• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Industry Member Discusses Production Committee System

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="peno"]
bigivel wrote:

While the others may do that, OLM still does not belong there. Correct me if I am wrong, but they only have two anime series currently, Pokémon Sun & Moon and Yo-Kai Watch.

Vanguard G Next too, iirc. Its something I think that's something not many people know as they had a studio swap which is why Next is the best looking out of any of the shows.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Thanks for that. And looking at the list of their works, I also see all Future Card Buddyfight series, including the current one, though on that one, it seems, they are cooperating with XEBEC. Still, interesting for me, since I wasn't aware of that, or probably didn't realise it.
Davonepresley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for that. And looking at the list of their works, I also see all Future Card Buddyfight series, including the current one, though on that one, it seems, they are cooperating with XEBEC. Still, interesting for me, since I wasn't aware of that, or probably didn't realise it.

They're also producing Tomica Hyper Rescue Drive Head Kidō Kyūkyū Keisatsu, along with 3 different studios; XEBEC, Asread, and A.C.G.T (Although OLM's role seems to exclusively be to the CGI production)

Oh,and Beyblade Burst is handled by OLM.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
bigivel wrote:

You have a significant number of studios already doing that. You have Toei Animation, TMS Entertainment, Studio Pierrot, Sunrise, OLM, Shin-Ei Animation, ...

While the others may do that, OLM still does not belong there. Correct me if I am wrong, but they only have two anime series currently, Pokémon Sun & Moon and Yo-Kai Watch. And both of them are still financed by committee of the game publisher (Pokémon Company and LEVEL-5 respectively), Manga Publisher (Shogakukan in both cases) as well as TV broadcaster (TV Tokyo in both cases), with OLM only handling the animation production. So, I am afraid OLM does not belong on your list, unless I missed something.

I know of at least one title where they have a partnership with the TV network and advertisement managing company - > Cardfight vanguard G next

About series they are currently doing way more than 2 series. They are:
1- pokemon
2- youkai watch
3- Beyblade burst God
4- Atom the beginning(co-production with production IG and Signal MD)
5- tomica hyper rescue drive head
6- The snack world
7- Future card buddyfight
8- Puripuri chi-chan(half episode length)
9- 100% pascal sensei(half episode length)
10- Kamisama Miranai
11- Hana Kappa
12- Cardfight vanguard G Next
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Problem is you can only self produce everything is you've got the means to, which means you need a string of successes. Kyoani had to dominate the market with hit after hit after hit.

Also I've glad some people are defending Production Committees. While an imperfect system, we would never have anime taking off in Japan, nor the world, if they had not formed in order to get things done. Nice to see a little defense.

I think anime's popularity took off before the production committee system was all that prevalent, frankly. Or was at least much more reasonable. Cowboy Bebop was just Sunrise and Bandai, for example.
Also, outside of the KyoAni example, if you are a big company with the ability to navigate multiple income streams, you don't need every show to be a massive success in every area, you just need to be able to monetize as much as possible internally, like CyGames plans to do. Yeah, still difficult, but not as impossible as people seem to think, in my opinion.

bigivel wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I expect to see more companies, at least the ones that are financially capable of doing so, start to follow the CyGames model of trying to self-produce everything internally. They still technically have a production committee, but in exchange for taking a significantly higher amount of the risk, they are able to maintain much greater control over their projects creatively and financially. Most studios aren't capable of handling all of the production tasks that are required in order to do that, but many seem to be intentionally moving in that direction. KyoAni, Production IG, and Bones being three of the prominent ones.

You have a significant number of studios already doing that. You have Toei Animation, TMS Entertainment, Studio Pierrot, Sunrise, OLM, Shin-Ei Animation, ...
Most of them are the Big size Animation studios of the industry! The ones you're talking about are the Middle size Animation studios, and while normally they keep the practices of the small size animation studios, they also try new things from time to time, things that possible will improve their situation. Examples( Parternships, Production I.G x Madhouse for Ace of Diamond. A-1 Pictures x Satelight/Bridge for Fairy Tail. Satelight x 4 to 5 other studios(included Madhouse) for Hellsing Ultimate).

