• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
There are two thigns with aku no hana; another of the letdown is that the pacing got slowed down toa crawl, there were minutes of the characters just walking around, not even talking; also, regarding the expensiveness, it was theorized back then that they used software or filters on the top of the live action material, not handdrawn techniques, so the price would be pretty lower, it's also unfari to compare it to real live action series because the actors were pretty much amateurs , again, IIRC they were teather actors.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
When I think Anime Original Endings my mind immediately goes to Soul Eater and the debacle that was it's anime ending. Some of the stuff it does it at least interesting but it's all kinda a jumbled rushed mess.

the only thing it did better than the canon manga ending was spoiler[Not keep flipflopping with Chrona and actually let the character be redeemed and be good instead of constantly jerking around with if he/she was evil or not]
VivaLaBus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
not sure what akagi's doing in an "anime-original endings" list. it's an abrupt, but faithful ending
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Not sure what the "problem" with the Bokurano ending was. I haven't read the manga but the ending we got for the anime seemed to pretty much fall in line perfectly with everything it was doing thematically up to that point and while it was a little more optimistic, spoiler[the kids all still died anyway so I'm not sure how that's considered to be "shying away from the consequences"]
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
I always disliked the ending of Grey: Digital Target (the anime adaptation of Yoshihisa Tagami's manga). In Tagami's manga, Grey was always the sole survivor of every battle while the rest of his squad didn't return, hence his nickname, "Grey Death." In the anime, the female lead, Nova, survives (she is killed in the manga), which alters everything that comes after that. The final battle with TOY, the supercomputer that is controlling everything, happens off screen during the end credits (after the credits roll, the viewer just sees an explosion).

Also, I feel I must mention the anime adaptation of Saki Hiwatari's Please Save My Earth, which has a heck of a non-ending. The viewer has to read the manga to get the rest of the story. The compilation movie tacked on a scene at the end of an older Rin and Alice, and the music video special animated some later scenes from the manga; however, without having read the manga, the viewer is left in the dark as to how the story concludes. Honorable mention goes to another early '90s OVA adaptation of a manga, Video Girl Ai.
AnimeBoy16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
In the anime version of Bokurano spoiler[ every pilot except Kana is dead by the end and they never come back to life. ] I've never read the manga, but I have read what happens in it, and while the anime does tone down the more darker moments and changes some stuff around, on its own it's still a very dark and depressing series.

Last edited by AnimeBoy16 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
The new question makes it hard to insert the saber face xD
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
For me, worst endings went to Inuyasha until they came back with the wrap-up series. I just remember being so roiled that they stopped right when they did. Right now my biggest gripes are Pandora Hearts (a series I don't think most folks cared for either way) and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (again, a series I don't know most folks cared for). Trinity Blood is on my list too, but there are so many caveats and background to the issues with that anime that I've sort of always given it a pass.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
In retrospect the teaser flash at the end of Flowers of Evil was dumb because there was no season 2. But I fail to see what is so questionable about the ending of the anime. Like so many anime adaptations, one cour was not enough to cover the whole manga. And I read most of the manga, and all the anime episodes (including the ending) were faithful to the source material.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bokurano is my kind of super robot show. It stars young adults coming from unfortunate circumstances, dealing with adult problems, or suffering from a case of jerkish personalities. Mohiro Kitoh didn't pull any punches in his award-winning manga.

I made it through seven chapters of that manga... I always wavered between the words "terrible", "awful" and "stupid" in describing what I read in just those seven chapters. Truly, the only unfortunate, real thing those characters suffered from was that premise. spoiler[If you lose, you die and if you win, you die and... if you take the long view... the universe itself will die no matter what so why are you trying so hard? Also, spoiler alert, it's a multiverse so not only are you not that special, your entire universe isn't unique either.]

It's a matter of scale; People, sure, cities, fine and even planets work but all of space and time? The Big Crunch came a little early, what are you going to do... cry about it?

Yes, the whole thing could be a metaphor for reading the story in the first place. However, go then, there are other.... books.. than these.

Now that was a series that did a similar premise right... I was going to say without the giant robots but I forgot about the giant cyborg bear.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Glad others pointed out the errors with Bokurano & Akagi, because they both really rang false. I haven't read the Bokurano manga, either, but the anime did not "chicken out" of anything; it was, at best, bittersweet yet still an overall sad ending. I'm sure Kitoh's actual manga ending is harsher & darker, but it's not like Morita delivered a cop-out, especially since Kitoh made sure that Morita couldn't do things like bring people back from the dead.

And, yeah, Akagi just ends in between sessions during the Washizu Mahjong match. I've looked at where the anime ends in the manga, & it's 100% accurate. The only thing "anime-original" was a shot of a silhouetted Akagi (likely the older one that originally debuted in Ten) walking down a street at night; that's it, and I wouldn't count that as an alteration worthy of calling it an anime-original ending. Sure, this is an unfinished adaptation, and would fit in a list of those, but it makes no sense to include here.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
there were minutes of the characters just walking around, not even talking;

For me that was one of the most atmospheric things about Aku no Hana, those long drawn out sequences where nothing much really happens but showing the atmosphere. The big come-down walk home with just quiet BGM after the orgasmic release of trashing the classroom. The sheer alienation and teenage angst of being a different kid in a small town in the arse-end of nowhere.
That show just nailed that in a way no other anime ever has.

I'm still disgusted it didn't get a second series.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Right now my biggest gripes are Pandora Hearts (a series I don't think most folks cared for either way) and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (again, a series I don't know most folks cared for).

Maoyu is one of my favorite shows! I wouldn't say the ending is bad per se, but it definitely leaves me wanting more.

Regarding Claymore; the first couple times I watched the show, I didn't (and still don't) think the ending is all THAT bad; it does cap off some themes that had been built up earlier in the show. That said, and given I'm the biggest Claymore fan I know, I can't say the ending is "good" either. The pacing of the story, which had been so fast and furious until that point, slows to a crawl for an unexciting 3-episode fight that makes no sense if you've read the manga past that point (Priscilla is astronomically more powerful than Claire at that point). It's a shame, too; there's so much stuff that happens later in the Claymore manga that would look awesome animated, but never will be Sad

My initial thought when reading the article title was the 3rd Marina film, but at least that HAD an ending, I suppose
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
I was actually just thinking the other day about Tokko and it's non-ending to the anime. It was a good show for it's time that not a lot of people watched. It wasn't amazing but a good solid show. The ending was a massive cliffhanger with absolutely nothing resembling an ending. I didn't know it got a continuation manga by a different author. I might have to check it out.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
If we are talking mid plot drop off endings, than Air Gear is king of that game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6