• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This is the show that sticked with me the most of all the show in 2016. It's very unique in most aspect, despite being just another trapped in mmo and is by far the show that handle dealing with (minor spoiler)spoiler[ loss and grieving] the best. Character are also not quite the archetype they initially appear to be and the one that are developed turn out to have many facets. The pacing is slow, but I think the show makes the most of its pace and it worked quite well for me. However this show is really not a power fantasy, quite the opposite, so it's definitely not for everyone.

I'll also say that while its true that this is more of a character driven story, I found it's plot to be incredibly solid if unremarkable. Nothing really big happen and the character impact on the world at large are negligible, but event naturally followed from each others and everything was properly setup. It never felt like the author really wanted something specific to happen and just decide to ignore basic logic or pull a retcon to make sure it happens. For example (big spoiler) spoiler[Manato was a priest yet constantly took risk and went to the front line, at the same time the group lingered quite a bit in the same area to the point where the goblin actually started being wary of there presence, so as a results Manato end up being attacked and since he was the only healer nobody could help him.]
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
A decent show with some really good stuff, such as the infamous and incredible first goblin fight scene, but the painfully slow pacing and misplaced fanservice dropped this from a fantastic show to merely a decent one. They should've cut out all the scenes of them randomly wandering streets and staring at the sky for minutes at a time and adapted a bit more of the source material. I don't mind when a show slows down but I can only stand so much of our heroes meandering up and down streets.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
No such listing ever got announced

Yup! One was announced about a year ago, with limited news as a follow-up:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-957985/crunchyroll-comes-to-blu-ray-and-dvd

It was last July.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I liked Grimgar. It wasn't the best or anything, but I loved the visuals and the insert songs. Made me call it Hai to Gensou no Insert songs. The amount of insert songs in one episode was hilarious.

Quote:
That being said, the camera seems to have a fascination with Yume's butt and isn't averse to lingering on Shihoru's chest or Mary's legs.

I loved every moment of it. Very Happy

Quote:
It's not quite a full-blown exercise in voyeurism, but the goal definitely seems to be sneaking extra fanservice into a very serious story, in ways that may not work for everyone.

Fortunately, it always works for me. Wink
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is the first anime that I watched thru a streaming service end which I also purchased to add to my anime collection!

I really enjoyed this show a lot!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2