• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to when the bunny eared girl will be introduced. It was amusing to discover that leader had already figured out about Riko and Reg's little excursion and was using it as a training exercise. Argh, waiting a week for each episode is tough. Would love to be able to binge this puppy.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious as to when the bunny eared girl will be introduced.

Assuming the current pace and faithfulness continues, then you'd first see her during the second half of episode eight. Of course, that could always be thrown off by skipping or condensing certain things, which often occurs.

Blood- wrote:
Would love to be able to binge this puppy.

An understandable sentiment, but it's actually good that you can't because it would just fly by that way and leave you hungry for more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Parse Error. Yes, I suppose having the episodes parcelled out does have the advantage of forcing me to savour the title as opposed to greedily devouring it in a sitting or two. It does make it feel more like a journey that way.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
We got more kids walking through the woods, now with more lasers. The background as they continue their adventure has been pretty consistently amazing for me. I'm really looking forward the seeing Ozen in motion next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

That monster was certainly creepy, and it would have been the end of Riko pretty quickly. I guess that we are getting into the pretty messed up stuff, what with seeing a corpse like that.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Ep 5
In another thread somewhere someone complained that going down the Abyss was made so easy contrary to scary legends. I suppose those Corpse creatures prove that while physically you can make it to the 2nd layer fine (albeith with a handy robot with stretchy hand), if you're not prepared.
I like how pragmatic Riko was with food. It's sad when a human gets eaten by the creature, but in the end, all is well if you're not hungry eating the creature.
I hoped to see more of Ozen, but I suppose good things come to those who wait. One more episode. She did not look very welcoming though from that glimpse we got of her.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
If we get nothing else from this show, at least it will finally shut up the anti-CG crowd. 5 episodes in, and this still looks amazing.

Episode 5
spoiler[After this episode, I'm starting to think Reg is a time traveler. His dream where he killed Riko was a direct mirror of the events that happened later. He even comments that it seemed familiar right before fired the Incinerator. Also, we never actually saw him climb out of the abyss. Maybe the bottom of the abyss is the end of time?]

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, those corpse weepers (great name, btw) were deeply creepy. I was all, "YEAH!!!" when Reg blasted them with the Incinerator. I like how the show maintains a level of "realism" with things. Like, yes, Reg has this super powerful weapon, but when he uses it, it drains a lot of his power and he blacks out.

Definitely intrigued by Ozen and her companion. Ozen's white whistle looks pretty bad-ass, but also gives the impression that's she's not a light, happy-go-lucky figure.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
If we get nothing else from this show, at least it will finally shut up the anti-CG crowd. 5 episodes in, and this still looks amazing.

Was there CG? I hadn't really noticed.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Great episode, I love how they are making this fantasy adventure look like both a physical and mental struggle. The part where Reg desperately tries to save Riko from those corpse weeper really bought out the character chemistry between the two. Even afterwards, Reg had a dark moment in his mind as to what potentially would of happened if he wasn't there.

By world fiction standards, it seems that each layer does have much more dangerous monsters. This is just the second layer as well...

The pacing still feels good for this show. Ouzen's appearance at the end is getting me excited next time!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I don't know if this will be a common opinion, but I really like everything about Ozen. Although there are all these creepy parts that I am half expecting her to really turn out monstrous, we don't know what the deal with the corpse torso monster thing is. Like is it something weird like the real Ozen in the cube while the body we have been seeing is some sort of puppet thing which turns into that monster we saw?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6

I don't know if this will be a common opinion, but I really like everything about Ozen. Although there are all these creepy parts that I am half expecting her to really turn out monstrous, we don't know what the deal with the corpse torso monster thing is. Like is it something weird like the real Ozen in the cube while the body we have been seeing is some sort of puppet thing which turns into that monster we saw?

Without spoiling anything, I'll just say this: spoiler[That box changes EVERYTHING. I'd call it the biggest WTF moment of the season, but nothing's topping "Triple Hitler" at this point Wink]

{Edit}: Saying "without spoiling things" and then giving away info does just that. This is also not the first time you've done this, and been reported for it, where you say something like "I won't spoil things", but then you give away massive spoilers by inferring critical points. From now on you need to start using spoiler tags. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Without spoiling anything, I'll just say this: [HUGE HONKIN' SPOILER]

Please use spoiler tags so that people who want to enjoy the show on its own terms can do so.

Not going into the specific details doesn't mean you aren't spoiling anything. It's no better than saying something like "I won't tell you exactly how it happens, but man, just wait until Character X dies, it's gonna be such a big shock!" I know you don't mean any harm, but I've heard from quite a few people who have given up on watching this show because they're always told roughly what to expect in advance.

Blood- wrote:
Thanks for the info, Parse Error.

You're welcome, but since they're trying hard to cover every detail it's going to end up coming later than I expected.

As nice as the backgrounds have been all along, they really outdid themselves with the Seeker Camp. They also did a decent job so far of translating Ozen's twisted expressions into animation. It would have been nice though if they had stuck to showing Riko above the waist while she was naked instead of that crudely half-drawn nudity they went with. The scene is still there for people to be offended over if they're so inclined, so all they accomplished was making it look sloppy and ugly.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Without spoiling anything

Please use spoiler tags so that people who want to enjoy the show on its own terms can do so.

Not going into the specific details doesn't mean you aren't spoiling anything. It's no better than saying something like "I won't tell you exactly how it happens, but man, just wait until Character X dies, it's gonna be such a big shock!" I know you don't mean any harm, but I've heard from quite a few people who have given up on watching this show because they're always told roughly what to expect in advance.

This is why I am afraid to read any discussion comments here or elsewhere. Don't know what it is with this show, but every single person who knows the source material feels the need to trumpet some sort of more or less veiled spoilers, it's worse than reading comments under Attack on Titan youtube videos.

Aside from that

I loved the episode. I thought Corpse Weepers were freaky, but that torso thingy was even creepier. I don't know if they said whether Marluk was aware of it/came across it before? I would have thought she would have, living with Ozen. I am sure she saw a share of strange creatures herself.

Ozen looks like an interesting character. Very unsettling, but Riko also seemed to keep her resolve to go down and find her mother. If it was not the mother who wrote the note though, who was it? And who would have made a grave for her? Would we assume it could have been Reg before losing his memory?

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
@v1cious
That halfhearted "I'm not gonna spoil it but jk I totally am" is getting really annoying. All you gotta say is wait for next episode. You don't deserve that wink emote.

Anyways, I've loved how they've done Ozen, there's just something about her whole getup that is really aesthetically pleasing to me. The animation of the chest-thing was really great too, bringing out the creep factor. I'm looking forward to next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8