That's not quite the level of self-production I'm talking about. All of those studios still utilize a production committee to get everything done in some way, if I'm reading these credits right. And still do a lot of contractual work outside of their own projects. As many of the comments in this thread have sort of expressed.
CyGames has stated they are more intent on animating, producing, releasing, etc everything by themselves, without the need for any other companies involved. Other than a broadcaster and international publishers, I suppose.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
CyGames has stated they are more intent on animating, producing, releasing, etc everything by themselves, without the need for any other companies involved. Other than a broadcaster and international publishers, I suppose.

Perhaps. But the Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis series has another deep-pocketed investor, NBCUniversalEntertainment, a subsidiary of the giant American media company Comcast. cygames certainly has a lot of money, but so does Comcast. MAPPA's work on the series suggests they had a pretty big budget to spend.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Perhaps. But the Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis series has another deep-pocketed investor, NBCUniversalEntertainment, a subsidiary of the giant American media company Comcast. cygames certainly has a lot of money, but so does Comcast. MAPPA's work on the series suggests they had a pretty big budget to spend.

The only company credited for the Rage of Bahamut anime series is Cygames. They're the only one who financially invested in those series, not MAPPA nor NBC Universal Japan (which does operate differently than the US counterpart).
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
Problem is you can only self produce everything is you've got the means to, which means you need a string of successes. Kyoani had to dominate the market with hit after hit after hit.

Also I've glad some people are defending Production Committees. While an imperfect system, we would never have anime taking off in Japan, nor the world, if they had not formed in order to get things done. Nice to see a little defense.

I think anime's popularity took off before the production committee system was all that prevalent, frankly. Or was at least much more reasonable. Cowboy Bebop was just Sunrise and Bandai, for example.
Also, outside of the KyoAni example, if you are a big company with the ability to navigate multiple income streams, you don't need every show to be a massive success in every area, you just need to be able to monetize as much as possible internally, like CyGames plans to do. Yeah, still difficult, but not as impossible as people seem to think, in my opinion.

bigivel wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I expect to see more companies, at least the ones that are financially capable of doing so, start to follow the CyGames model of trying to self-produce everything internally. They still technically have a production committee, but in exchange for taking a significantly higher amount of the risk, they are able to maintain much greater control over their projects creatively and financially. Most studios aren't capable of handling all of the production tasks that are required in order to do that, but many seem to be intentionally moving in that direction. KyoAni, Production IG, and Bones being three of the prominent ones.

Most of them are the Big size Animation studios of the industry! The ones you're talking about are the Middle size Animation studios, and while normally they keep the practices of the small size animation studios, they also try new things from time to time, things that possible will improve their situation. Examples( Parternships, Production I.G x Madhouse for Ace of Diamond. A-1 Pictures x Satelight/Bridge for Fairy Tail. Satelight x 4 to 5 other studios(included Madhouse) for Hellsing Ultimate).

That's not quite the level of self-production I'm talking about. All of those studios still utilize a production committee to get everything done in some way, if I'm reading these credits right. And still do a lot of contractual work outside of their own projects. As many of the comments in this thread have sort of expressed.

It depends what studios you're talking about and in the projects. For example Toei Animation One Piece is only Toei and Fuji TV. And the international licensing is also made by Toei Animation (being in the top ranking of top licensors). Majority of Toei series are like that(of the current 6 series all are in these models). Still, Toei made Marvel Disk Wars Avengers, that was totally a contracted work. Basically a company doesn't have to just do one thing or the other, why limit your options, but more anime studios should focus mainly on partnerships or make part of the production committee.

Isn't cygames just an investor/producer and not an anime production? What anime did they made? Shingeki no Bahamut? Isn't that Mappa!?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I've been following these kind of reports for awhile and feel that the entry level animators are getting screwed over and over, will continue to be taken advantage of until the day comes that they finally snap and quit.

Look yes the production committee takes a big risk but if the people on the bottom don't have the means to survive much less a incentive to work harder why should they stick with a dead end job?

