• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo Schedule Lists Screening Trailer at 'FLCL 2 & 3 Panel' on July 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Has ever a less necessary anime sequel existed?

No and to be honest with you I hope something goes wrong in production and this never makes it to TV. That might not be the nicest sentiment to have but it's real.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
My single biggest hope with this series is they don't have Naota turn out to have ended up like Amarao. That'd be such a massive case of completely missing the point of the original show that I could completely see them doing it and I'll be instantly done with the revival if they pull that.

Also, is there any chance at all the first episode back doesn't have a new manga sequence? Absolutely positive they're going to, pretty much obligation.
Valjean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

Obviously, AS could have more creative control than the public is aware, but based on what they've actually said, this is I.G.'s project, and Adult Swim is mostly just along for the ride with pocketbooks open.

I hope that's the case.

Quote:
Besides, odd names aren't exactly uncommon in anime. There are plenty of shows out there that took fairly common names and just swapped out a letter or two in an effort to make it sound more unique and interesting, for better or worse.

I really hope that's the case.

StarchildStorm wrote:
My single biggest hope with this series is they don't have Naota turn out to have ended up like Amarao. That'd be such a massive case of completely missing the point of the original show that I could completely see them doing it and I'll be instantly done with the revival if they pull that.

You know how people always say that even if the sequel/reboot sucks, you'll always have the original? This would be one of those rare cases where a sequel might actually ruin our enjoyment of the original.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well, at the very least, we could get some good music by The Pillows out of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Sadly, that's what the new FLCL is. It's "Americanime"... And therefore, nothing good can come of it.

If they would take a step back and let the original creators do their thing (a la Big O Season 2) there's a chance it could be decent, but not only is it a different creative staff in Japan, I get the impression that Adult Swim is actually co-writing the new episodes... which, as you note, can't be good.

Well, I did really enjoy Space Dandy. I'll be entering this one with an open mind too.

captainbanana wrote:

No and to be honest with you I hope something goes wrong in production and this never makes it to TV. That might not be the nicest sentiment to have but it's real.

Well, I guess there isn't much control you can have over your thought processes unfiltered through normal society, but I never understood why someone would want something to fail if it isn't inherently harmful, illegal, or threatening, considering there are people like me who are genuinely looking forward to it. Now that I know they'll show the trailers at 3 PM on July 2nd, unless there's something I'm anticipating even more, I'll be making my way over to go view it.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:

You know how people always say that even if the sequel/reboot sucks, you'll always have the original? This would be one of those rare cases where a sequel might actually ruin our enjoyment of the original.

Nah, imo if it were that horrible it'd make the original look even more stellar. Idk how it'd reduce something that's already made an impact and is so well loved.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Valjean wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Valjean wrote:
I don't want a FLCL that feels American.

Sadly, that's what the new FLCL is. It's "Americanime"... And therefore, nothing good can come of it.

If they would take a step back and let the original creators do their thing (a la Big O Season 2) there's a chance it could be decent, but not only is it a different creative staff in Japan, I get the impression that Adult Swim is actually co-writing the new episodes... which, as you note, can't be good.

I would argue that letting creators do their thing in Big O season 2 was not necessarily a good thing, and I love Big O (that finale though, yeesh).

Either way though, I'm pretty sure AS has already said their producing role is basically just a financier role and everything related to writing/plot/etc is strictly on Japan's side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2