this was one of my most anticipated releases since it got licensed.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Vycey wrote:
I picked up a copy of Rakugo Shinju as soon as it was available... and I'm a little disappointed in the actual quality of the volume. Not sure if it's the same for every copy, but the bottoms of plenty of pages seem to have been cropped out or cut off, meaning the last few words in several speech bubbles at the bottom are cut in half and panels seem incomplete. It's a real shame since this was one of my most anticipated releases since it got licensed.

Ooh, that's concerning... I was thinking of buying it...... Now I'm hesitant. I've been messed over by bad manga prints before.

Anyway.
For whatever reason DBS review is listed twice on the list page.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
Vycey wrote:

Hmm, i haven't found the time to properly read it yet, but a quick thumbing through couldn't really confirm this. Since none of the reviews mentioned it either, you probably just got unlucky and should get another copy.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to say I'm very glad to see more manga content on ANN. Since I read more than I watch stuff I don't come around much anymore after several of the old columns on manga ended.

This guide is making me realize so many ongoing series have mostly eaten up my monthly book budget though. I hadn't realized the English market had picked up so much.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Sadly, a Jack London story set in Hokkaido would probably involve white men killing Japanese by the thousands. London was racist AF, and wrote at least one story advocating for genocide against the Chinese.

As for Ainu character, the village in Kuma Miko is supposed to be Ainu, though I don't think the author put in any research beyond skimming the Wikipedia article and looking at pictures of traditional Ainu dress.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Descending Stories and Golden Kamuy both sound great. I was hoping I could get away without trying the latter, since it seems like the kind of series that could easily become 20+ volumes long (and I'm reading enough long manga series right now as it is), but it also sounds good enough that I don't want to miss it.

Some of the other first volumes reviewed so far sound interesting as well, though nothing I'd want to pick up right away. This goes double for GTO: Paradise Lost; the original GTO never quite clicked with me, even though I really enjoyed both seasons of the anime adaptation, and if this new series is more of the same, well...

Vycey wrote:

That is a shame, and definitely sounds like a printing mishap. Have you tried getting it exchanged?
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm... not sure how I feel about an Appleseed manga that isn't made by Masamune Shirow. Then again, given how his art style developed over the years, I'm not sure I'd want him to draw one now.

I have the original four manga releases plus the bonus book, and I absolutely love them. Even more than the Ghost in the Shell manga he also made, which was also fun, but... yeah, Appleseed was just the perfect blend of action, social interactions and humor. (It was also the first manga I ever bought and read, but hey.... wait, scratch that: I read his "Orion" before that, but... while it was amusing, I had no idea what was going on half the time in that particular work.)
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
I've been reading a lot of (digital) manga the last couple of years, and am really excited to see ANN get (back) into that side of things. Of the eligible/covered series, I already have Royal Tutor & Descending Stories on my tablet, waiting their turn, plus Kakegurui and Murcielago on the recommendations of friends & reviews here and elsewhere. So I'm looking forward to reading reviews for those.

I'm not sure if the seasonal+vol 1 format will work long-term. I know most of the series I read I get into when they are already a few volumes in (or a lot), and then if I like it, I'll pick up a bunch at once. But where reviews are handy is in discovery of new-to-me series/authors, it doesn't matter if the actual series is new / newly released.

So maybe we don't need ongoing volume reviews of individual series, or even This Month in Manga. But something like a round-up by theme, genre/subgenre, or If you Liked this Anime, Try these Manga, would be really helpful, especially in the long-term/archival-search.
JR-1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't expect Delicious in Dungeon to be so divisive. I guess it kinda depends on your thoughts on typical fantasy DnD tropes in the first place.

That said, personally I think Delicious in Dungeon is great because it's not a one-trick pony of "cooking monster" joke. Latter volumes goes in-depth with characterization and the world's background. There's plenty of great character moments, serious moments, and not to mention the artwork's getting better which may sway people who have something like Nik and Rebecca's initial impression. Well, it may also on the opposite side alienate people who come for the cooking monster joke in the first place though.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
I missed the Golden Kamuy review that was a summer title I was one of the titles I am looking forward to most. I guess my sense of humor is vastly different than the reviewers because I was even laughing at the page images for Ahogaru: Clueless Girl and have pre-ordered the first five volumes.

If I was not already interested in it the vastly negative responses would have made me want to read it out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. If I read really negative reviews of something it makes me want to read the work in question as much. As if I read a really positive review of a work. I mean I used to use worst Manga of the year lists as recommended reading lists back in 2010.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Delicious in Dungeon has a bit of an odd sense of humour and the pacing is rather slow, but i'm enjoying it so far. The characters are fun and the recipes are rather creative. Smile

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness sounds very interesting but also not like something i'm in the right mood to read right now...gonna order it nevertheless because i definitely want to support more manga like this being brought over here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if I want to read Delicious in Dungeon or not. It sounds more like a cooking show, than a man trying to rescue his sister. Even one of the reviewers remarks that the man wasn't too concerned about his sister.

Golden Kamuy sounds just about right. Good old adventure, with blood and guts. I have pre-ordered it already.

With the reviewers trigger warning us to death about My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, I kinda of lost my urge to look at this one despite the cute character design.

Hoping ANN will do Land of Lustrous. Wonder who decided on that title as I don't believe it translates to that from Houseki no Kuni.

Sad to hear the sort of negative reviews for Grimgar. Though I do agree that one of the biggest failures of the series is the addressing the 'who' and 'why' of the summoning of the heroes. I am sure magic will be the culprit for their continuing failure to address why they don't remember their past, and why they don't ask any questions of the people running the show. spoiler[It is probably some conspiracy to forcible recruit slave soldiers to do their fighting for them. Suppressing or eliminating their memories of their lives, probably makes them more amiable in guiding them to the path of killing monsters, instead of other less dangerous professions.] Hopefully the heroes will wise up, and get their bloody revenge on their secret masters.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She remarks to her friends that she wishes she were a boy in Tokyo, seeing both being male and in the big city as indicative of more freedom.

This makes sense as an interpretation, but it wasn't the impression I got from the movie -- my impression was that her "handsome boy" specification was just the aftereffects of her "dream" the previous day.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
@Shay Guy
I still haven't seen the film (it never came to my area), so I can see how it could make her dream feel different. Actually, in the novel I thought it was more about being a hot guy as part of the fantasy; it's only the manga that gave me the "more freedom" impression.

@TarsTarkas
If it was the cute character design that drew you to My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness rather than the subject matter, I suspect you wouldn't enjoy it as a story. "Cute" is definitely not a good descriptor for the plot! It's good, but it's heavy.

@Utsuro no Hako
Yeah, I know - I don't actually like Jack London's actual plots/characters all that much. But since the authors who mimicked his style sans racism aren't widely read any more, London was the best example I could come up with.

@Vycey
We received digital copies of Descending Stories, so I don't know about the print version. When I looked through it at the store, I didn't see what you're describing, but since I once got a random misprint of a nonfiction book with whole chapters in the wrong order, it definitely happens.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is great. Pretty emotional though, especially if you can relate (I could only relate to some elements, but even then it was a pretty big impact). The art is cute and simple but the actual content is pretty hardcore. Definitely not for everyone, but it's really worth checking out. I'm really glad an English publisher was game enough to pick it up. I never would've expected that.

Looking forward to the next lot of reviews!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4