• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Subpoenas Cloud Hosting Platform Over Copyright Infringement of One Piece Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
If they have time to sue every offender here and there, then they could've use that time to just do better for the sake of those who pays.

They absolutely have to spend time and money on going after pirates because they would lose their rights from the Japanese owners. How many times does this have to be stated for people in this thread to comprehend? They're not doing it because they're sitting around bored and actively trying to slack off on their video player like you are trying to imply. That's ridiculous.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
a waste of everyone's time, money and resources.

not necessarily. if this was back in the early 2000s where fansubs were running rampant, then yea. but now that there are free AND legal ways to watch anime now (though only for the sub version), they have the right to protect their bottom line.

though yea. while its the right thing to do, its also a losing battle. its like with the old motto for Marvel's Hydra Organization. "You take off one head and another take its place!" more or less the same for these fan sites. one gets removed and another instantly replaces it. its why japan have those annoying region lock rules which is unfortunately making things worse.

michaeltanzer wrote:
Seriously, this whole DMCA thing needs to be stopped! DMCA must be abolished for good!

good luck with that. DMCA have pretty much pocketed both political parties and hollywood elitists. in other words, its never gonna happen!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
It's a simple matter of enforcing a copyright. You're a company, you don't want your profit leaking. It sucks but it's simple as that.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
If they have time to sue every offender here and there, then they could've use that time to just do better for the sake of those who pays.

They absolutely have to spend time and money on going after pirates because they would lose their rights from the Japanese owners. How many times does this have to be stated for people in this thread to comprehend? They're not doing it because they're sitting around bored and actively trying to slack off on their video player like you are trying to imply. That's ridiculous.

Another person who doesn't get a clear point. Yeah, sure, whatever dude. Goodluck to Funimation and those who supports them, I sure appreciate your eye for quality. And yeah, hope they manage to sue EVERY last one of those who pirates their stuff in the vast world of internet. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic here.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:

Another person who doesn't get a clear point. Yeah, sure, whatever dude. Goodluck to Funimation and those who supports them, I sure appreciate your eye for quality. And yeah, hope they manage to sue EVERY last one of those who pirates their stuff in the vast world of internet. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic here.

You do realize that the money they get from this lawsuit could potentially pay for whatever the hell you want from them but refuse to specify in this forum?

If you want to be a pirate, fine, go live in Somalia for all I care. Just stop being a weeb-ish bigot and actually listen to what everyone is trying to tell you.

You can't sue someone for having a video player you don't like, or because they make dubs AT ALL and actually make the effort of streaming them.

And you shouldn't get mad at a company for being unable to branch out into other countries - you should be mad at the companies IN those countries for not making any effort whatsoever to stream.

And if you STILL want to sail with Captain Jack Sparrow, no matter how bad the movies get, just go check out another site.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't support pirating. Never have, never will, but for those of us who have been fans of anime for more or less 20 years we know that most "legit " streaming sites started life as "illegit" streaming sites from basements, bedrooms, or uni student dorms so it's not that hard, or expensive to set up a decent enough site. The expensive part is to get to show titles through legit licenses from the originators, but if the legit streamers' quality of service is only as good as, or worse than the illegit sites then I can understand why some will use them instead of paying for the same quality. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

There is only one site that has done this, and that is Crunchyroll. That site had profits from its users even back then, so it had more capability to just turn into a legal site.

wastrel wrote:
Personally I hate Funimation because of their data breech which exposed customer info (of which mine was included), and I have yet to receive any notification from Funimation about it. If I hadn't seen the notice here at ANN about it, I still wouldn't know.

Almost any company can get hacked if someone really wants to get in -- but if it happens you tell your customers yourself that it happened. Otherwise customers can't take appropriate mitigation efforts themselves.

True, it was a problem that Funimation announced it after ANN did, but afterwards they clearly said that they would notify you IF your account had been tampered with. Having used their forums, I can confirm that people were notified. So really, you've been all paranoid these past several months over nothing. Sorry, but it's true.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Concerning fair use, which usu. has 4 factors, sometimes a court may rule that situations like putting up a "One Piece" episode or movie onto YT qualifies as fair use.

*there is an occasional 5th factor and that says that you have put enough changes where a derivative work is now "transformative work" which can be copyrighted. Being that this is the rarest factor, it would help if federal courts had made a standard for what qualifies as a transformative work.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Another person who doesn't get a clear point. Yeah, sure, whatever dude.

