• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (series' finale):

So we get to see Mitty and Nanachi's story including when she used to be human. It's told from Nanachi's point of view to Reg.

This series' finale shows a darker side of experiments and how Mitty turned into a Narehate. I actually think it was pretty thought provoking as it details how grim this anime can get. Pretty thrilling finale with the emotions. The part with Mitty's transformation really took my breath awhile with the horror.

Thought this finale was unique with the amount of narratives even compared to the other epiosdes. Not to mention, it has a longer length than some of the other episodes. Nanachi's tears and emotions made me tear up a little inside. Glad to see Riko waking up and spending more time with Reg.

Rating this as excellent. Such an emotional and thrilling journey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
And the series ends out it started; amazingly.
I am going to straight up and say it that the finale had my tears flowing. I was kind of thinking that Nanachi was hinted too strongly for such a little time in the series, but she is a simply amazing character, and the understanding of her we got here was enough to cap the series off in a perfect way. Getting to know who Nanachi was a person, socially introverted even as a human, and despite her circumstances never resorted to stealing, she made quite the bond with Mitty. And was so heartbreaking as she saw what happened to her best friend, that she could not even put her out of that misery. Everything about how Nanachi tried her best to make Mitty comfortable, and try to act in a way that could keep some of Mitty's dignity, but also accepted that it would ultimately be a lost cause and the only way was for her to be put to rest. The execution scene itself was just top notch, that she was sending Mitty off with the collection of plushies she made for her, with a beautiful ring of flowers, that right before it was supposed to be done she broke down crying and consoled her, before giving the last order. That everything of Nanachi's non-human appearance and introverted behaviour did not change that she is absolutely gooey on the inside.

Okay, time to stop crying. To repeat, it ended very strongly, and it started very strongly, but had some problems in the middle. Not like saying all of the middle is the problem, it also had Ozen, who was like my waifu of the season. It just largely felt like build up for something we kept being told we could not have yet, up till that spike thing. But also the very beginning was certainly the best of the season, making me think to compare it for the entire year. All of the incredibly strong parts mixed with a few lagging parts, with generally great production value makes me go for an Excellent (9/10) rating. This was a don't miss of this season, and probably the year.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
I have now watched 673 TV anime titles to completion. Out of those, I have rated 7 as Masterpieces. Made in Abyss is one of those seven joining Azumanga Daioh, Bakamonogatari, Barakamon, Gunslinger Girl, Paranoia Agent and Welcome to the NHK. I haven't rated an TV anime show a Masterpiece since Barakamon which ended in September, 2014.

There was no aspect of this show that wasn'tn topnotch, imo: visuals, music, acting, writing, directing... I haven't had my emotions so expertly evoked in ages. My only complaint about the show is that it is over (hopefully just for now).

Nanachi and Mitty's story was heartbreaking of course. My tears were flowing freely. I'm still kind of reeling because I just finished the show. Maybe I'll come back later and say more, or maybe not. In any case, this is easily the show of the year for me, a designation that I expect to survive the current crop of upcoming shows.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

There was no aspect of this show that wasn'tn topnotch, imo: visuals, music, acting, writing, directing... I haven't had my emotions so expertly evoked in ages. My only complaint about the show is that it is over (hopefully just for now).

I would highly recommend reading the manga, if it were not for the oh so slow pace that its chapters are released.

Only four chapters so far this year,le sigh

A second season would tell the first "hold my beer".
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'll definitely be getting the manga as well.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I just binged the show and it was extremely good... for the last 4 episodes. The first 9 episodes were good, but I felt like Made in Abyss only showed what it truly is capable of in episode 10. Man, episode 10, that was harsh. Riko's very brutal suffering, Reg's helplessness and the creepy but really cool soundtrack made that scene the most memorable (and the best) scene in anime for me in 2017 at least. In fact I don't remember the last time I've been shocked by a scene in anime quite like this. I don't think there's ever been a case where I've wanted to rewatch a scene but also kinda not want to rewatch it because of how gruesome it is... Awesome.

It's a shame that the show was only 1 cour. Nanachi, who quickly became my favourite character, was introduced so late in the show. Just as the show becomes really, really interesting it's almost already over. Dammit.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Whoa just watched this over this week. Now this is ANIME in all its greatness. I mean, that's the main course of anime, what makes it better than mainstream TV shows. Incredible, this year was very strong already with titles like Kobayashi Dragon Maid, Boku no Hero Academia and Little Witch Academia but this one was truly an exceptional experience: I am thinking of actually changing my rating system just because of Made in Abyss. I mean, I already rated as masterpiece 3 anime titles of 2017 and I had none rated as masterpiece for 2015 and 2016, then came Made in Abyss and it blows out of the water anything I watched made in the past 3 years easily. I have watched about it 535 anime titles to completion and this one is already one of the top 10 best ever just out of those. As Blood- said, it's excellently crafted and had a really tight grasp over my emotions, I really felt everything those characters went through. It is really an amazing example of the artistic power of animation.

Also, I think one of the reasons why it was so awesome for me was because of its brutality, I loved it in the same way I loved Madoka which is also another "cutesy/brutal horror" title, I guess those kinds of anime when done right tend to pull my emotional range through a greater portion of its range than other genres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote
You have an impeccable sense of timing, Jose Cruz. It was just announced that MiA will get a second season: woo-hoo!!!
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
@Blood

My guess is a 2019/2020 Winter release-unless a Splatoon 3 comes out,then all bets are off. lol
Nanachi is making money,hope they do not rush an adaption out just for spoiler[Faputa ]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You have an impeccable sense of timing, Jose Cruz. It was just announced that MiA will get a second season: woo-hoo!!!

I can hardly wait. I have actually brought the manga in Japanese but my Japanese skills are still too bad so if I try to read it now I will spoil it. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Just watched the movie continuation, Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul. That was some heavy stuff. Bondrewd... he sure is memorable, a unique character and feels kind of soul crushing, especially in regards to elements where he actually seems to even care about the children sacrificed to his experiments. An evil that it kind of feels terifying to try and sympathise with. And Prushka, did not think it could make me empathise with her so strongly, especially in regards to Bondrewd.

Was a good fairly long movie, tat is equal part compelling and difficult to watch, although I do think that it felt like there were places that it tripped over itself, such as when I think it just assumed to understand "cartridges of being a thing after maybe slightly mentioned earlier.

My rating is Very good (8/10), and rather than saying it was a drop from the TV series that I rated higher, I am just going to say that the movie can just be really hard to watch, outdoing what had come before, and pushing the boundaries of what I can take, although I also did still enjoy my time. I just need to get a break from horrible things being done to kids for a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...although I also did still enjoy my time. I just need to get a break from horrible things being done to kids for a while.

But that's what makes it a nice, light comedy for me! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
There is light comedy child abuse, and then there is spoiler[turning kids into little suitcases after you made them love you].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:48 am Reply with quote
True, true. And believe me that did come as a gut punch for me. However, the emotional devastation wrought by the whole spoiler[Mitty] thing in the series destroyed me worse. In some ways, it's probably a good thing the movie didn't have as much time to develop the whole spoiler[Prushka thing] because that just would have amplified the sadness even more. I did admire how they were able to find a silver lining in that situation, though spoiler[(the White Whistle).]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am so behind with anime I didn't even know there were films following...
Any news about season 2, or is that it? (I did try to comb through news on the site, but didn't find anything).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8