• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Choose Top 10 Unreasonably Violent Female Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45 & @yuna49 I think you are confusing "Unreasonably Violent" with "murderous", the latter would add characters like Yono Gasai (Future Diary), Makoto Kusanagi (GitS) and Android #18 (DBZ). The violence in this list is mostly of the kind one might find in our daily lives or slapstick, not the one akin of war zones or serial killers.

For those wanting to see an idiotic (bludgeon proof) female be constantly punched by her love interest, wait for Aho Girl, you will be thinking "Hit her harder" when you see it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't read the survey site, so I have to assume that there is something in the questionnaire that implies slapstick, fake violence or relationship violence. I'm still not sure how Haruhi Suzumiya got there because she can be controlling but is not violent.

Makoto Kusanagi (GitS) is not unreasonably violent or murderous. She uses violence as a tool in her occupation but goes no further than necessary. Revy on the other hand has the job she does because she loves mayhem and violence. That is why I say she is unreasonable.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I can't read the survey site, so I have to assume that there is something in the questionnaire that implies slapstick, fake violence or relationship violence.

I gave it a check but saw nothing that implies something beyond what we already know from the english article title (the english article itself is flavor text), unless of course there is something between the lines I didn't get.

Quote:
I'm still not sure how Haruhi Suzumiya got there because she can be controlling but is not violent.

This is a mere supposition, but coercion can be a form of violence. Here in the west if someone tries to coerce you are supposed to say "f*ck it" and walk the other way, but in the east you are supposed to be a team player and follow the leader and since Haruhi has balls bigger than her breasts, she is the defacto leader of the group and everybody is supposed to do as she says, which in a patriarch society as japan might be infuriating, in comparison taking a hit from a girl should be a lesser problem since females are frail creatures and japanese men are jojo level of macho (supposedly).

Quote:
Makoto Kusanagi (GitS) is not unreasonably violent or murderous. She uses violence as a tool in her occupation but goes no further than necessary. Revy on the other hand has the job she does because she loves mayhem and violence. That is why I say she is unreasonable.

From dictionary.com

murderous, adjective.
2. guilty of, bent on, or capable of murder.

two out of three describe Makoto quite well. Albeit Makoto finds no pleasure in murder, that does not wipe the blood in her hands.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Murder is defined according to Google as:
"the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another"

Given her job, Makoto Kusanagi (GitS) is not guilty of murder as far as we know. It is not illegal.

Further she is not shown to be "Bent on Murder" either, killing is something done out of necessity.

"Capable of murder" is rather a stretch. A lot of people who never harmed anyone are capable of murder under the wrong circumstances.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Murder is defined according to Google as:
"the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another"

Given her job, Makoto Kusanagi (GitS) is not guilty of murder as far as we know. It is not illegal.

Remember section 9 is akin to "mission impossible", they answer only to the highest elected official of the executive branch to "cut red tape" which is an euphemism for acting above the law, lack of prosecution does not mean what they do is legal. Take the opening scene of the original movie "she successfully assassinates a diplomat of a foreign country to prevent a programmer named Daita from defecting.", that can't be legal in any country that recognizes and abides by international law like japan,I saw nothing in the movies or the TV series to make me think Gits has turned into something akin to Judge Dredd .

Quote:
"Capable of murder" is rather a stretch. A lot of people who never harmed anyone are capable of murder under the wrong circumstances.

Normal humans can't unless they are in extreme circumstances wherethey are convinced that who they are killing is not human and/or that your own life is in clear and present danger from said individual. Only humans with lot of training (including practical) can kill someone as part of their daily routine and continue their lives as if nothing happened.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
I think too much is being read into this issue. Black Lagoon sold decently well in Japan when it was released in 2006 averaging about 5,000 copies per release. Haruhi was in a different league entirely, averaging over 40,000 copies per release. Haruhi remains a household name in the Japanese anime community; Revy not so much.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm still of the opinion that there are connotations to the question that are invisible to Westerners. I don't think you can otherwise explain the lack of seriously violent women in the top five of the list. It could be a lack of familiarity with the really scary ladies, too, I suppose. But I'd say that list seems to be of women who are "violent" in a comedic/romantic sense, not in a "slaughter your family because you didn't tell me that your cousin was a girl" sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4