• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Hosts World Premiere of Welcome to the Ballroom Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Called it, PonyCan USA almost certainly has the license to this show.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Get me a ticket....
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Crying or Very sad At least let me dream of get Welcome to the Ballroom at a decent price with a dub.

Last edited by BlueRex666 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Crying or Very sad At least let me dream of get Welcome to the Ballroom at a decent price woth a dub.

At least it will most likely be on Crunchyroll, I know how much a lot of you guys hate Anime Strike. If not Crunchyroll, than it would be on Netflix, but they have Fate/Apocrypha, so they most likely wouldn't get two of the biggest shows of the season.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

After that English subtitle trailer went up on Pony Canyon YouTube channel, it was all but confirmed in my mind that they'd end up with it.

Swiftyy wrote:
This being uploaded on Pony Canyon YouTube channel with English subtitles has me really worried that this'll end up being a Ponycan USA title. pls no
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

After that English subtitle trailer went up on Pony Canyon YouTube channel, it was all but confirmed in my mind that they'd end up with it.

Swiftyy wrote:
This being uploaded on Pony Canyon YouTube channel with English subtitles has me really worried that this'll end up being a Ponycan USA title. pls no

What is so bad about Ponycan USA?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Swiftyy wrote:

Their pricing is pretty high. It's actually come down and they've moved towards larger collections, but their sets are notably more expensive than most of the LE's from Sentai and Funimation, and at least double the price of their regular editions.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

For me, my problem comes down to their home releases.

Most of the shows they've released so far are usually sub only (Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!, Sound! Euphonium) and even if it does or will have a dub (Kuromukuro, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, possibly DAYS) only have have them because of Netflix.

Then there is the fact the stretch out their over priced collector's box set release of their shows to 3 parts ranging from $70-$90 depending on where you buy.

And while I didn't mind Limited or Collector's edition of show, I'd appreciated it if they were limited to a single box set or they release a vanilla version
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

Swiftyy wrote:

So are videos for Show By Rock! and Attack on Titan Season 2, but if you look deep enough The Devil is a Part-Timer, Free! and Rail Wars!.

I know this isn't the strongest justification, but let me dream Crunchyroll or Funimation (hell I'd even take Sentai Filmworks) might licence the show. Sad Crying or Very sad
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:

So are videos for Show By Rock! and Attack on Titan Season 2, but if you look deep enough The Devil is a Part-Timer, Free! and Rail Wars!.

I know this isn't the strongest justification, but let me dream Crunchyroll or Funimation (hell I'd even take Sentai Filmworks) might licence the show. Sad Crying or Very sad

Can you provide with the those videos that have English subtitles?
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Swiftyy wrote:

Swiftyy wrote:

Rail Wars!, Free!, The Devil is a Part Timer, and Attack on Titan all came out before Ponycan USA was a thing.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
BlueRex666 wrote:

I can confirm that Attack on Titan did not, Funimation released the English subbed pv.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes, a one way ticket to see those Giraffe necks in action!
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

What do subtitles have to do with anything?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Rail Wars!, Free!, The Devil is a Part Timer, and Attack on Titan all came out before Ponycan USA was a thing.[/quote]

If you want a recent example Dagashi Kashi which started in 2016 when Ponycan USA was established January 2015. And as for Attack on Titan, from what I understand show are licenced by season so could Ponycan have just keep season 2 all to itself and let the licence expire ala Aniplex and they also let Funimation licence and dub Attack on Titan: Junior High which also came after 2015 and is technically a standalone show.

Hell even after Ponycan USA became a thing, there are still things that lack any kind of licencing to this day. Skip Beat! took a Kickstarter Campaign to get a licence and I'm still waiting for High Speed! -Free! Starting Days- to be released in the states
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2