Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doug Liman Reveals Details on Edge of Tomorrow Sequel Film




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
So the official changed title is "Edge of Tomorrow and Yesterday."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 6680
Location: London, UK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
If it is a sequel to some extent, would it not be "Edge of The Day After Tomorrow"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, the only reason All You Need is Kill adaptions is successful is because there was alot of liberty with the source material. The reason Ghost in the Shell bombed is because it was weighted down with following the source material. This is why we can't have a well known popular manga have a successful Hollywood adaption.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy to see that this is getting a continuation. I've watched the movie and the read the manga and like both FOR their differences. I enjoyed BOTH stories because they BOTH took interesting routes with the same premise. However, such tolerance is way too much for the fandom to have if a popular title got the same treatment. That's why I think Attach on Titan would be a perfect fit for a Hollywood Adaption because the fandom can't complain about whitewashing because there is only 1 Asian character. Didn't hear all the backlash when Japan "Yellow washed" their live action adaption, they even changed names.

Also, sad to know that the Sargent will not be showing up in the sequel/prequel because the actor died.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
varmintx



Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 1124
Location: Covington, KY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
If it is a sequel to some extent, would it not be "Edge of The Day After Tomorrow"?

You certainly can't call it that because then people would think it's the sequel to that crappy Emmerich movie.

Looking forward to it as I loved the first one, but it's an extreme shame Bill Paxton won't be able to reprise his role.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
russ869



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 385
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
The reason Ghost in the Shell bombed is because it was weighted down with following the source material.

I disagree. Ghost in the Shell didn't follow its source material very closely at all (except visually). There were some scenes that were recreated exactly shot for shot from the anime film, but they were recontextualized into a completely different story with a completely different meaning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anddo



Joined: 07 Mar 2015
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
The reason Ghost in the Shell bombed is because it was weighted down with following the source material.

Ah yes, I forgot about the part in GitS where it was a generic cookie-cutter revenge story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woomy



Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 110
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
The reason Ghost in the Shell bombed is because it was weighted down with following the source material.

Ah yes, I forgot about the part in GitS where it was a generic cookie-cutter revenge story.


From what I hear from hardcore OG GITS fans that did see it, they said it really doesn't deviate as much from the source as they originally feared. Sure it's a bit of a shallower version of the material, but a general consensus of people who I trust were all saying it could have been a lot worse as it does still hit the beats an adaptation should.

And if we're gonna talk about what's generic, why don't we step back and just see that that's what GiTS has become overall when it comes to an adaptation in 2017. GiTS borrowed quite a bit from other cyberpunk stories in the first place, and while it did also become influential in itself; so many things over the years have been picking from it that no matter what, everything GiTS has done, someone else did already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 4507
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

You certainly can't call it that because then people would think it's the sequel to that crappy Emmerich movie.


Hardly anyone remembers that movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group