• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Brother-Sister Romances That Went Too Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Okay, now I'm really curious. What was Kirino's deal, anyway?

spoiler[
Manami is herself in love with Kyosuke and actually does some rather underhanded things to interfere with his relationship prospects. Kyosuke doesn't share her feelings.]

I really don't get why this is such a thing with people. spoiler[Manami IS in love with Kyosuke, but the only one that I know of that she OVERTLY "sabotages" is Kirino. One could argue that late in the series she even helps the other girls to see to it that he ends up with anyone OTHER than his little sister (whether it be herself or someone else). Manami is the one that tells BOTH of them to their faces that "society won't accept this", and while people here might say "screw society", societal acceptance is a MUCH bigger deal in Japan.

Manami did explicitly "bully" Kirino off of her brother, and she arguably "molded" Kyosuke into who he is at the start of the series. But really, if it was really that easy, then that's why he should have ended up with Tamura, because "a girl suggests it, so I became this guy" is not a valid reason (or sustainable motivator) for the serious life change that is "blamed" on Tamura.

Also, (finally) if you're gonna paint Manami as the "villain" in this, then Kyosuke is an absolute ****, because Kyosuke has a conversation with a classmate where he notes he doesn't see himself with Manami BUT will basically fight anyone ELSE who tries to go out with her, basically admitting that he wants to string her along as long as possible.]
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I should also add that incest is known to cause numerous health problems, most notably that children born out of incest will often have brain disorders or birth defects.

Are you implying the only reason two people have, or SHOULD have sex is to procreate...?

I see so as long as procreation doesn't come into play incest is all good and dandy eh ?
Sisters banging brothers, sons banging mothers, daughters banging fathers. What a happy world. Rolling Eyes
People who accept and condone incest wether it's real or fiction are sick.

In a philosophy essay, you would've already failed. The use of strawman arguments, plus insults, plus no proper argument for your case, equals: An emotional mess of no worth whatsoever. If you have a view, voice it. Voice it at will, but keep it articulate, inteligent and civilized, in order to be taken seriously. This would sound like a Trump argument, were it not for his unhealthy obssession over Ivanka

I think some people here would find some CLAMP works, like say X/1999, shocking.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Are people so ignorant about child sexual abuse that they don't realize that real-life incest almost always falls into that category, or does otaku wish fulfillment "incest" stories that don't reflect reality in the slightest really make people think incest is usually between two consenting emotionally mature people in real life? I have much more sympathy for the "don't confuse fantasy with reality" argument than the "it's not that bad, even in real life" argument. Read a book about child abuse survivors and the long term affects of severe trauma before making that claim. It's an impossible to prove devil's advocate argument that any kind of real life incest is based on a healthy relationship, when there is so much evidence to the contrary.
(I personally recommend Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery, which is often used as a psychology textbook and draws parallels between all different types of trauma, as a starting point on the topic of trauma in general.)

In all of the thread I don't remember reading anyone saying ''most incest is consensual''. So, back to the point please, since I was only talking about consenting adults. This is kinda non-sequitur. (Though I guess I have a new book to check out).

I forgot to state for the record that I find almost all anime on this topic, of flushable quality. To each their, but...

My point wasn't that people were arguing that most incest is consensual, my point is that there are virtually no documented real life cases of happy, emotionally healthy incest couples with a closer relationship than cousins (and I don't have a problem with cousins marrying, personally). I heard *one* story on a podcast of a couple meeting each other as adults, realizing they shared a biologically father, changing their names/documents and marrying anyway. I'm not even sure if the story was true, since it ran on Snap Judgment, one of those story telling podcasts that mix non-fiction and fiction (like This American Life, accept this American life clearly mentions which stories are which). Besides for that one story, I can't think of an incest story outside fiction that was healthy. The people making the argument that an incestuous relationship in real life is unfairly discriminated against have the burden of proof, and no one has offered any argument beyond philosophical musing.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Are people so ignorant about child sexual abuse that they don't realize that real-life incest almost always falls into that category, or does otaku wish fulfillment "incest" stories that don't reflect reality in the slightest really make people think incest is usually between two consenting emotionally mature people in real life? I have much more sympathy for the "don't confuse fantasy with reality" argument than the "it's not that bad, even in real life" argument. Read a book about child abuse survivors and the long term affects of severe trauma before making that claim. It's an impossible to prove devil's advocate argument that any kind of real life incest is based on a healthy relationship, when there is so much evidence to the contrary.
(I personally recommend Judith Herman's Trauma and Recovery, which is often used as a psychology textbook and draws parallels between all different types of trauma, as a starting point on the topic of trauma in general.)

In all of the thread I don't remember reading anyone saying ''most incest is consensual''. So, back to the point please, since I was only talking about consenting adults. This is kinda non-sequitur. (Though I guess I have a new book to check out).

I forgot to state for the record that I find almost all anime on this topic, of flushable quality. To each their, but...

