• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Them going around the board game and the narrative it was setting up, was pretty funny. Including with board games where it is mostly fluff narrative, I am the kind that likes to connect the narrative for the story that gets made in games. So it was funny that it built up of Keita and Agari having a super romantic and heavy life, Karen seems to focus on work and gets increasingly rich, Tasuku keeps cheating, as well as the up and down with Chiaki.

I had to go back that the student council apparently looked like the one from Seitokai no Ichizon, but indeed, there is a resemblance there.

Next question is how Chiaki is going to act after learning the truth of Keita's connection to her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Finally, at least one half of the Clueless Duo knows who the other is IRL. It'll be fun to see Chiaki/Mono/Nobe interact with Keita next time. Not only does she have to deal with that revelation, but (and she doesn't know this yet), she has yet another rival for bland Keita's affections: her very own sister. Do we know if the sister is older, younger or a fraternal twin?

The game was hilarious. The sort of game of Life that makes players consider ending their own.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Do we know if the sister is older, younger or a fraternal twin?

I'm relatively sure that I remember hearing Chiaki use the imouto word when referring to her sister. So I think it's a younger sister. Yes, I'm certain it is. Almost. There's a noticeable size difference anyway. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but Cam0, you also thought that Aguri was Nobe SO HOW CAN I TRUST ANYTHING YOU SAY???

Wink
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Anime is filled with twins identifying an older and younger sister, though, so they could still be twins.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Valid point. It's not as if twins come out at exactly the same time. And if they did, I would severely feel sorry for their mother.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The age if the sister is something I was pondering. She is referred to as younger sister, so this would normally imply that at the most she would be first year high school, yet she is the student council president, which sounds a little hard as a first year. I could then think maybe she is in middle school, but the rivalry with Karen I don't think would make sense with them only having a comparison with her as a first year middle schooler and Karen a 3rd year, and the rest of the student council said something along the lines of if Karen went to the school she is at, implying it is a high school.

Leaving a couple theories, first is that maybe the age difference between the sister and Chiaki is less than 12 months, with Chiaki just fitting in as the older side of the grade, and the sister in the younger side. Or that they are twins, with the sister just being on the short side. I thought about this maybe too much.

Actually, just had a funny thought about Seitokai no Ichizon, where the sister would be a stand in for Ken, who was also pretty heavy about eroge and dating sims, only she is loved while Ken is.... Sugisaki Ken.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Wikipedia just says "younger sister." And I can't find any official profiles that indicate ages for any of the characters. What we do know, though, is that Chiaki and Konoha go to different schools. Given that high schools in Japan a) have to be tested into, and b) cost money, we have a few options here.

1) Chiaki and Konoha are twins, and either through choice, test results, or affordability, ended up at different high schools. Given that everyone seems to have enough money to go to the game store every day, affordability isn't likely. Since Karen has top grades, and Konoha is said to have good, but not the top, test results are also not likely. So, if they are twins, it would be choice (either theirs or their parents') that put them in different schools.

2) Chiaki is 9-ish months older than Konoha, putting them in the same grade level (but barely). This would likely fall under the "choice" scenario from above, for not putting them in the same school.

3) Chiaki is a year older than Konoha, putting Konoha as a 1st year. To me, this one seems somewhat likely, especially if you look at her official artwork and how her blazer looks too big for her. It would make more sense (to me) for a high school to have less of the smaller size, rather than a junior high (where you're going to have younger, and therefore smaller, students). Of course, it could just be a stylistic choice. But it still leaves us with the "why different schools?"

4) Chiaki is 2(+) years older than Konoha, putting Konoha as 3rd year Jr. High. Other than the loose uniform, this would make the most sense. If Konoha was always hailed basically as "jack of all trades/master of none," even without competing directly against Karen, but seeing how her sister measures up to her (since Chiaki and Karen are in the same class) could still cause the 1-sided rivalry (since Karen doesn't seem to know who she is). And it would clearly explain why they're in different schools.

