• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Co-Produce Live-Action Cowboy Bebop TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I truly hope they actually pull it off, but right now I'm highly skeptical. They can have all the CGI but if they need to capture the magic of the series. Especially capturing the characters personalities.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly amazed at all the salt in the first page of the thread, seriously and honestly if this does go through I'd give it an honest shot and see how it does before passing judgement, yes some live action anime adaptations haven't been the best but frankly I doubt anyone can do worse then DBE
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
well, maybe this will work (i said maybe). Unlike those other H-wood anime adaptations, probably this time it be flood by white-casting controversy and stuffs like that. Just saying tho.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Since I slow down at auto accident scenes looking for blood or flames, if this gets made I'll probably go see but may not be surprised...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Since all of the cast seemingly isn't of Japanese origin, I think this live-action version of Cowboy Bebop actually has a chance of being good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Since all of the cast seemingly isn't of Japanese origin, I think this live-action version of Cowboy Bebop actually has a chance of being good.

Like I said with the GitS movie, the problem probably isn't even going to be casting, necessarily. It'll more likely be script and/or direction.

Prepare for "Explain Every Nuance To You In Obvious Dialogue Bebop". A Little Golden Book by Hollywood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
macloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Despite eeryones thoughts and opinions so far on this my own thought just from this carticle is the fact ITV studios is involved - unless of course theres another company with the same name the fact that a British Television companies co-creating this leaves me quite suprised.

Last edited by macloud on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I'm not holding my breath. US Studios seldom do anything from Japan / anime wise correct or even watchable.

Funny because the Japanese barely do anything correct or watchable adaptation, sequel, or otherwise.

residentgrigo wrote:

Let´s just be glad that Keanu Reeves, age 52, won´t play Spike anymore.

Don't know what his age has to do with anything or why people should be glad he won't play Spike especially since not everyone dislikes him nor has he been stuck in a blackhole of awful like Nicholas Cage.

penguintruth wrote:

Prepare for "Explain Every Nuance To You In Obvious Dialogue Bebop". A Little Golden Book by Hollywood.

To be fair Cowboy wasn't a very complex or heavy-handed in it's writing, vague in some aspects yes but it's not exactly a story that a casual viewer would be mostly confused by.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. And then I probably still won't.

Yeah, no way I'd ever freakin' believe it. Do they think we were born yesterday?

penguintruth wrote:
"Explain Every Nuance To You In Obvious Dialogue Bebop". A Little Golden Book by Hollywood.

Damn, I'm laughing so hard right now. Also crying a little bit inside...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
I am now becoming curios which nationality/race Ed and Spike Spiegel will have. My last name doesn´t fit my nationality either, there is no easy answer for Spike and Bebop is even set in 2071 but all sorts of people with have strong opinions on that aspect. Let the race wars begin!

BadNewsBlues Spike is 27, besides the whole race thing. You want to see a man twice his age play him?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

To be fair Cowboy wasn't a very complex or heavy-handed in it's writing, vague in some aspects yes but it's not exactly a story that a casual viewer would be mostly confused by.[/quote]

Perhaps Bebop isn't the most complex story. However, I believe the character's are more complex than many anime. The way characters speak dishonestly to each other and the importance placed on implication and subtext certainly outclass the character writing of many anime. In terms of dialogue and character writing, I would put it far above many other anime productions.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Let´s just be glad that Keanu Reeves, age 52, won´t play Spike anymore.

Don't know what his age has to do with anything or why people should be glad he won't play Spike especially since not everyone dislikes him nor has he been stuck in a blackhole of awful like Nicholas Cage.

And heaven knows, he hasn't done horrendously wishful gaijin attempts to insert himself into fake American-replicated Japanese culture, not with the Matrix or the 47 Ronin, or anything...
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

To be fair Cowboy wasn't a very complex or heavy-handed in it's writing, vague in some aspects yes but it's not exactly a story that a casual viewer would be mostly confused by.

Perhaps Bebop isn't the most complex story. However, I believe the character's are more complex than many anime. The way characters speak dishonestly to each other and the importance placed on implication and subtext certainly outclass the character writing of many anime. In terms of dialogue and character writing, I would put it far above many other anime productions.[/quote]

And it's vague on purpuse. You can't tell everything to the audience, specially if you follow Spike.
Midaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I know some people may hate me for this, but I think that, having characters of so many different races, they should stick to the original designs. In other forums people say Spike should be a jew because of Spiegel, that there'll be no problem if he was white, but when you look at him his face is yellow and he has Asian eyes. Jet, on the other hand, looks western. Fay is from Singapure, but green eyed, pale skin. Then Ed has red hair and dark skin. Will they change everyone like in Death Note? Why not respecting the author, who was inspired by Yusaku Matsuda to create Spike? Keanu Reeves may be too old, but are there not good long-legged actors of Asian race out there who speak fluent English?

The excuse that if he acts well then it's fine does not satisfy me. This is not a theatre group deciding to play Romeo and Juliet, being most actors lets say chinese. It's not the same context. This is supposed to be an open casting and it's reasonable to sellect among people of a certain race for a particular part. Otherwise, Spike could also be played by a woman or a 10 year old kid, if the acting is good. No one would have cast a Chinese Luke Cage or a black Superman. Why considering even a white Spike? Why not a white L but a white Light? If the reason is to attract white and black audience, they won't get me, because I have always believed that though filmakers have the right to make their own interpretation of the original source, they should, at least, respect the caracters as they were designed by the author. If they don't, then that won't be Cowboy Bebop, but something else.

They say they want to make it global. I truly hope they do. We'll know as soon as the cast is announced.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Extrapolating the race/ethnicity of the core cast is pointless.

Is Edward Turkish because of her father's name? Is Spike of Jewish descent because he has that hair and carries an Israeli firearm? Is Faye Asian because her flashbacks include a Singapore monument? Is Jet... what the hell is Jet, just a pasty white guy? Is Vicious some kind of edgelord weeb?

I say we cast Scarlett Johansson in every live-action adaptation of anime until she gets it right. ScarJo for Julia. It'll be a great shout out to Julia's VA being The Major's in English. Laughing

Well, as long as Ein is a Welsh corgi. If they try passing off a Vallhund, I'm out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5