Unfortunately, that likely won't change any time soon. That model exists in any industry with way more qualified people trying to get in than there are positions available. It causes job applicants to compete with each other to get whatever scraps the established companies will throw their way, and said established companies can treat the entry-level people like dirt because the applicants will take it if it means they get a chance to move up. These are desperate people looking for any chance they can get even if it means they're losing more money on their job than they're earning.

The only way I can see the entry-level anime animators getting their revenge is if groups of them band together and form their own anime studios, but they won't be able to pay for it unless it's spearheaded by someone with a lot of money, a lot of passion, and a willingness and ability to teach the rookies how to survive against their bigger competitors. There are a few studios in the west that have pulled it off and became stable businesses on their own, like Spümco, Moonbot, and Frederator, but they were all either founded by or received tremendous help from a veteran animator.

Dfens wrote:
I work in a small industry that if you keep cutting our pay down and reaping all the benefits without caring about your employees that do the specialized hard to find labor that earns you all that profit, their always comes a breaking point.

One thing I've noticed is that small industries, by their nature, have relatively few people working in them, and as a result, there is more of an interpersonal atmosphere to these workplaces. If it's even smaller, there's a kind of sticking-together feel between companies as their focus is on survival. Together, it means the business heads are not some far off, distant people who only care about deepening their pockets, but are just as passionate about what they're doing as the people who work for them, and any business head that DOES think only in terms of money either doesn't last long or will run the entire industry into the ground. (Granted, that can also happen to large companies, like with Marvel Comics.)

They also have a pretty intimate relationship with their fans, if the industry has a fanbase. I remember a PR guy at a convention made some potshots at his company's competitors; he suddenly resigned a few months later.

relyat08 wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:

Another way to do it is to receive backing from a larger company, though I guess in Japan, the production committees WOULD, in a sense, be that larger company.

What I had in mind is the US TV system (and the same goes for most western countries), in which even small startups can get going if they pitch something to a major network (or even a minor one) and they say yes. Networks are always looking for the next big hit, and if they feel they have something with the potential, they'll throw a lot of money in the direction of whoever pitched the idea. I'm no fan of Family Guy (and it seems neither is the rest of this site's users), but there is no way Seth MacFarlane could've gotten his show off the ground had FOX not footed the entire bill, for example, and it's not the sort of show I think any production committee would've approved of, at least not without drastically changing its nature.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
There's nothing stopping an anime studio from striking out on their own with original titles, and some do just that, but that's only for a handful or two of titles out of the nearly 200 shows a year (late night, mainstream and children's). Even with original titles, most have been produced with a committee because most studios don't have tens of millions $ lying around. The Under The God producers estimated a 24 ep UTG series at the quality they wanted would cost $7.5 million (US dollars). And personally, considering the man hours, I think that wouldn't be much of a pay raise to the animators.

The unfortunate reality is that you need money to make money and you need even more money to absorb losses while to you try to make money.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

"Publishers"? I'm certain that you didn't meant to say Publisher, but Producers, right?

By Publisher you're talking of the original right-holder of the product right(manga/novel publisher, right?)

Yes, im talking about Publishers. They are the ones that are putting all this late night anime Production Committees together to make this manga/LN promotion anime.
They have anime departments that have a big annual budget where their only job is to produce anime to promote the Publishers manga and LNs.

Publishers are not the ones been approached to let others use their products.

They are the ones that approach DVD's/BD's makers and merchandise makers so that don't have to spend too much money in the anime. They are important partners to keep the costs down.
Publishers are also the ones that will have the last word on chose the studios that will make the anime.
And they are the ones that take the most risk of the anime be a flop. But even if they lose money with the anime, is still cheaper than daytime TV publicity.
This system is a very intelligent way of promotion without spending too much money, and if the anime is a success and sell many DVD's/BD's and merchandise, they will also made money from it. Is a win/win situation for the Publishers.

Original anime is different because is a studio product.
Also mainstream is different because TV channels are involved.
But Late Night anime adaptations of manga and LN are anime made for Publishers.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
bigivel wrote:

"Publishers"? I'm certain that you didn't meant to say Publisher, but Producers, right?

By Publisher you're talking of the original right-holder of the product right(manga/novel publisher, right?)

