• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I didn't know it got a continuation manga by a different author. I might have to check it out.

It's called Tokko Zero. Fujisawa wrote the story but Yukai Asada did the artwork. I really like Asada's art style. He's also the mangaka of Woodstock, another really good manga which will likely never be translated into English due to the amount of work it would take getting permission to use the name/likeness of the music and musicians routinely mentioned. They've both been licensed in French and Italian.
BankaiKitty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
One questionable anime ending for me was: Pandora Hearts. This anime should have done a filler (Yes, I know, a filler.....), then it could have continued on with the amazing story telling that it was doing. Then if need be another small filler, etc.

I'm thrilled that my Spa episode choice of "Gintama" made the the top ten. Surprised
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Right now my biggest gripes are Pandora Hearts

YES THIS. HOW I LOVE TO RANT ABOUT THIS.

Pandora Hearts is definitely in my mind the worst anime original ending I've ever seen. For those unaware, the show followed the manga pretty closely except for the last 2 and a half episodes or so, where it diverged.

It then tried to shove TWO different anime original climaxes into this. The first was an action-climax, but it was poorly directed and animated, and just plain dull and boring. A terrible, meaningless fight scene they threw in at the end just so they could have a big battle.

But wait, we're not done! because there's still one episode left, and so they try to throw in a second climax/ending, this one more emotional.

Expect it was completely, utterly meaningless, and nothing happened. Oz confronts spoiler[his father] in what should be a big emotional climax. Maybe we'll finally learn why he sent Oz to Abyss? NOPE.

Two forced, rushed climaxes, that resolve nothing, reveal nothing, and do nothing, and leave a lame "to be continued" ending when the entire POINT of an anime original ending is to AVOID the "to be continued" ending.

Oh, wait, did I say they did nothing? That's not actually true. Despite both climaxes being the most utterly vapid, empty nonsense, they managed to somehow (and this is impressive) so completely and utterly contradict future manga revelations (some of which I'm pretty sure had already been written when the anime was being made), that they made it completely impossible for future seasons to be made without first retconning the entirety of the last few episodes.

My favorite, favorite moment of all, the point that completely sums up the whole mess, is a moment in the final episode. Throughout the entire show at this point, the main antagonists have been the Baskervilles, a mysterious group with unknown plans and motives. Every single main character has been fighting against and opposing them. Well, in the final episode, Oz wants to confront one of them, so he asks his colleague/sort-of friend Break to help him out.

Cut to a scene of Break looking at a piece of paper, and saying something along the lines of "so according to my research, the secret hideout of the Baskervilles is here!"

The secret hideout of the Baskervilles, the enemy they've been fighting the entire show, is discovered off camera. Easily. In 5 seconds. Through vaguely defined "research".

If it was that easy to find, why the hell didn't they find it sooner! I mean, again, it's not like they were fighting against the Baskervilles the entire show- oh wait they were. Apparently they never actually bothered to consider that knowing the location of their hideout would be useful.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Glad others pointed out the errors with Bokurano & Akagi, because they both really rang false. I haven't read the Bokurano manga, either, but the anime did not "chicken out" of anything; it was, at best, bittersweet yet still an overall sad ending. I'm sure Kitoh's actual manga ending is harsher & darker, but it's not like Morita delivered a cop-out, especially since Kitoh made sure that Morita couldn't do things like bring people back from the dead.

I appreciate that I no longer need to write ESSAYS about why the Bokurano anime ending (and the anime itself, for the majority) fails on every level. It's kind of nice to read someone else summarize it. I'm so drained from years of doing it at this point that I can't be bothered anymore.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ano Natsu de Matteru could be on that list for it's rather non-ending ending.
Then there is Hyouka. I threw my slipper at the tele at the last few minutes of the last episode. Another slipper throwing moment was the end of Guilty Crown
Never stand near my tele when I'm watching anime. Laughing

Of those 3, only Hyouka could qualify. While both the other titles have manga, those came after and were based on the anime, not the other way around.

It wouldn't count even for Hyouka, since that ending was one of the stories in the novel. Inconclusive, sure, but not anime-original.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I thought Gangsta was a shoe-in for this list.

Gangsta's ending was not original, it ended just like the manga (I think it ended like the ending of volume 5 or 6 can't really remember).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
The frequent "The manga was better" comments I see for many anime make me glad I don't rarely read manga.
By that I take it you mean you do read a lot of manga then?

Quote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Ano Natsu de Matteru could be on that list for it's rather non-ending ending.
Then there is Hyouka. I threw my slipper at the tele at the last few minutes of the last episode. Another slipper throwing moment was the end of Guilty Crown
Never stand near my tele when I'm watching anime. Laughing

Of those 3, only Hyouka could qualify. While both the other titles have manga, those came after and were based on the anime, not the other way around.
I can understand why an anime with a pre-continuing manga would have a bad ending as a bad one is better than none at all, but having said that I don't see the significants of whether an anime had a manga before or after anyway. In my view a bad ending is still a bad ending regardless. the situation of a manga printed after an anime with a bad ending just amplifies that disappointment ending, unless the manga tries to alter it, or explain that further which could also be like throwing water on an oil fire. Wink
jutsuri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
I'm a little puzzled by the antipathy towards the 'manga is better than the anime' arguments, it is no different than saying 'the book is better than the movie' which is always true. When I hear that my reaction is usually: 'well yeah, of course it is.'
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
I'm a little puzzled by the antipathy towards the 'manga is better than the anime' arguments, it is no different than saying 'the book is better than the movie' which is always true. When I hear that my reaction is usually: 'well yeah, of course it is.'