My point wasn't that people were arguing that most incest is consensual, my point is that there are virtually no documented real life cases of happy, emotionally healthy incest couples with a closer relationship than cousins (and I don't have a problem with cousins marrying, personally). I heard *one* story on a podcast of a couple meeting each other as adults, realizing they shared a biologically father, changing their names/documents and marrying anyway. I'm not even sure if the story was true, since it ran on Snap Judgment, one of those story telling podcasts that mix non-fiction and fiction (like This American Life, accept this American life clearly mentions which stories are which). Besides for that one story, I can't think of an incest story outside fiction that was healthy. The people making the argument that an incestuous relationship in real life is unfairly discriminated against have the burden of proof, and no one has offered any argument beyond philosophical musing.

You'll need translation, since its a portuguese language news article.

Nonetheless, thank you for your sober response. It was a good reply. I do believe that the debate would've been better overall with this sort of interaction was the norm for all, myself included. Anyways, the couple in the article sounds healthy.

Público is one of our best newspapers, so the source is reliable.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

My point wasn't that people were arguing that most incest is consensual, my point is that there are virtually no documented real life cases of happy, emotionally healthy incest couples with a closer relationship than cousins ...

Might be because of the stigma attached and possible legal repercussions they aren't that keen on advertising their relationships all over. But a simple google search does reveal at least a couple of such stories.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

My point wasn't that people were arguing that most incest is consensual, my point is that there are virtually no documented real life cases of happy, emotionally healthy incest couples with a closer relationship than cousins ...

Might be because of the stigma attached and possible legal repercussions they aren't that keen on advertising their relationships all over. But a simple google search does reveal at least a couple of such stories.

Well, two or three at least come to mind.

This reminds me of an article from The Guardian. Though the parental examples bother me.

Also, is OreImo any good?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The spies in Joker have different faces lol, even Gintama Laughing they even made fun of it.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

If you like Eromanga Sensei, you will like Oreimo.

The comedy is great, have good characters and the artistic part is great.
Now, you will get tons of people that hate it, mostly in the west but it was very successful in Japan, except the part they changed the ending in the anime because of "political reasons".

Oreimo is a case of Love or Hate. But i really liked. You should try it and make your on opinion of it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

I would say:
-If you like standard vanilla-lead, harem shows (full disclosure, I do so I don't mean this as a knock) then, Season 1 is pretty good
-If you like hyper-aggressive tsundere types, then the whole thing is pretty good
-If you like both of the above points ESPECIALLY when the tsundere is a little sister, then Oreimo is a top-shelf show
-If you like the first two points, but want to tear things up if "best girl loses" and point 3 won't be "best girl" to you, then either ONLY watch season 1 or avoid the show entirely

(If it wasn't clear from my earlier post, I'm one of the few, the proud, Manami Tamura shippers)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

If I ignore the last two episodes then I actually think it's a very good series; its second season would have firmly been in my top 5 of its release year if not for its ending, and IIRC its first season was a near-miss for my top 5 list for that year, too. It has a lot of fun character interactions and I constantly found it to be a step or two above expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

spoiler[Also, (finally) if you're gonna paint Manami as the "villain" in this, then Kyosuke is an absolute ****, because Kyosuke has a conversation with a classmate where he notes he doesn't see himself with Manami BUT will basically fight anyone ELSE who tries to go out with her, basically admitting that he wants to string her along as long as possible.]

I'm not disputing that Kyosuke is a jerk. But I find myself having very little sympathy for characters who never take their chance on someone they've been crushing on for years but then feel like meddling in their crush's romantic lives. Manami is a classic anime case of this.

Kyosuke's talking about beating up people that wanted to date Manami is asshole material, but that situation stands because Manami lets it stand. She wants to keep on playing "we're really good buddies" and never makes her own feelings clear or gives Kyosuke any kind of ultimatum. Tsubasa had to come close to ruin before she learned that lesson in the Monogatari. I have zero sympathy for Manami or any of the "do-nothing but pine" next door girl types.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
I'm not disputing that Kyosuke is a jerk. But I find myself having very little sympathy for characters who never take their chance on someone they've been crushing on for years but then feel like meddling in their crush's romantic lives. Manami is a classic anime case of this.

They make it VERY clear that BOTH Manami & Kirino feel that the other one has been "in their way" for a very long time. If anything, the ending proves that Manami was correct. I feel like the show is standard harem tropes for the girls, so I don't really feel like Manami is any "less proactive" than any other girl in the show. Heck, Manami has her grandparents telling Kyosuke to "just marry her already".

I would argue that Manami does EVERYTHING possible, including spoiler[trying to help ANY other option] to prevent the incest route simply because she knows how difficult that will be for Kyosuke and cares for him enough that she doesn't want him to go through that. (even if he's not with her)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
zarzam wrote:

The bible has no problem with incest period.

It has specific and clear prohibitions against certain relationships (and related to when I mentioned it, cousin/cousin relationships are not among them).

Reference chapters 12 to 26 of the Book of Deuteronomy and Leviticus chapter 18, verses 8-18 and chapter 20, verses 11-21.

I'll leave aside the Bible sometimes appearing to conflict with itself, as I don't want this topic sidelined by a religious discussion.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

It's because your siblings are only a tiny fraction of the population: absent pressures resulting from the sibling relationship itself [ie, "unhealthy relationship"], the chances that you'll be attracted chiefly to your sibling and them to you are basically zero. And because the normal pressures are against that relationship the figures are even lower.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
man, whenever there's an incest article on ANN the forum blows up.

Anyway, who put Kimura (Azumanga Daiyoh) as a teacher they most admire Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9