• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Brother-Sister Romances That Went Too Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I know what I'm getting into with most incest shows/shows that have incest in them. Oreimo only went too far because Kirino was the worst choice.

"We did but we didn't"? Everyone would have rather you two didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I know what I'm getting into with most incest shows/shows that have incest in them. Oreimo only went too far because Kirino was the worst choice.

"We did but we didn't"? Everyone would have rather you two didn't.

LOL, not everyone. There are lots of Kirino fans. (im in Ayase ship but Kirino was nº2)
My only regret was that the author was not able to have is way and done a full explicit ending and had to make that implicit ending because of "political" reasons.

WingKing wrote:
Japan's age of consent is 13 and I think the boy is 14 or 15, but it was still kind of icky to me personally. If they were college age or adults, I wouldn't have had nearly as big an issue with it.

I think you and many people don't really know the law.
The minimal age of consent is 13 for boys and girls but the law forbids sex with people under 18 years old except in some districts and prefectures when is proved that they have true romantic feelings and is approved by the parents.

The age of 13 is in reality only applied in 2 small islands, and is higher in the rest if the country.

BTY the minimal age of marriage is 16 for girls and 18 for boys with parental consent.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Japan's age of consent is 13 and I think the boy is 14 or 15, but it was still kind of icky to me personally. If they were college age or adults, I wouldn't have had nearly as big an issue with it.

This is one of those weird perpetuated things that really needs to stop within the fandom. National age of consent as 13 is not the actual law in most prefectures, which is higher.

Blanchimont wrote:
Also Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka, but only the anime adaptation and PC version of the visual novel...

They actually do a backpedal in the final episode with the sibling's parents hinting that they aren't actually related but they don't ever officially come out and say it. This is another one of those silly harem shows I watched all the way through for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

Ultimately yes it does ultimately boil down to a religious objection as I base my ethics upon The Christian Scriptures that does lead me to take rather traditional views on human sexuality.

I am curious how you view the common cousin trope in anime, since the Bible itself appears to have no problem with marriage between cousins.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

And they don't kill each other or commit suicide as far as i know.

Either you're not counting it if only one party made the attempt, or you are unfamiliar with one of the titles on the list: spoiler[Yosuga no Sora]

Gemnist wrote:

I should also add that incest is known to cause numerous health problems, most notably that children born out of incest will often have brain disorders or birth defects. Hence why King Joffrey is such an utter dick.

Undesirable effects from expression of recessive genes normally takes more than one generation to appear.

Aside from effective birth control rendering this a non-issue (preferably one of the involved parties getting "fixed"), we are reaching the point where genetic screening for anyone that may have a child makes more sense from a biological standpoint than simple social taboos against people of certain relations having an intimate physical relationship.

That leaves the other reason for the taboo, which was preventing groups from becoming too insular. It is arguable that in age where we can drive across states or fly across country (or countries) in the same time it once took people to travel to the next distant village, that isn't much of an issue.

I would argue that Joffrey's personality was more due to nurture than nature, but only the author knows for certain, since we are speaking of a fictional world.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:

Ultimately yes it does ultimately boil down to a religious objection as I base my ethics upon The Christian Scriptures that does lead me to take rather traditional views on human sexuality.

I am curious how you view the common cousin trope in anime, since the Bible itself appears to have no problem with marriage between cousins.

No problem even between half brothers. Abraham and his wife Sarah were half-siblings. having the same father.
Abraham's brother married his niece.
Abraham's son married his first cousin.
Jacob married Leah and Rachel and both were his cousins.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

And they don't kill each other or commit suicide as far as i know.

Either you're not counting it if only one party made the attempt, or you are unfamiliar with one of the titles on the list: spoiler[Yosuga no Sora]
As it was a attempt so it was not going too far beyond the point of no return. There are plenty of dramatic stories that end well. But i get your point.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I'll mention about Oreimo is that I can't wait to finally read the Kuroneko manga, because all reviews I read say it retcons the anime's ending the best possible way, which I sorely need. Even after all this time, the anime's ending and the irreparable damage it did to the characters' relationships still haunts me to this day and I need to wash it out with the manga's ending.

Had not heard this. Will definitely check the manga out if it gets an English release, as I'd love to see that ending retconned.

As Mgosdin mentioned, the entire series is out now, courtesy of Dark Horse! I'm merely waiting for the next Dark Horse sale on Right Stuf before collecting it!
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
While I understand why people would have a problem with Oreimo's ending, I see no problem with it and do not regret watching it.

[because someone has to have that opinion]
Slashman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
While I understand why people would have a problem with Oreimo's ending, I see no problem with it and do not regret watching it.