If your response to that is "yeah, sure whatever" then I really recommend you actually take the time to study the central principles governing the maintenance of intellectual property in the United States. You would be surprised by the degree to which companies are required by law to sue every single person who violates their copyright. The US legal system is intentionally designed to ensure that people keep on giving lawyers money.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
I don't understand this mass pushback (if you can call it that) from non-FunimationNow subscribers/buyers against Funimation. I'm sorry to break it to you but companies need to earn money to pay their employees and expand. I wish there were Funimation like subscription services for Latin American Spanish dubbed anime. I'd pay for it in a heartbeat.

What's next... Free iPhone/Android because you need to access the internet? Grow up guys/gals. I was appalled last year during Anime Expo @ some people due to this level of entitlement for something that they're not paying for (the short, I met this group of guys [in their late teens] bragging about using Kissanime because they could set it up to skip OPs/EDs, commercials, etc., I was like "but you can watch it on Crunchyroll/Funimation for free and support anime growth in the states." To which they replied "nah bro don't have the money while they purchased cups of coffee for $5+." WTF???

I grew up poor (immigrant family) and didn't really pirated until 2012. Even then, I only pirated stuff not available in toonami/Funimation (because I understood that they made their money thru commercials and if I wanted more more dubbed anime I'd have to watch it at the time it air to increase their viewing numbers). We now have access to more English dubs than ever before because Funimation/Viz/Sentai are betting that the fans are willing to pay for it (BDs sells are growing... Do you want the best quality? Buy the Damn BDs. They're cheap if you don't want the LEs). If we don't support them, we won't get as much anime.

Are you guys really telling me that $120/year ($0.32/day, $0.01/hour) is too much for the service (quality provided)? Really... Really... Really? I'm sorry but if you don't pay for the service, you don't get the cake, you don't get to eat it and you don't get to criticize it. Funimation spent money to acquire the rights to the IP. They get to defend it and profit from it. I hope all Funimation/Crunchyroll/Amazon Strike links get taken down from kissanine/etc. These "free" sites don't deserve to generate revenue for free.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
regardless, its one of the reasons why i wasnt too happy when the series was no longer going to be showed on adult swim anymore. all that really did is to give sites like that to post the english dub version via illegal downloading and streaming. they should have went to the paramount war arc immediately or even the new world arc instead of doing the long ass thriller bark arc (which was the least liked arcs to begin with)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NitwitsWorld

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
regardless, its one of the reasons why I wasn't too happy when the series was no longer going to be shown on adult swim anymore. all that really did is to give sites like that to post the English dub version via illegal downloading and streaming. they should have gone to the paramount war arc immediately or even the new world arc instead of doing the long ass thriller bark arc (which was the least liked arcs, to begin with)

But would it still be on TV even without the lawsuit being sent by Funimation?

I get you don't like pricey? But there are different types of them that can be good and can be evil.

Hell! There's now political groups that exist for digital pirates in recent years and most of them do try to tell Hollywood about the goods in the digital era.

Unfortunately? Money runs the system as the old lady used to say.

That and there's censorship reasons on why Hollywood wants bills like Sopa to pass in the USA.

If it were any anime shows that were pirated online and they got removed​ from TV.

Would you even care about them as much as One Piece?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
The amount of people on her tooting their own horn about openly pirating is just weird. I feel like it's such a Don't ask Don't tell kinda thing you don't ask people if they do it and they don't ask you and we respect that fairly.

What surprises me on here is that the general ANN and Reddit rules are any mention of pirating/pirating sites,admission of pirating... usually results in a deleted post. To see this many posts where people freely admitting to pirating and those posts not being removed nearly made me forget that I was logged in MAL at the moment Smile

Revolutionary wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

I remember when the Simulcast came around and people in the US were refusing to use it because of FUNimation translating the word 'nakama', because of the Toei logo, or because it wasn't super Blu-Ray 1080 quality (understand back then there was no paid HD version). These are not reasons to justify going to illegal methods but people did it anyway, and they always will find a reason to snub anything legal sites do so they can continue to download the most HD fansubs for free.

Not wanting to pay for a subpar product seems perfectly reasonable to me. No one is under any obligation to support something just because it's the legal version when better alternatives exist.

What you've posted here is the very definition of false entitlement. Anime is a product. You are not entitled to it.

Entitlement: Distribution or exercise of an absolute privilege or right to an economic benefit granted by contract or law, automatically upon meeting the required qualification

Technically, if you paid Y amount for product Z, then you are entitled said benefit it. By contract with Crunchy or Funi or whoever, if you paid for said goods and services, you have met the legal obligation of the contract.

