• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I noticed videos on YouTube of ARMS is substantially lower in view count than their high-profile Switch comrades though, like Splatoon 2, Sonic Forces, and Super Mario Odyssey, and even the Testpunch videos people have been putting up are below-average relative to their other videos. I am quite interested in the game and I intend to buy it, but it seems many people on YouTube aren't even interested enough to watch the Testpunch footage.

Since when are YouTube views and videos an indication of anything noteworthy?

Quote:
It already has. There's a bunch of crossover art with other stretchy-limbs characters like Monkey D. Luffy, Mr. Fantastic, and Mega Man's Spring Man. And there's been a lot of artists' comparisons to the Overwatch characters, due to the games having similar character design (especially Mechanica vs. D.Va).

Ribbon Girl and Min Min are the clear favorites in Japan, with Twintelle dead last. Mechanica sits in the middle. I doubt Arms will reach Splatoon levels of art and doujin output, but it's definately caught on.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Since when are YouTube views and videos an indication of anything noteworthy?

-Stuart Smith

You don't think there's a correlation between popularity on YouTube with a game overall?

The way I see it, games that are popular are also popular on YouTube, though there are also certain games like the Rhythm Heaven series that are popular on YouTube but are not popular overall. (I know the Rhythm Heaven series IS popular in Japan, but it's not popular internationally, and the western viewership of Rhythm Heaven videos is way out of proportion with the series's actual non-Japanese sales.) However, I don't know of any games, besides licensed games and sports games, that sell well but aren't popular on YouTube.

As for Mechanica fanart, I'm mostly seeing it from the west, where Overwatch is at its most popular. Everything seems to get crossed over with Overwatch though. (Fluttershy-Mercy, anyone?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2