Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Brother-Sister Romances That Went Too Far


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Blanchimont
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 2272
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
spoiler[If certain spoilers I've heard from latest volumes of Eromanga Sensei are true and deliver, we might have a contender for these at our hands...]

Edit; Put in spoiler just in case...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter Hunt



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 77
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
What a mess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2805
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Koi Kaze was indeed pretty good, it's the only I can remember that acknowledge that being brother x sister is a disadvantages and seriously look at the implication. It helped that it wasn't a fan service vehicle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1465
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
But the people in Joker Game had different faces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cam0



Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 4340
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
I first thought of voting for Onizuka but then I thought I don't really admire him. So I voted for Hiko Seijūrō XIII from Rurouni Kenshin. Not sure if that's the teacher I admire the most in all of anime I've seen but he's gotta be out there. I may be a straight dude, but he is pretty sexy. A big badass muscle dude, a sexy voice (sub), a way with words, that long black hair in a pony tail, an aura of mystery and of course a swordmaster. There's something pretty cool about his name too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3712
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
spoiler[If certain spoilers I've heard from latest volumes of Eromanga Sensei are true and deliver, we might have a contender for these at our hands...]

Edit; Put in spoiler just in case...


Even without reading the source or spoilers, I wouldn't be surprised if Eromanga sensei went in that direction with their relationship. spoiler[We know their feelings for each other. Though I guess they could surprise me.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hellsoldier



Joined: 21 Jun 2013
Posts: 523
Location: Porto,Portugal,Europe,Earth,Sol
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Aside from the fact that only in North America are step-siblings and cousins considered incest, I have a little something to say on this topic:

I don't care.

Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it. It is nothing but disgust, not a rational behavior. I'm pretty some of these people are better than many ''normal'' people out there.

I'm glad there are anime works that go ''to far''. The more people scream and shout about something, the more they have to think about it, and it amuses me. Come on, bring out more sultry work and intensify it.

Out of this list, I only intend to watch Koi Kaze. Though I have watched Grisaia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1175
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Aside from the fact that only in North America are step-siblings and cousins considered incest, I have a little something to say on this topic:

I don't care.

Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it. It is nothing but disgust, not a rational behavior. I'm pretty some of these people are better than many ''normal'' people out there.

I'm glad there are anime works that go ''to far''. The more people scream and shout about something, the more they have to think about it, and it amuses me. Come on, bring out more sultry work and intensify it.

Out of this list, I only intend to watch Koi Kaze.


You should probably watch Aki Sora + Yosuga no Sora so you can see what anime is available of doing without being outright hentai...At least on the former. (.)(.)

That said, you should probably check out Grisaia. The first season was an handful of wtf, they just tried to go the Amagami way with the 1 route per 2 or 3 episodes, following the common route, but ended up making everything feel cheap. Season's 2, which is just an 1 hour special, and 3 are, however, one of the best adaptations of an eroge that I know of. They cut out a lot of stuff from the VN ( I would know, tried to read the whole thing, the whole 3, in Japanese despite the fact that my Japanese skills are meager at best)but you'll never know that. If you want prime entertainment, then you know where to look for.

Anyone can disagree with me, but that's my opinion at least.

PS: Greetings from Porto, too. Wink

PSS: I agree with you. People in the US seemingly don't know that moral compasses in literature are looser...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morry



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 725
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Uhhh, that Yosuga no Sora summary is pretty inaccurate since the story does the multi-verse route approach, so the "incest" arc doesn't involve him screwing every other girl beforehand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raftina



Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 3282
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it.

I think you mean "flak". "Getting flak" means receives a lot of criticism. "Getting slack" means being tolerated or accepted.

That being said, there are 2 rather practical reasons to reject incest in the nuclear family. The first, related to the disgust factor--is eugenics. The second is the potential for abuse of authority in a setting where abuse of authority is difficult to detect and should not be tolerated. It is why teacher-student relationship is so repulsive in many societies, the most extreme being China, where it is viewed in the same manner as parent-child relationship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
K.o.R



Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
No selector infected WIXOSS then? Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Gemnist



Joined: 10 Feb 2016
Posts: 1613
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it.

I think you mean "flak". "Getting flak" means receives a lot of criticism. "Getting slack" means being tolerated or accepted.

That being said, there are 2 rather practical reasons to reject incest in the nuclear family. The first, related to the disgust factor--is eugenics. The second is the potential for abuse of authority in a setting where abuse of authority is difficult to detect and should not be tolerated. It is why teacher-student relationship is so repulsive in many societies, the most extreme being China, where it is viewed in the same manner as parent-child relationship.


I should also add that incest is known to cause numerous health problems, most notably that children born out of incest will often have brain disorders or birth defects. Hence why King Joffrey is such an utter dick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Parsifal24



Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 950
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Other than Kagihime Monogatari - Eikyuu Alice Rondo, Angel Sanctuary, and The Eden of Grisaia I've seen every series mentioned although I did not finish the second season of OreImo because the first five where so dreadfully boring.
Also like clockwork when a discussion about Incest comes up someone will defend it under the rubric of consent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XerneasYveltal



Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 605
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised if OreImo was in there.

K.o.R wrote:
No selector infected WIXOSS then? Razz


The relationship between Yuzuki and her twin brother spoiler[didn't last that long enough] for it to become a thing though.


Last edited by XerneasYveltal on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Not_Nitsugalego



Joined: 29 Mar 2017
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
*7 Brother-Sister Romances That Went Exactly Where They Needed To Go
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group