• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are Anime Opening And Ending Themes Chosen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The business of anime songs is a huge one, and operates as a market separate from the rest of the Japanese music scene.

I imagine this state of affairs is responsible for the fact that Crunchyroll seldom include subtitles for the songs featured in the episodes they stream. A pervasive roll of red tape, presumably.

OTOH, Funi practically always subbed the OP/ED. On the gripping hand, Amazon has subs for the OP/ED for practically for all it's shows too.

So, it doesn't seem to be a money issue or a red tape issue.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
OTOH, Funi practically always subbed the OP/ED. On the gripping hand, Amazon has subs for the OP/ED for practically for all it's shows too.

So, it doesn't seem to be a money issue or a red tape issue.

It does vary from company to company. I remember it being a big deal when Sentai's early simulcasts included translated credits, because most simulcasts hadn't done so up to that point. A lot of people were surprised when HoTD not only included full song translations, but also full or nearly full English credits.

It seems that Sentai subs the songs more often than not, while CR is very hit or miss. The Viz simulcasts I've seen usually didn't have the song subbed, and I haven't really watched any Funi simulcasts since FMA:B.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
one of those weird AnimeToonz CDs where Kikuko Inoue covers a bunch of anime theme songs as techno remixes.

I didn't know Inoue did one of those. I know Ishida Youko did a few, some of which did get US editions, which I have copies of.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
I remember watching sometime in '09 a (now removed) YT video with anime industry veteran Fred Ladd (who worked on the original "Astro Boy" dub). He said that the Japanese anime OP were influenced by the English dub OP of them.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
[...]

I know dubs used to dub OP and EDs back in the day, [...]

IIRC, only Funimation did that.

Viz dubbed Ranma 1/2 songs and AnimEigo dubbed songs for the original BubbleGum Crisis, too... it wasn't just Funi doing it.

@Sakagami Tomoyo

Man, you're taking me back...

Ishida Yoko actually tried to bring the ParaPara craze Stateside... I saw her perform @ Otakon [2001, IIRC], got her autograph and own some of the imported ParaPara MAX CD's as well as all 3 domestic ones from Geneon. Geneon also released a ParaPara DVD, which was a free outdoor ParaPara concert she performed live at Universal Studios theme park in the US for the confused onlookers. It came packaged with a ParaPara dance instruction DVD in one version. I have the concert-only version. Geneon thought ParaPara would catch on so much in the US they even had Ishida live with a US host family & learn English...and she was just in her early 20's then, having just given us "Otome no Policy" for Sailor Moon a few years prior....

Inoue Kikuko did, indeed, release a CD in the US where she sang various anisongs with a techno beat called AnimeToonz. There was a 2nd volume with a different singer that I never got. I have 2 copies of the Inoue Kikuko disc, one still shrinkwrapped.

Now that I have shared more then anyone cared to remember about these things, back to the regularly scheduled topic!
PMDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
One of my music hobbies is picking up songs that were done as prospects for openings or endings, but didn't get used for whatever reason.

Usually this is because they're not good enough. There are a LOT of these. The idol machine was in full scramble mode for years.

And sometimes songs done specifically for one show are instead actually used for something else. These are sometimes astonishing, as melodies that should not be there ARE there and a small secret is revealed.

Here's a great one. Everyone is likely familiar with ZZ Gundam's OP song "Silent Voice" performed by Jun Hiroe. It's got a wonderful melody and Jun's vocals give it wings. Great song. But that song melody, if not the lyrics, was originally written for L-Gaim but never used. Instead, L-Gaim got title songs by MIO, and a perfectly great song got booted over to a show where got reworked and became far more famous anyway.
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:
Viz dubbed Ranma 1/2 songs and AnimEigo dubbed songs for the original BubbleGum Crisis, too... it wasn't just Funi doing it.

Media Blasters also got in on the act--Magic Knight Rayearth's songs were dubbed, and they did so for the first part of Rurouni Kenshin, as well (only the first part, though--I believe that's about the point where someone on the Japanese side of things caught wind of it and told them to knock it off).

[Edit]: see my edit above. Errinundra.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:

According to this source (and this one, as well) "Connect" was composed -- both music & lyrics -- by Sho Watanabe.

I know you said nevermind, but I'd like to point out that while Connect is by ClariS, Magia (the ED) is done by Yuki Kajiura. Sorry if that was part of your realization already.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Media Blasters also got in on the act--Magic Knight Rayearth's songs were dubbed, and they did so for the first part of Rurouni Kenshin, as well (only the first part, though--I believe that's about the point where someone on the Japanese side of things caught wind of it and told them to knock it off).
Pioneer/Geneon also got in on the action(eg, Tenchi). Can we tell what sort of overlap there is between those that got new themes in the dub and those that were broadcast on TV?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2