• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
As presented yeah, I'd say Caster enhanced a preexisting weapon rather than creating a new one.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Really into the Fate series, I've watched all the anime from UBW, to Prisma Illya, to Carnival Phantasm. Fate/Apocrypha had quite a slow start, but that's not bad for 24 episodes and familiarizes you with the premise. Now the true battle starts, and Sieg-kun is making friends! So far, I'd rate it 8.5/10, but it has the potential to be in my Top 3 series if executed well.

On a related note, I never knew Roche is the Master of "Caster of Black" until I peeked in the wikia. Especially with how they address each other...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote

Sieg's prison break series of actions is actually helping the red faction by depriving the Black servants of their homunculus battery reserve. He's got nothing on his own to go with, but the conditions behind the fight in episode 1 have now been established. All that remains is the transformation trigger.

Red Caster's abilities appear to be two-fold: the ability to enchant weapons to quality levels equivalent to Noble Phantasms and the ability to conjure illusions to befuddle and confuse his victims. He's completely useless in a straight fight, but the Caster class fits his support role in this war very well. Effective enough to force the Black faction to waste one of their precious Command Spells just to pacify a servant.

Shirou's one of the Church Executioners, just like Ciel and the original Kotomine. Since he shares his surname with the Kotomine of the 4th War (even though Fate/Zero didn't happen it appears the world timeline is still consistent, after all Zouken shows up in a cameo at the start), it appears his training with the Black Keys and his fighting ability in general might be a gift from his foster father.

The red faction basically plays with two Caster classes in this War since Semiramis is essentially a Caster in a similar vein to the original one in F/SN. Granted most of her power is based on keeping the Hanging Gardens in play, but she's much more capable than the "official" Caster of the red faction in getting direct kills.

What on earth did the black faction do to Spartacus?! With regeneration like that, he'd give the original Berserker from F/SN a run for his money. Should be fun seeing Spartacus run into Jeanne next episode or the week after.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Pretty good episode, a lot of action from almost all the servants. Frankenstein's backstory really is tragic considering that she just wanted her father to love her. But instead, he treated her as a monster. At least Frankenstein's current master respects her more.

Spartacus vs Atalanta is a strange fight so far. Won't last long by the looks of it.

Astolfo vs Mordred got me hyped although it's pretty clear that Astolfo is being outmatched so far. However, I gotta respect Astolfo for honoring Siegfried's death.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

Shakespere- who did manage to make a weapon for Kotomine, but still his only other input is poetry making.

Did you infer that or spoil yourself and everyone else here with that information?

I am pretty sure that's what I saw in the last episode did not really look into the specific wording whether it was made/tempered/forged/recreated or whatever else; as I already said, I am not looking up any background or looking ahead of the story.

Episode 9- well Shakespeare did come useful, I actually quite liked his power of messing with people's heads. The fight Atlanta vs Berserker though... Looks like she would not be able to beat him with his seemingly endless regeneration.

Looking forward to next episode, as finally things are seeming to pick up a bit, although still waiting for some masters/servants to disappear off the scene, which is far too crowded.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote

This episode wraps up the final mystery from episode #1, so everything from here onwards is an untold story.

Viewers get a little reminder of why the Saber class is considered the "strongest" of the seven summonable servants (despite how ridiculously powerful both Lancers on either side are in this War).

He wouldn't have known it, but using his final command seal to unlock Berserker's full powerful of her Noble Phantasm proved to be the key to allowing Sieg to call upon his namesake's powers (if only for a short while). Since he's moping about the loss of the servant, not sure he's actually realised what's happened. Very nice visuals for Berserker's last stand.

My guess is next week should conclude the Saber showdown and shift the scene back to Ruler and the rapidly approaching Spartacus. Black Rider is effectively out of the battle and just an audience member while the two Sabers duke it out, but he'll probably come round and save Sieg(fried) if he ends up losing juice before the clash of the Phantasms is decided.

Even if Red Saber wins this clash, it's more or less guaranteed her inability to be thorough on the battlefield is going to cost her down the line. There were signs of it already earlier in the series during the first series of fights, but her overconfidence and lack of attention to defence is proving to be something opponents can exploit.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, Mordred. You're making it really hard to like you right now...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Damn it, Mordred. You're making it really hard to like you right now...

Mordred is just doing a job "nothing personal", Sieg though kinda earned that sword through his guts trying to act tough against a servant.

Lucky for Sieg, he is not only NOT a human, but has been blessed by several separate Black Servants be it willingly or circumstantially.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Mordred is just doing a job "nothing personal",

I know, but that entire scene was framing her as the villain, beating up best boi Rider and killing top waifu Berserker.

Not sure if it was wise on Voltron's part to use 2 command seals in one battle.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
What would one expect otherwise?! For Red Saber to shake hands with Black Rider and call back another day?! As already noted, she's there to do a job and it wouldn't make any sense otherwise.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Don't try to apply logic to a comment clearly based on emotion. I still like Mordred, of course, but it's not like I can cheer her on while she one sidedly mops the floor with characters I also like.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Don't try to apply logic to a comment clearly based on emotion. I still like Mordred, of course, but it's not like I can cheer her on while she one sidedly mops the floor with characters I also like.

I can't read your mind, so I respond based on what I read. It wouldn't matter if the comment was based on logic or emotion.

It's a Grail War, so anything going against the grain (like servants from rival camps fraternising with each other) wouldn't make any sense based on what we've been shown to date. Someone else on this thread wanted casualties to thin the cast, the last episode delivered on that front.

It's not Mordred isn't acting out of character anyway based on her flashbacks. If she can toy with her opponents because of overwhelming superiority, she will do so.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
And where exactly did you read that I thought Mordred was out of character? Obviously she's not and there's nothing narratively wrong with the course of events. That doesn't mean I have to like it. "Not liking" something and thinking "it's bad" are two separate concepts.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
No unconditional love for characters you've sided with? Fine by me. Not sure why you're complaining then since there are other characters in your good books.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Heh, you shouldn't trust anyone who makes a claim of unconditional love. But even then if you love someone that doesn't mean you have to accept all their actions. I love my cat but when she shits on the rug you better believe I'm not going to be happy about it.

And who's complaining? I merely said what my emotional reaction to that scene was and then you guys trying to tell me I shouldn't feel that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13