Simple, actually: there's a whole crowd of people who think that the original source material is always the best interpretation of the story because it's the truest to the original creator's intent. Most of these people resolutely refuse to accept that any alteration or update could actually improve upon the original.

Which is total bunk in my book. Even Shakespeare was known to have revised many (most?) of his plays several times, so I don't put much credence in the belief that modern-day writers are always going to get things perfect the first time. I've done enough writing myself to know from personal experience that the first version of a written work - especially one done under tight timelines - isn't necessarily the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PegasusSeiya351

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Where exactly did the Recca anime end? And which villain joined the good guys and got hit by a car? I loved the manga back in the day and can't imagine how that could possibly have worked with any of the villains. They were all pretty scummy as I recall.

To answer your questions, after the Underground Death Tournament, (Or the Ura Butou Satsujin) Kurei became an anti-hero, as he still hated Recca. And to my recollection, it was implied through the dialogue that Kurei survived the car crash.

BTW, Flame of Recca is one of my favorites, big props to Lynzee Loveridge for mentioning it.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
A lot of people dislike the anime-original ending for Soul Eater, but honestly, I prefer it over the actual manga ending. It felt like the author stopped caring about the series and just wanted to end it, leaving a lot of character arcs and plot points unresolved. That plus other personal misgivings about the quality of the last 1/4th of the manga just makes the anime-original ending all the more better in my eyes.

To me, the worst anime-original ending was the ending for the Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro anime. My god, it really veered off track from the manga and not in a good way.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can understand why an anime with a pre-continuing manga would have a bad ending as a bad one is better than none at all, but having said that I don't see the significants of whether an anime had a manga before or after anyway. In my view a bad ending is still a bad ending regardless. the situation of a manga printed after an anime with a bad ending just amplifies that disappointment ending, unless the manga tries to alter it, or explain that further which could also be like throwing water on an oil fire. :wink:

The point isn't whether or not the anime had a bad ending. The discussion is on anime-original endings. So something without a source material is automatically excluded (as the point is endings that differ from their source counterparts), as is something that's the same as the source and just stops.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Which is total bunk in my book. Even Shakespeare was known to have revised many (most?) of his plays several times, so I don't put much credence in the belief that modern-day writers are always going to get things perfect the first time. I've done enough writing myself to know from personal experience that the first version of a written work - especially one done under tight timelines - isn't necessarily the best.

Agreed. Writers are people too, and there are too many cases to mention of writers who have said later that in hindsight they wished they could go back and rewrite certain parts of their published books, or have taken advantage of that chance if they got it (like Agatha Christie when she wrote the stageplay version of And Then There Were None giving it a completely different ending from the novel). There have also been those times where the movie changed the ending and the author liked it better - Chuck Palahniuk loved the changes to the ending of Fight Club, for instance, and thought it captured the themes he was going for in his novel better than his own version did.

Movies, of course, aren't immune to that either, as every Star Wars fan knows given Lucas' constant tinkering with the original trilogy. Maybe the ur-example is Blade Runner, which has at least seven different versions floating around out there with various combinations of added scenes, removed scenes, narration, no narration, and of course multiple different endings (and that was another author-endorsed adaptation, BTW; Phillip K. Dick saw an early workprint version before he died and thought it was far better than his own novel). Fans have been arguing for 35 years about which version of that movie is the "best" or "truest" version.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Agreed. Writers are people too, and there are too many cases to mention of writers who have said later that in hindsight they wished they could go back and rewrite certain parts of their published books, or have taken advantage of that chance if they got it (like Agatha Christie when she wrote the stageplay version of And Then There Were None giving it a completely different ending from the novel). There have also been those times where the movie changed the ending and the author liked it better - Chuck Palahniuk loved the changes to the ending of Fight Club, for instance, and thought it captured the themes he was going for in his novel better than his own version did.

Darn it, you stole my example I wanted to use! In which case I ought to bring in another: The movie adaptation of Who Framed Roger Rabbit threw in so many more characters and new plot points (most notably Judge Doom, the movie's antagonist) that fit with the universe perfectly that when the novel's author saw it, he decided he would base the sequel novels on the movie rather than the original book, Who Censored Roger Rabbit.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Z-Raid wrote:
A lot of people dislike the anime-original ending for Soul Eater, but honestly, I prefer it over the actual manga ending. It felt like the author stopped caring about the series and just wanted to end it, leaving a lot of character arcs and plot points unresolved. That plus other personal misgivings about the quality of the last 1/4th of the manga just makes the anime-original ending all the more better in my eyes.y.

I just love how the Soul Eater lost the show's theme of "all three of our characters are the main characters" the manga had in favor of its "just have Maka do it as only she can do it. Good job, Maka, while we all watch" ending; It's just such a better theme than even the show itself started with.

I have Soul Eater on BD because I saw clips of it on Youtube long after I saw the series and remembered "Oh, Soul Eater!" but when I thought to rewatch I remembered "Oh, Soul Eater." Also, the manga itself kind of runs out of everything after Baba Yagi but the anime didn't even do that right.

But its BONES and they're not the best at "Original" anything. Yes, if fascist fighting Maes Hughes ends up spoiler[a Nazi, the classic historical fascist] in FMA the Lesser, you kind of lost the point. Here's a little known secret, the manga is actually anti-fascist... then again, BONES did change the State Alchemist from "most were just people doing their job", a WWII parallel on its own, to people who really liked doing their job... except our heroes, of course. For some reason, they felt they had to rationalize Scar's "anti-villain?! More like anti-hero!" actions in order to further rationalize what they did with Lust and it's all a mess.

A really well liked mess that's also "author approved"... while the manga did its own separate thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6