• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will China or Korea Ever Compete With Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Because rather than have there own style they come off as pale imitations of Japanese styles.

For Japan animation started as a way to do ambitious shows with a limited budget and they have been doing it for over a century. For Korea it's a combination of businesses seeing profit in exporting animation due to Japan's success and Korean's making there own versions of the Japanese anime they watched as kids.

But that's basically how the anime industry works in Japan as well now, it's less about passion projects and more about finding the next big hit that will make them a profit. And being inspired from growing up watching anime doesn't necessarily mean it will be a cheap imitation, both the Avatar series and RWBY from the US are an example of that.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Ushio wrote:
Because rather than have there own style they come off as pale imitations of Japanese styles.

For Japan animation started as a way to do ambitious shows with a limited budget and they have been doing it for over a century. For Korea it's a combination of businesses seeing profit in exporting animation due to Japan's success and Korean's making there own versions of the Japanese anime they watched as kids.

But that's basically how the anime industry works in Japan as well now, it's less about passion projects and more about finding the next big hit that will make them a profit. And being inspired from growing up watching anime doesn't necessarily mean it will be a cheap imitation, both the Avatar series and RWBY from the US are an example of that.

That's not the point, it's about business for everyone involved in animation production.

Ushio's point is the Japanese have developed this way and style off doing animation, it's not just a business thing but also a cultural one.
Korea and China on the other hand "use" this kind of aesthetic and way of doing animation only because they see It as profitable.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I remember years ago seeing ads for A Chinese Ghost Story. I don't know how widespread its release was but it made it to English speaking shores.

Can't recall if it was Big Fish & Begonia, but when it (or another) movie's trailer first came out people were comparing it to Spirited Away and calling it a rip off despite it being very different. I think that that might be a common stance against Chinese (and maybe Korean) films; the assumption it's ripping off Japanese stuff or is being disingenuous. Maybe that reputation is warranted based on past actions, but it's a shame that it can be harmful to any potentially awesome productions.
(Though it does sound like China's own inner workings and regulations may be working against themselves too)

I also recall when King of Pigs came out. Maybe it was screening at a film festival (in Australia) or something...? Not sure, but I have heard about it before.

I would like for there to be more Korean and Chinese productions but I think there's some big hurdles (and not just regarding lots of the Japanese-Chinese co-productions recently having apparently been shit)...

But of course, then there's the discussion of if anything from those countries counts as "anime" or not...
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
Sad reality China and Korea can make any anime they want but it'll never get the same attention-popularity as the Japanese animations since people prefer the original, which is Japanese made. It's the same case with Japan or China having their own J-doramas, or C-dramas but internationally K-drama reigns, added with Jpop and Cpop Kpop still reigns in competition. Well China is fine in their own, they can't compete internationally with Japanese animation but their secluded country is big, they compete with themselves and still profit high.
Edit: I agree that Korean webtoons are getting the attention and can even compete for mangas specially the big hit of 2016 which is Killing Stalking, Noblesse is also a manhwa which is animated by a Japanese animation studio it was decently popular. The problem with China why their works doesnt get that much attention is that they're only copying Japan. I've seen most of their animations, C-dramas, manhuas, and I cant help thinking that ah I've already seen this somewhere... Like that any plot of a Japanese anime.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
I remember watching a Korean anime about a female teacher who teaches Taekwondo to her students.

I think Korea might have a chance but not China due to their government being very controlling on what can and cannot be aired and censoring anything they perceived that is anti-government.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Sad reality China and Korea can make any anime they want but it'll never get the same attention-popularity as the Japanese animations since people prefer the original, which is Japanese made. It's the same case with Japan or China having their own J-doramas, or C-dramas but internationally K-drama reigns, added with Jpop and Cpop Kpop still reigns in competition. Well China is fine in their own, they can't compete internationally with Japanese animation but their secluded country is big, they compete with themselves and still profit high.

I'm ignorant about J-K-C dramas and I know something about J-K pop although I'm not an expert for sure, also I might be wrong ... However the pop and drama thing looks to me more like a matter of what became famous first and not an "appropriation" of a already well established and very distinctive style, "used" to sell your product, trying to ride on the wave of popularity of the products you've taken that distinctive style from.

