• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even sure why Madman's bothering to release Valkyrie Drive in Australia. "Hey, here's a giant ad for a game that our government banned so you can't play it."

Yes, somehow the game got banned and the anime got an R18+ rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
When i see a review for a series like this, it's interesting to think about what "ecchi" series DO work (at least for me). I tend to avoid shows like this, but i unironically enjoyed Monster Musume and Keijo!!!; maybe what i need is the feeling that the characters actually like each other, and making the series feel fun? Hearing about the "non-consensual" scenes is definitely a deal breaker for me.

The cover art for the disc is an eye-catcher for sure; it implies a touching romance with fancy wedding dresses, for crying out loud! Sounds like that's not quite what the show was going for.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
I never noticed any of the issues raised here with Valkyrie Drive, I've watched it twice (and more when / if it releases in the UK) and think it's one of the top tier ecchi shows, nearly every element gelled for me and I was almost completely satisfied on all angles by the time it ended.

Oh, it's a top-tier ecchi show if all you consider is the ecchi part. Again, the problem is nearly everything else it does. (I will also concede that the politicking and weaponization programs were a little interesting, but they didn't do enough with those.)

On any front other than fan service the series just pales in comparison to other fan service-intensive stories like Qwaser or (the bulk of) Queen's Blade or more purely harem fare like High School DxD, all of which have much more engaging characters and stories. Heck, I'd even put Testament of Sister New Devil above it on those points even though VD distinctly outshines it visually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Oh, it's a top-tier ecchi show if all you consider is the ecchi part. Again, the problem is nearly everything else it does. (I will also concede that the politicking and weaponization programs were a little interesting, but they didn't do enough with those.)

On any front other than fan service the series just pales in comparison to other fan service-intensive stories like Qwaser or (the bulk of) Queen's Blade or more purely harem fare like High School DxD, all of which have much more engaging characters and stories. Heck, I'd even put Testament of Sister New Devil above it on those points even though VD distinctly outshines it visually.

DxD and Testament aren't yuri, though. So, if you want a yuri ecchi show rather than any kind of ecchi, those don't work.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
@DanQ Does Heavy Object get less exposition heavy past the first arc because I really liked Railgun and I like some parts of Index.

Exposition about world's geopolitical situation – depends on episode, but there si alway some degree of introduction to political state of things.
and technical/geeky stuff – i'm afraid it even more geeky in later episodes - Quenthur and Hevia usually encounter unknow Object, and must get some really geeky idea about how to defeat it. (Some methods includes disruption of enemy's hull integrity via thermal expansion and so on Anime smile). Personally, appreciate this nerdy approach to "mecha" genre, and point of view of two foot soldiers instead pilot makes it more interesting, but depends on your tastes. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
definitely the best thing about this show is the shot in like the first episode where it's just the blonde one shouting in front of a speedline background and a single gently jiggling tiddy in the foreground.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
i saw three episodes of valkyrie drive
i mean, it is what it is, but some of the weapons & fights had promise. i also really like some of the character designs.
also mirei's moe gap was so cute. i love how shy she'd get.

also the ending song is great
SUPER HYPER ULTRA MIRACLE ROMANTICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!

(some of the fanservice confused me. like pink girl (best girl)'s top apparently being so lousy it rarely covers her tits, and the leather girl of lady lady's pants not covering her butt? also i felt super sorry for the other lady lady girl because her boobs are N size. N size. damn. I pray for these girl's backs)

CatSword wrote:
I'm not even sure why Madman's bothering to release Valkyrie Drive in Australia. "Hey, here's a giant ad for a game that our government banned so you can't play it."

Yes, somehow the game got banned and the anime got an R18+ rating.

because ecchi sells well in australia

TrailOfDead wrote:
definitely the best thing about this show is the shot in like the first episode where it's just the blonde one shouting in front of a speedline background and a single gently jiggling tiddy in the foreground.

I like the bit where virgin-chan is in the stadium after having her shirt popped open and a convenient censorship lens flare is covering her chest.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Ah! Valkyrie Drive. Satisfied my needs. Mirei and Kasumi are best girls.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I don’t consider just the ecchi part and I never do. If you take that all away those scenes and just leave something basic for the transformations then you have a good action mini series has a few minor niggles. The ecchi elements just elevate it further which is what they should do.

I’d also argue that those titles you mentioned had more time to develop characters so is perhaps a bit unfair to compare. A show like DxD is based on a long running LN (likewise Testament), QB was set as a two parter whereas VD is just 12 episodes. If it had the same amount of episodes then I think those who didn’t get enough development would be able to but without that it still left me satisfied. If you take Koneko or Kiba in DxD S1 they were rather middling, it wasn’t until later seasons where we got substantial development for them. VD didn’t have this luxury but still managed interesting, layered characters for the main cast as it got me to care for them.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
^
Fair enough on the not-the-same-episode-number point, but I'd maintain my comparative statement even if you only compared the first 12 episodes of each of the other series I mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The one flaw I thought held Valkyrie Drive back a little was that the background of some of the side characters weren't fully developed. Aside from that, the blossoming romance between Mamori and Mirei throughout the show was a magnificent sight. Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Tomchic420 wrote:
Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid seems like the type of anime only guys and lesbians would like.

you shouldnt be surprised by that. it was done by the same people that did queens blade which more or less had all men as either scum or absolute bastards like count vance. the exception was cattleya's son rana who was more or less otaku bait for straight shotacon and mom/son junkies. other than that, that series was also more or less a massive yuri festa though not to the extent as valkyrie drive.

Quote:
All the anime boobs in the world can't save a story this weak.

you cant be surprised by that at the slightest. most hardcore ecchi/fanservice type series like these have a main bread and butter which is a limited effort into the storyline and more on the fanservice. its been that way for a long while since the days of other popular ecchi series like ikkitousen , senran kaguya , IS & kyokai senjou no horizon.

not every fanservice series can be in the same league as strike witches, to love ru , shinmai mao no testament and especially highschool dxd, (which have become the new standard for fanservice type series) let alone follow their pattern after all. at least this series isnt an abomination like knights of lamunes which is saying a lot on how far the genre have come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
this show's made by ARMS... they used to make hentai, what did you expect?!?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I figure this show is primarily there for the same reason QB was. To get you to buy the figures lol. Get ya hooked and then get ya buying the 5000 figures they put out for the show. As Mel Brooks said Merchandising! Merchandising! *looks over at his 8 QB figures*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2