• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Made in Abyss (TV)
Movie 1 - Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul (movie) (discussion starts here)
Season 2 - Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, psychological, science fiction
Themes: demi-humans, exploration, nature, post-apocalyptic, robots, wild beasts

Plot Summary: An enormous pit and cave system called the "Abyss" is the only unexplored place in the world. Strange and wonderful creatures reside in its depths, and it is full of precious relics that current humans are unable to make. The mysteries of the Abyss fascinate humans, and they head down to explore. The adventurers who venture into pit are known as "Cave Raiders." A little orphan girl named Rico lives in the town of Ōsu on the edge of the Abyss. Her dream is to become a Cave Raider like her mother and solve the mysteries of the cave system. One day, Rico starts exploring the caves and discovers a robot who resembles a human boy.

Season 1 - Amazon
Movie 1 - HIDIVE
Season 2 - July 6, 2022 (Wednesdays; HIDIVE)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

This was interesting. Been reading the manga and I love the atmosphere of its world setting so far. The theme songs fits too for this show imo.

From the beginning, we see Riko encountering a monster but she manages to survive despite a few close calls. Character interaction is fun to watch and pretty much introduced the main premise/story from the first episode. OST works as well. Definitely liked what I see so far. We'll get to see these kids explore more soon so I'm excited for that. Episode ended with a glimpse of the outside of the Abyss. ED theme song seems to catchier than I had expected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Love the look at character designs of the show and the world building. It's always a good sign when the episode ends and you are anxious to see more. Very Ghibli feel to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Yes, this first episode in a general sense was perfect, in writing alone it put to shame pretty much every show this season in its understanding world building and characters. There was not a single "as you know", the entire episode worked perfectly in having characters interact and show things in an organic way. It these great setting ideas, but did not tip its hat early by having this feel something like adventuring yourself. I really liked the small piece of writing where the boy said that Riko had fed Reg coals previously and we are met by a puff of soot.

I kind of had a look at the character designs, which had me thinking this would probably not be anything really good, but looking at the preview guide assured me that this would not be the case. To choose an something to compare it to, so far at least aesthetically I am going with the hidden gem, Dennou Coil, there is this melancholy feel that I am kind of reminded of.

There seems to be hints by those familiar with the series that this is going to get dark, and I think that I can take it. I am looking forward to more.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This was easily, hands down, my favorite first episode of the summer anime season. The show has a terrific atmosphere to it and I can't wait to see where it will take us!

The worst part of this episode was the fact that it passed by too quickly, leaving me hungry for more!
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so far this has definitely been the high point of the new season. The writing, animation, world building, characterizations, all have been top notch. It almost felt like I was watching an early Miyazaki film (Laputa or Nausicaa) rather than a TV anime. And the mystery of the Abyss is fascinating, especially that final shot where the camera goes down the center to show just how deep it goes.

Mostly Summer 2017 has felt like a big step down from the gangbusters that was Spring; so far this series has been the sole exception.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Deep in Abyss is such a catchy theme song. I love it.

So we got some info dump about the robot boy including what he's capable of. Regu is a peculiar character that others are curious about as well including Gilo. I also really like Riko and Regu's character chemistry so far.

There's also some talk about Lyza among the locals, which happens to be Riko's mother. Interesting pacing so far for this show so far.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I disagree that was an "info dump." Info dump suggests an inelegant, long exposition scene were one or more character simply imparts information in a graceless way. The info we got about Reg came about in a completely organic and sometimes funny way and certainly didn't drag on.

I think I love this show more every minute I watch it. It looks so beautiful and the characters are so engaging. It was worth it to get an Amazon Prime membership just to see this show alone (although I am watching others on the service, too).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
They seemed to imply some pretty odd side effects, specifically from coming back up from lower in the Abyss. You could attribute some for sounding like the Bends (decompression sickness), but there was mention of something as vague as losing their humanity, with some odd images so far of animal like people. So unlike the Bends, can they not just acclimate slowly to avoid bad effects, or is it like some mutation from being there for a large amount of time. Although they said specifically with at least the subs that it is from coming back up, not whether they could just stay where they were.

Also talk of other countries, and how exactly it works, like whether they have their own entry somewhere that somehow links up. The rivalry is apparently not good, it sounded like the majority of exhibition Riko was born in was killed by the other country, her mother, Lyza, then sought revenge.

There is a bit of a carrot set that Lyza might be at the bottom, but things cannot be so kind.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Watching the first episode got me interested enough that I ended up binging through the manga material. Now I'm even more excited in seeing the original material in motion.

Episode 2 was really fun and I especially liked that puppet? show with the big nosed guy.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
They seemed to imply some pretty odd side effects, specifically from coming back up from lower in the Abyss. You could attribute some for sounding like the Bends (decompression sickness), but there was mention of something as vague as losing their humanity, with some odd images so far of animal like people. So unlike the Bends, can they not just acclimate slowly to avoid bad effects, or is it like some mutation from being there for a large amount of time. Although they said specifically with at least the subs that it is from coming back up, not whether they could just stay where they were.

Many of those symptoms and their progression (vomiting, bleeding, etc.) sound an awful lot like radiation sickness with increasing levels of exposure. Could the "losing your humanity" bit be simply going crazy from high doses of rads (and the pain associated with radiation organ failure)?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, I can't wait to he point where shit gets REAL in terms of creepiness (Should be next episode).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
The farewells were quite sad.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Having read the manga, I can't wait to he point where shit gets REAL in terms of creepiness (Should be next episode).

As a non-reader of the manga, I don't want to know anything at all about what is coming, no matter how vague. Please put ANY mention of your knowledge of the manga in spoiler tags as the rules require, thanks.

Not much to say about episode 3 in that it was just setting the table for what is to come. Can't wait to see what awaits Reg and Rico in the depths of the Abyss...
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
I really enjoy this, watched the first three episodes last week, and watched the fourth one.

I mentioned it in another post, but it reminds me in a way of Beast Player Erin. It has a cute character design and seems designed for kids, but also hints at some serious and mature content to come. I love the creative world building and the look of everything.

Habo's warning about Ozen picked my interest,looking forward to the next episode to see why he considered that the meeting could be quite unpleasant for Riko. He clearly did not want to disclose much, but it does seem to foreshadow something unpleasant that for now was better left unsaid.

Also, really want the soundtrack to come out, that insert song at the end of the first episode when Riko shows Reg the town is amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8