Agent355 wrote:
cut

Wow ... no one told me that mdo7 was back with his delusion of grandeur for everything korean Laughing
cutslo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope we can all agree that what we actually need more of is Taiwanese puppet shows.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Right now, it's still early to tell where Korean and Chinese animations are going. Obviously they're growing in their own unique ways and Japanese comic style (where Anime derives its designs from) has tremendous influence on both countries' animation designs. Regardless of style, it's imperative for them to make a stable system that constantly produce animation. More animation produced, more animation artists will develop their skills. Most important things is, can Chinese and Koreans make great entertaining animation that appeals to many? The core has to be sturdy even before greenlit a production. Japanese mainly use their their comics and youth novels for story source materials to their advantage. It's cheap to produce comic and novels as both media only require one or two persons to create a fiction and can build audience from it. Not only that, Japanese have decades of experience adapting comics into animation which is enabled by stable production system. Without a stable system, it's not easy to produce animation from get go.

1. Directors and Writers: Everything falls apart if they're inexperienced or mediocre. So a good planning is a must.

2. Animation Staffs: Who is going to handle the visuals? You can't just pick someone off the street to draw pretty pictures.

3. Financing and budget: Where and how much the money comes from? Can production make decent animated show with given budget?

4. Timing: When is it going to show? If it's a movie, then is it summer or winter? For TV, is it going to be prime time or late night?

Koreans are already experienced with animating, but their pre-production side and financing system are still unstable. I think that's why they settled for low budget preschool animation despite their skills.

As for Chinese side, I can see their potential to get talented artists due to their massive population size and financing, but the government control stunts the growth of creativity on their own right and underdeveloped direction (core) are acting as detriment. If the core fails, then everything falls apart.

Japanese figured out how to make their own brand of animation and they didn't actively seek out recognition for a long time until Westerners are gotten excited about it. Of course Japanese did sell animations to TV networks in Europe and Americas in 60's and 70's, but it was their niche animations solely catered to their homegrown fans that caught attention. Koreans and Chinese have to grow their homegrown audience before seeking recognition from abroad.

Ian K wrote:
As for Chinese animation, I would be remiss if I failed to point out Wolf Smoke Studio. These scrappy underdogs have succeeded in creating a distinct house style that, while clearly in the limited animation tradition, stands out with its use of heavy, pointy outlines. You can see it at work in the Batman of Shanghai shorts they made for D.C. They've seem to have struggled to land any big projects, but they have a short at Annecy, so hopefully that will attract some more attention!

Batman of Shanghai and other Wolf Smoke studio works remind me of tweets by former Anime director HIroyuki Kitakubo (Rouzin Z and 80's OVA) back few years ago. He didn't see problem with their animation skill, but their direction was not good.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Can't recall if it was Big Fish & Begonia, but when it (or another) movie's trailer first came out people were comparing it to Spirited Away and calling it a rip off despite it being very different.

"Complete ripoff of Spirited Away"?...
Oh, yes, I remember now--You're thinking of Pixar's Coco trailer! Wink
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
They are already competing.

What "looks and feels like anime" supposed to mean?

Because I might wonder whether any of these "feels like anime":

- Hyouge Mono
- Only Yesterday
- Evangelion
- K-On!
- Kingdom
- Space Brothers

So even people working in the US distributors of animation have some very stereotypical views of Japan's animation, which is like 2/3 of the world's.

I guess "feels like anime" means an animation that features complexity in art, direction and characterization. Unlike all US animation for instance but applies to all the stuff I listed above.

Now, it's clear to me that China will overtake Japan's animation output soon. Today they are making mostly kids CG movies but Japan's animation output was similar in the 1960's and 1970's, with mostly simple kids' shows and movies. Things evolved quite a lot over the past 50 years of anime.

Soon China will be making more comics than Japan and given their massive population and their lack of Western bias against comics. Eventually many of these comics will get animated adaptations.

One good example of a Chinese animation: Fox Spirit Matchmaker, I was reading the beginning of the Mauha and it looked like pretty entertanining.

But it will take decades for their comics and animation to reach the level of sophistication attained in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4