Seems to me that most of the people who objected did so because they didn't like Kirino and were either huge Ayase or Kuroneko fans. Which in actuality seems kind of silly when you learn the whys of how Kirino turned out the way she did. Usually I find myself chaffing when a protagonist goes after the girl with the most problems. baggage and difficult circumstances but I actually didn't really mind the Kirino route in this case.

For one thing, Kuroneko backed herself out of the relationship. No one forced her. And Ayase was riding high on her 'loathe you but not really' train right up until the end so why are people so surprised at the end? Who knows.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
OniAi gets pretty close.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
I cannot wait for Citrus anime to change the game and show that (adopted) sister-sister love is much better and more superior than the overused and oversaturated brother-sister love. Double the forbidden love!

Of course, I am not being mindless here and condoning any real-life incest. Incest is a serious definitive issue in real life. However, Japan is arguably the country that glorifies incest the most.

PS: Candy Boy is also another yuri incest anime that is sadly a series of shorts.

XerneasYveltal wrote:
I'm not surprised if OreImo was in there.

K.o.R wrote:
No selector infected WIXOSS then? Razz

The relationship between Yuzuki and her twin brother spoiler[didn't last that long enough] for it to become a thing though.

spoiler[I am glad that Yuzuki ended up with her then-LRIG Hanayo in the end.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I wonder what Japan thinks of Game of Thrones, which clearly has the most ultimate brother-sister twincest possible.

Gemnist wrote:
Hence why King Joffrey is such an utter dick.

I think Game of Thrones beats most anime at their own game with all its incest, which somehow includes brother-sister incest scenes that are meant to be titillating (I think), father-daughter incest that is absolutely terrifying, lots of discussion of incest that's mentioned rather than shown, and Joffery, who's existence as a character should almost act as a birth control for the other characters (wonder if Tyrion was afraid he'd end up w/a Joffery if he had kids!). Razz
That said, Hajime Isayama binged watched Game of Thrones recently, and I can't decide if him dabbling in its themes in his own work might make Attack on Titan better or worse...but I could totally see how he liked it: it has walls, supernatural zombie-like monsters, medieval politiking, and strong blade wielding ladies...actually, all Isayama needs to add is a character with Dwarfism and an attitude! Laughing
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Aside from the fact that only in North America are step-siblings and cousins considered incest, I have a little something to say on this topic:

I don't care.

Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it. It is nothing but disgust, not a rational behavior. I'm pretty some of these people are better than many ''normal'' people out there.

I'm glad there are anime works that go ''to far''. The more people scream and shout about something, the more they have to think about it, and it amuses me. Come on, bring out more sultry work and intensify it.

This. I really don't care how other people want to run their lives. More often than not, instead of protecting or preventing, we discriminate and stigmatize. Not to mention, with anime, there's that added level of fictionality that makes it even more harmless.

Other than that, I'm really happy to see that many of the comments here have already said what I had wanted to say. (^.^)
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Seems to me that most of the people who objected did so because they didn't like Kirino and were either huge Ayase or Kuroneko fans. Which in actuality seems kind of silly when you learn the whys of how Kirino turned out the way she did. Usually I find myself chaffing when a protagonist goes after the girl with the most problems. baggage and difficult circumstances but I actually didn't really mind the Kirino route in this case.

For one thing, Kuroneko backed herself out of the relationship. No one forced her. And Ayase was riding high on her 'loathe you but not really' train right up until the end so why are people so surprised at the end? Who knows.

Im of the same opinion. Like i said before i was on ship Ayase but i have no problem with Kirino route because of the way it was write and reason why she was that way.

Also in many harems if find the best route is the most difficult and complicated and they find happiness in the end.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
I could write an whole essay about my opinion to this topic but the main points were all said. Let them do their thing who are you to criticize it? and you don't have to make children, or you can take a test in advance to check if there is even a risk, because those defects don't occur in everyone.

To Oreimo: There are 2 VNs for the PSP which let you choose any of the girls because Kyousuke lost his memories. The explanation why it is ok to marry Kirino and even have two kids with her is the classic "she's adopted". Don't like this explanation but it's still nice to see a real ending to the story.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
No selector infected WIXOSS then? Razz

that's because it wasnt explicit enough. and if you've seen the series, it shouldnt be a surprise that it wasnt.

Quote:
All of that combined led to an audience revolt, something the series' wedding scene practically sealed with its "we did but we didn't" conclusion in the three-episode OVA.

no. what lead to that revolt was how it ended. instead of going all the way like in the light novel and in other series like yosuga no sora , aki sora and koi kaze , the OVA did it completely half assed which is why the audience were pissed off. its that decision is why i believed that other LN series are now having couples either not blood related (eromanga sensei) or cousins (Tokyo Ravens, Trinity Seven & SAO: Fairy Dance Arc)

and speaking of the latter i wouldnt be surprised at all that its because of the oreimo fiasco was the reason SAO's author have those two as cousins and not twins let alone not have them as a couple in that arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9