• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Those shelves are INSANE! Nice figure collection too!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Only the bravest of souls keep their anime collections front and center in the house. Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Don't worry; The Gestapo doesn't look too hard if you have it mixed in with other things. Though my Monster High dolls and MLP figures might not be the flawless disguise I was hoping for.

He has a few grown-up figures but nothing that would have eyes falling out of heads. You should see the pictures my great-aunt & uncle have on the wall behind the bar.

Nobody cares! It's how it looks in the house that matters. I wouldn't put the really racy stuff in the kitchen but, other than that, people are used to seeing quirky things there all of the time. I've never been to a kitchen that didn't have some kind of doofy decoration or knick knack. You can buy adult Disney Princess glassware and Hello Kitty paring knives, for heaven's sake.

Great job, Timothy. That shelving setup looks professional and the collection looks amazing!
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
It feels like this week brought us a lot more reprints / "Bluray upgrades" than usual.

I love how well-thought-out Timothy's media center looks. Very nice choice of wood there.

Quote:
Lastly, since shelf space is at a premium, I undertook a project to consolidate shows in fewer cases—Azumanga Daioh went from six cases to one, and Heaven's Lost Property (both seasons and the movie, five Blu-rays total) also went into a single case. It took a while, but I eventually got back ten feet of shelf space!"

I started doing this with my old, awful "spindle" DVD cases that stacked a bunch of DVDs on top of each other, but due to the fact that I could only find 6-disc cases for a while, the math didn't always work out the way I wanted it to... which is why Sakura Wars and Morbito are currently "case roommates".

There are still a few multi-case releases that I'll probably never consolidate, even if I become starved for shelf space (chief among them my Escaflowne VCDs, which are housed in custom cases made out of ads cut out of old Newtype issues).
Hononotenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
That plush Sohma family fest!!! Is beyond adorable, I so want them. Great shelves by the way. I also have my collection (the majority) on display in my apartment.

Love Free! I'm glad I waited for the BD version to come out. I'll have to wait a little to afford a copy to put next to my Season 2 LE BD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Sorry, but someone needs to get their facts checked. Crunchyroll is doing the Free! Iwatobi Swim Club release, not Funimation. Crunchyroll hired Funimation to do the dub, and their alliance with Funimation allowed them to release it with Funi products. However it is a Crunchyroll product, not Funimation.

Yeah, we'll be seeing a lot of this confusion with the Crunchyroll titles, especially if the fallout over the Berserk 2016 dub cast is any indication (FUNi tried to clarify that it wasn't their doing but people still think it was them).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Quote:
Lastly, since shelf space is at a premium, I undertook a project to consolidate shows in fewer cases—Azumanga Daioh went from six cases to one, and Heaven's Lost Property (both seasons and the movie, five Blu-rays total) also went into a single case. It took a while, but I eventually got back ten feet of shelf space!"

I started doing this with my old, awful "spindle" DVD cases that stacked a bunch of DVDs on top of each other, but due to the fact that I could only find 6-disc cases for a while, the math didn't always work out the way I wanted it to... which is why Sakura Wars and Morbito are currently "case roommates".

There are still a few multi-case releases that I'll probably never consolidate, even if I become starved for shelf space (chief among them my Escaflowne VCDs, which are housed in custom cases made out of ads cut out of old Newtype issues).

I am undergoing a consolidation process as well, albeit a far more complicated one as I have 26 episode series ranging from the classic 6 DVD singles to ones that were, with bonus OVA episodes, was 10 singles with another series at 11... one OVA episode per DVD, what they tried and what they got away with back then.

I've gotten several 6 and double sized 8 disk sets... I originally only got the 8 to replace Sentai's spindle packs but I have found them useful in other ways.... but now I've gotten to the point I need 4 packs to help finish off my 12 episode series as well as pull back some of the "We could just do 6 releases but money..." sets I had to combine with other releases so I can put some semblance of order back into what was previously only borderline chaos.

The only one I regret is Stellvia as it used some of the prettiest ... and heaviest... metallic stock as its covers. Others like Soultaker with its theme of "all black, all the time" or Melody of Oblivion's "The Japan release had twelve separate volumes and here are all the covers in a 6 volume reversible format but we won't use the best ones as the cover art" are better off as a single unit.

A little more algebra and a lot more time and I'll be done eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2