Although, this throws a wrench into all of these: The student council. In pretty much everything I've seen, the student council is always co-ed, especially the older the characters, with one exception: gendered schools. So if Konoha goes to an all-girls school, that throws out any hints that the student council could give us.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny game was funny...but I *really* don't like Chiaki so I can't sympathize with her.
I don't get why she always says "Desu desu" either (at least it sounds like she's saying that) but yeah, that is rather irritating. Rolling Eyes

Karen and Keita are cuter together. At least they get along, knowing who the other one is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The way Chiaki talks does sound more like "dess dess", the "u" more silent than say another character with such a verbal tic like Suiseiseki. Curiously it seemed like she said it so much in episode 8, which has me think of the psychological element her using it is her trying to be polite, something made to have her look cute, something she does more consciously so, a habit of some sort. Actually, I think it might be kind of ironic that she is the most "moe" character in the cast, which in turn her quirk being here less could have meant it was part of irony may be less prevalent since she is maybe caring less? I am probably thinking too much about it.

I did find it funny in the episode when Chiaki called Keita gross for buying an adult game in broad daylight, when her sister had just done the same thing.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
but I *really* don't like Chiaki so I can't sympathize with her.
I don't get why she always says "Desu desu" either (at least it sounds like she's saying that) but yeah, that is rather irritating. Rolling Eyes

YOU MONSTER. I find Chiaki's desu desu thing to be cute. More desu desus please.

But yeah KarenxKeita is the better ship. But I wouldn't mind ChiakixKeita. That would be just fine too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

YOU MONSTER.

I believe you mean

"YOU PERSON WHO ISN'T A MALE OTAKU VULNERABLE TO THE POWER OF 'MOE DESU!!"

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Actually, I think it might be kind of ironic that she is the most "moe" character in the cast,

She is? o_O

I always thought she was the least cute, having the biggest boobs and unkempt seaweed hair......

Aguri's way more 'moe', imho, come on, her hair is PINK. lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I think it might be kind of ironic that she is the most "moe" character in the cast,

She is? o_O

I always thought she was the least cute, having the biggest boobs and unkempt seaweed hair......

Aguri's way more 'moe', imho, come on, her hair is PINK. lol

Ah, but moe and cute are not the same thing. Moe refers to creating the feeling of wanting to protect, if anything a girl with unkempt hair is more likely to have that effect than a girl who can go so far as dye her to pursue the object of her affection.

And do I have to get Haruhi like to explain how big boobs do not mean an exclusion of being moe, like with Mikuru?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0fQPkNdMY

Having a verbal tic is also one part of being moe, like something a helpless child might have. I am saying it is ironic that while Agiri is cute, she is actually pretty aggressive in what she wants, while Chiaki is pretty moe in everything except when moe gets involved and she becomes rather stern. I am pretty sure that would make irony.

If we are going to have a conversation about moe, I might even mention Monthly Shoujo Nozaki-kun, where the most moe character is Mikorin, something part of how that show plays with what makes a moe.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
MALE OTAKU VULNERABLE TO THE POWER OF 'MOE DESU!!

I do not admit being vulnerable to that. I plead not guilty.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I kind of really like the friendship between Keita and Aguri. That Aguri was not going to take someone putting him down for being a geeky gamer, and that Keita would put off a game he has really been looking forward to if he thought Aguri needed the emotional support. And in-between the two was a scene where the other three talked about how his devotion to gaming is what makes him. I think maybe sets up what this show has done In showing how communication can be important, not just romantic but a normal friendship between these two. And that despite some of the cliché, Keita is more complex than just dedicated gamer, he would go to his friend if they needed it, but the others will think it is some bigger deal.

Also quite liked the phone call between Keita and Karen. From his poor choice of topic and wording clearly shocking Karen, Keita being a goof, followed by Karen then being a goof, her saying she likes him, and him finishing off by getting serious and asking why his girlfriend is so adorable. Which happened to be in front of two girls that sort of like him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6