Now, whether or not your contract with a streamer states they will provide a particular level of service can be debatable. However, one could argue if the contract stipulates in the contract that the Funi or whoever provides an acceptable level of service, then one can debate those merits. I for one would not pay $15/mo to receive a video stream that is by the old VHS standards of video quality.

[quote="Kikaioh"]
DeTroyes wrote:
on these illegal streaming sites I think is a fun exercise in imagination.

I'm glad somebody is finally possibly going after KissAnime. I've worked with web companies before (and even worked on Digital Ocean servers), and I know that these sites can make a killing off of ad revenues combined with paid subscriptions. Actually, the fact that KissAnime is able to flagrantly offer subscriptions despite not owning the content, I think, is pretty head-scratching.

THIS ^ ^ This is where my issue with piracy comes in. I have zero issue with fan subbers who sub for the love anime. My goat with streams is the fact there are several layers of people who make big dollar in the money in ad revenue. The piracy is money to them

Coupled with the fact that most stream sites I have seen are so laden with malicious code, that I need gloves just to use the mouse. My grandson showed me a site once where he found Hunter X Hunter that I made him take a shower to get clean afterward.I think it was some Linkz that reminded me of of seedy whore house where the prostitutes charge ¥500 and likely carried everything from chlamydia to rabies. It was the first time in my life I had to start locking down the PC to keep the grandkids off.

Quote:
There is only one site that has done this, and that is Crunchyroll. That site had profits from its users even back then, so it had more capability to just turn into a legal site.

And yet, ironically, CR started as an locker site that only hosted illegal pirated anime and Asian TV shows and movies. Sadly, to answer another comment about how CR could use the money from a lawsuit to improve their infrastructure, all I can say is fat chance. The only one who wins in this will be the lawyers. All CR cares about is the DCMA take now, not the money.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
They are doing it because US intellectual property law requires them to sue anyone who violates their IP.

I've read most of the Copyright Act of 1976 and see no such requirement for copyrighted material. I believe that trademark holders have a stronger legal imperative to defend their marks from "dilution," but I'm not a lawyer, and trademark law is a world unto itself.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Concerning fair use, which usu. has 4 factors, sometimes a court may rule that situations like putting up a "One Piece" episode or movie onto YT qualifies as fair use.

"Fair use" rarely covers the reproduction of an entire work. Item 3 in the list of possible fair-use defenses requires the court to consider "the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole." Fair use was hardly intended to let people post entire episodes of One Piece on a website.

Also most commentators fail to realize that fair use is only a defense against infringement and not something one can claim in advance of being sued. Fair use means that the work is still infringing, but the infringement is excused for the reasons listed in 17 USC 107.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Hey, we already have two people who know how to run Funimation's business better than they do. God I love the internet.
DRosencraft wrote:
So this long history of events still can't be discussed reasonably...
Guys, it shouldn't be a surprise that the comment section is as much a haven for trolls as other places, though it is frustrating to see the number given that there are rules and the mod's sometimes heavy interdiction
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
What surprises me here is that the general ANN and Reddit rules are any mention of pirating/pirating sites,admission of pirating... usually results in a deleted post.
Sometimes I wonder if some of the aforementioned aren't buds with some mods...

Now to get back to the topic, to follow Kikaioh, I hope Funi chops the head off of kissanime and cauterizes the stump so severely that other would-be pirates would be forced to use cell-phone vid, which would kill them eventually instead of getting theatrical HD quality from wherever they get it.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Now to get back to the topic, to follow Kikaioh, I hope Funi chops the head off of kissanime and cauterizes the stump so severely that other would-be pirates would be forced to use cell-phone vid, which would kill them eventually instead of getting theatrical HD quality from wherever they get it.

Don't really have a problem with them cauterizing Kissanime as those guys aren't even doing the grunt work but taking already uploaded material regardless whether official or fansubbed and basically streaming those for profit. Just, the chance of that happening is close to nil and if it does come to pass other places will simply take their place.

And for your other paragraph, I'm personally glad their shows get ripped because a lot of Funi's shows aren't available globally, at least for streaming. It might pose an issue that a large percentage of those watchers are from the licensed regions, but there's no denying the fact it still does provide a convenient way for those elsewhere to view those shows.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've read most of the Copyright Act of 1976 and see no such requirement for copyrighted material. I believe that trademark holders have a stronger legal imperative to defend their marks from "dilution," but I'm not a lawyer, and trademark law is a world unto itself.

Mm, yeah, that's an important clarification, and if this ever actually makes it to court, I wonder what Funimation will actually be arguing was violated here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5