Forum - View topic
Your Complete Guide to the Spin-Offs of Attack on Titan


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
thekingsdinner



Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 818
Location: Terheijden, Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
...Nothing about the Junior High manga? Come on, that manga is hilarious (especially volumes 3 & 4), I'd say it's far better than the anime was. Still won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're a big AoT fan like me than I'd highly recommend it.

I've also started collecting the Before the Fall manga. Honestly didn't know there was a novel of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3603
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
...Nothing about the Junior High manga? Come on, that manga is hilarious (especially volumes 3 & 4), I'd say it's far better than the anime was. Still won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're a big AoT fan like me than I'd highly recommend it.

I've also started collecting the Before the Fall manga. Honestly didn't know there was a novel of it.


They covered the Junior High anime, and they're only talking about one version of each property.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
minidynz



Joined: 14 Jun 2017
Posts: 12
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
For me, my favorite is the "No Regrets" because I want to know the past of Levi and on how he join the survey corps and became the humanity strongest soldier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Utsuro no Hako



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 766
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
There's one more novel out there, The End of the World, which is based upon the live action movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15250
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
There's one more novel out there, The End of the World, which is based upon the live action movies.

The live action movie is entirely its own separate interpretation, so we decided to stick only with things directly related to the anime/manga versions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Posts: 574
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I've also started collecting the Before the Fall manga. Honestly didn't know there was a novel of it.
Same. I was also surprised when reading the descriptions of the Before the Fall and Kuklo Unbound novels, since it looks like the manga is more of an adaptation of the latter than the former: Angel's story is covered to some extent, but he's a much less prominent character than Kuklo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene



Joined: 16 Dec 2008
Posts: 1560
Location: The castle beyond the Goblin City
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It's worth mentioning that as of right now, the CYOA book is free on Kindle if that's how you read. I think it works better as a physical copy, but hey, free is free!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 1024
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Spoof on Titan being lauded as the better comedy spinoff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2113
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This sometimes-harrowing episode is easily the most potent of the OVAs in content, examining the brief life of a young woman who tries to combat her fear by writing down all of her thoughts, in the process teasing some revelations that finally come out in the second season of the anime series.


The (first half of season two spoiler) spoiler[titan who says the word "Ymir"] thing? It actually has nothing to do with anything that happens during the second season. (MAJOR manga spoiler) spoiler[The titan is referring to Ymir Fritz, First of All Titans, who is a completely different character than the "Ymir" who appears in the first two seasons.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 3969
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loved the hell out of those CYOA books when I was a kid. Maybe will pick that one up. lol
That definitely takes me back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Posts: 574
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The (first half of season two spoiler) spoiler[titan who says the word "Ymir"] thing? It actually has nothing to do with anything that happens during the second season. (MAJOR manga spoiler) spoiler[The titan is referring to Ymir Fritz, First of All Titans, who is a completely different character than the "Ymir" who appears in the first two seasons.]
Not really. The spoiler["Ymir's people"] part is connected to your major manga spoiler, but spoiler[the part with "Ymir-sama" and the genuflecting is very clearly implying that the titan is the blonde woman from "Ymir"'s cult, possibly confusing Ilse for the Ymir they had worshipped as the descendant of kings]. This isn't an anime-original thing either, since spoiler[chapter 89 of the manga shows that same woman in the flashback to "Ymir"'s past]. The difference is that the anime showed that reveal much earlier than the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
John Thacker
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 594
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So the adventure book is closer to one of the 80s and 90s adventure game books like the Lone Wolf series by Joe Dever, or the Fighting Fantasy or Sorcery! books of Steve Jackson than a CYOA? Interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2113
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The spoiler["Ymir's people"] part is connected to your major manga spoiler, but spoiler[the part with "Ymir-sama" and the genuflecting is very clearly implying that the titan is the blonde woman from "Ymir"'s cult, possibly confusing Ilse for the Ymir they had worshipped as the descendant of kings]. This isn't an anime-original thing either, since spoiler[chapter 89 of the manga shows that same woman in the flashback to "Ymir"'s past].


I completely missed that in spoiler[chapter 89]; I'll have to go back and check it out. With regards to your first point, the official version of the manga doesn't use honorifics, instead opting for spoiler[Lady Ymir], which could have very easily been used for spoiler[either character] without the context of your second point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 10 Nov 2014
Posts: 574
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
With regards to your first point, the official version of the manga doesn't use honorifics, instead opting for spoiler[Lady Ymir], which could have very easily been used for spoiler[either character] without the context of your second point.
spoiler["Sama" is gender-neutral, so it could have applied to both either way (in fact I didn't even remember that Ymir Fritz was also supposed to be female). I wasn't really saying that it could only apply to the other Ymir, only that it's not an unambiguous reference to Ymir Fritz, unlike "Ymir's people". It's the combination of the form of address and the titan's appearance that strongly implies which Ymir is meant there].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Heishi



Joined: 06 Mar 2016
Posts: 625
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Good article!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group