• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
{Removed}

I think she is simply being sex positive about the situation yet she still has issues with society being overly judgmental on arbitrary issues such as gender.

That said, the gyaru-like fashion choice makes sense considering her usual attitude which makes an amusing combo with her Master's Punk biker look.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I think she is simply being sex positive about the situation yet she still has issues with society being overly judgmental on arbitrary issues such as gender.

Remember she's a knight from medieval times, meaning she probably doesn't want to be seen as a woman because women were considered "weak" and unfit to be knights. That's why Arturia had to pretend to be a man.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Character development time (with a little bit of action thrown in as Black Saber and Red Lancer square off).

Viewers who have seen the promotional posters featuring Jeanne D'Arc and the brown-haired youth next to her with the sword now know who the latter is. Those not familiar with the novel will have to wait a while before finding out how the two of them get together.

On one hand, the pacing is slow since the show has plenty of time to give viewers more detail on some of the servants and masters. On the other hand, Red Berserker is charging straight for the enemy camp alone and he's probably going to get overwhelmed through sheer numbers. Next week guarantees action, but why would the red camp risk something so strategically suicidal?

Red Lancer is strong, no doubt about that. But is he so strong that he can take on Black Saber for an entire night without his own master nearby to support with mana? Even with his true identity revealed, he can't break the rules regarding servants in combat. As for Siegfried, he seems somewhat resigned to the fact he's repeating what he did when he was alive. Still, being tough enough to survive full-on attacks from a servant as strong as Karna shows he's not a pushover compared to his red counterpart.

Bearing in mind how this title is based on the Type-Moon universe but written by different authors (who coincidentally are also responsible for the Fate/Grand Order storylines), the different approach to the original work is going to attract and put off franchise fans in equal measure. The adaptation will need to work hard if it's to be remembered in the same vein as the Ufotable offerings.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
A quick question, does anyone think watching the previous series of Fate would be needed? Getting into this franchise is something I really have been meaning to do, I actually do own Stay Night and Zero, and previously stalled half way through Stay Night like a year ago. Just wondering if I should force myself to finish what I have already, or maybe watch this which could push me to finally watch the rest.

Watch all of the previous stuff. You won't regret it, I promise!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
You know with each episode I get the impression they want us to side with the Black faction...
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought we're supposed to side with Ruler because Jeanne d'Arc is the only female person of any significance that Japanese people have ever heard of and that automatically makes her morally just.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Watched the first episode....

OH GOD. IT'S SO PRETTY!! *_____*

This is A-1!? I thought Ufotable was doing it!! Though it takes them years to do anything. Anime hyper
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I suggest Vaisaga that moving forward you forgo any further tasteless & misogynistic comments like the one in your post on page 1 that I just removed. Since it was just brought to our attention and is 1 week old you are only getting this warning and nothing further. If you make another comment like that though you could wind up being placed on moderation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so after 6 years of no major issues a single comment is enough to potentially get me on moderation? Bit extreme, isn't it?

But you have a point, my language was in poor taste. If I were to say "If Mordred didn't want to be treated like a woman she might want to choose an outfit that doesn't show off her female features", would that be fine?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote

Unsurprisingly Red Berserker bites the dust, but one gets the feeling he was used as a disposable pawn with Red Archer and Lancer tagging along to scout out the opposition. If the Berserker can't be reliably manipulated, might as well send it on a suicide mission to wreck as much damage as possible.

It IS odd that most of the red servants have never met their masters and that contact is made solely through Kotomine. Perhaps a sign of things to come?

Both of the Archers in this series are skilled shots, but it seems one of them has an appointment with an opposing hero in the other camp seeing as they knew each other in life (and were teacher and student to boot).

If Siegfried achieved what he wanted in this episode, it remains to be seen how and why there's another Siegfried whom Mordred ends up fighting in episode 1 and calls that one an "imposter". By all accounts it should be the newly resurrected homunculus with the new ticker, but how does he assume that form and gain the same powers the original had while transformed?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
If you make a post after watching the raw, please use spoiler tags or wait until fansubs are out. Since there's no set schedule for subs people will come into the thread not knowing your post is about the newest episode. I at least managed to stop reading after your first line but others might not have been so lucky.

At any rate, introducing clear MC-kun this late has me resistant to accept him. Feels like a show take over from the previously focused on characters which is always annoying. Moreso if he's assumedly going to be Jeanne's love interest too.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If you make a post after watching the raw, please use spoiler tags or wait until fansubs are out. Since there's no set schedule for subs people will come into the thread not knowing your post is about the newest episode. I at least managed to stop reading after your first line but others might not have been so lucky.

At any rate, introducing clear MC-kun this late has me resistant to accept him. Feels like a show take over from the previously focused on characters which is always annoying. Moreso if he's assumedly going to be Jeanne's love interest too.

Subs are already out so spoiler tags are no longer necessary as of this post. From what I can tell one group normally releases on a Monday (Sunday for the American continent).

He still doesn't have a name, so until he gets one it's going to be unwieldy calling him "Homunculus with transplant". To be fair his "introduction" wasn't direct and in-your-face since viewers unfamiliar with the source material don't realise how important he is despite the attention given to him by Astolfo and the other friendy black faction servants.
Iconking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I was so pumped for the invulnerable-except-for-one-weakspot battle between Archilles and Siegfried, guess thats not happening. Also seems like they can be hurt regardless, so I guess servants are just really strong fighters with SOME regard to their legends?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Red team is full of SSR Servants and one throw away servant. Black team is F2P, there is no way that they can win.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Unsurprisingly Red Berserker bites the dust, but one gets the feeling he was used as a disposable pawn

I'm not familiar with the source material so it's just a hunch, but I suspect his role in the story isn't finished just yet.

Iconking wrote:
I was so pumped for the invulnerable-except-for-one-weakspot battle between Archilles and Siegfried, guess thats not happening. Also seems like they can be hurt regardless, so I guess servants are just really strong fighters with SOME regard to their legends?

It might just be that wounds to them do no lasting damage/they recover. Because I'm pretty sure their invulnerability are still major factors. Maybe we'll still see that battle with MC-kun acting as Siegfried's proxy, using his powers. (Although a downgrade, to be sure.)

Spotlesseden wrote:
Red team is full of SSR Servants and one throw away servant. Black team is F2P, there is no way that they can win.

But Atalanta is only SR! (And Chiron, Achilles, and Semiramis are still unknown, although Semi is pretty much guaranteed to be SSR.) But yeah, Black Team is pretty sumanai.

That reminds me, no Mordred this week makes me sad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13