Yes, im talking about Publishers. They are the ones that are putting all this late night anime Production Committees together to make this manga/LN promotion anime.
They have anime departments that have a big annual budget where their only job is to produce anime to promote the Publishers manga and LNs.

Publishers are not the ones been approached to let others use their products.

They are the ones that approach DVD's/BD's makers and merchandise makers so that don't have to spend too much money in the anime. They are important partners to keep the costs down.
Publishers are also the ones that will have the last word on chose the studios that will make the anime.
And they are the ones that take the most risk of the anime be a flop. But even if they lose money with the anime, is still cheaper than daytime TV publicity.
This system is a very intelligent way of promotion without spending too much money, and if the anime is a success and sell many DVD's/BD's and merchandise, they will also made money from it. Is a win/win situation for the Publishers.

Original anime is different because is a studio product.
Also mainstream is different because TV channels are involved.
But Late Night anime adaptations of manga and LN are anime made for Publishers.

From where did it came this strong conviction about the Publishers? Last time I heard people that look at the production committee, publishers most time aren't even in the committee and when in the committte they aren't even the biggest investors.

I hope you're not confusing the gain of increasing the source material, to power(monetary and decision making) in the production Committee.

Yep, publishers have anime departments, but that is to manage their properties mainly and not much to handle them.
Remember that they have the rights of the work, even if they have nothing to do with the anime they still receive royalties for the revenue the Production Committee made, and so they need to at least oversee if the money is alright. They also has rightholders/licensors, can remove their license to adapt the series wherever they want(teoritically) and so they have the "last word power".

About who goes looking for who. It really depends. You have people in both directions, people looking for series and people looking for producers.
About original series. Original series don't start only from animation studios. Other producers normally also come with their original concepts, create a production Committee and then contract a animation studio.
In any kind of business is normal to find this 2 direction way of doing business. A player doesn't only wait for food, or doesn't goes hunting.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

From where did it came this strong conviction about the Publishers? Last time I heard people that look at the production committee, publishers most time aren't even in the committee and when in the committte they aren't even the biggest investors.

You can find information right were in ANN
From the article
The Anime Economy - Part 1: Let's Make An Anime!
by Justin Sevakis, Mar 5th 2012
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

Quote:
Who decides to make a show? Usually it's a producer at a company that already has a production office. Most of the bigger manga publishers have one of these, as do several specialty companies like Bandai Visual or Media Factory. And usually the idea isn't necessarily to make a great, stand-alone TV series, it's more about building a marketing opportunity.

And the ways a producer can build opportunities like this can be myriad. The vast majority of anime is not an original story, but is based off of another art form: manga, PC games, or light novels. With an anime on TV, even in a late-night time slot, the increased visibility can really give sales of those original works a boost.

So let's say a manga publisher is trying to get their hottest series animated. Maybe they can get a DVD publisher to chip in. Maybe a video game company could throw in a few bucks, or an ad agency who could sell product placement in the show, or a record label that wants to promote a new artist in the opening and ending. After a lot of meetings and a whole lot of Powerpoint presentations, eventually four or five companies sign up as investors, and the production is a go. This is actually very similar to how independent films get made.

And so every couple of weeks, the Production Committee, featuring representatives of each company, gets together and reports on how things are going. They discuss release plans, audience, important plot points, and where the story might deviate from the original. They discuss the marketing, plans for release overseas, and every other detail you could possibly imagine.

There are other sources but ANN is the best, i think. In the case of manga/LN late night anime promotions the Producer is the Publisher and DVD companies and other merchandise companies are partners of the publisher in helping make the anime.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
bigivel wrote:

You can find information right were in ANN
From the article
The Anime Economy - Part 1: Let's Make An Anime!
by Justin Sevakis, Mar 5th 2012
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-05

Quote:
Who decides to make a show? Usually it's a producer at a company that already has a production office. Most of the bigger manga publishers have one of these, as do several specialty companies like Bandai Visual or Media Factory. And usually the idea isn't necessarily to make a great, stand-alone TV series, it's more about building a marketing opportunity.

And the ways a producer can build opportunities like this can be myriad. The vast majority of anime is not an original story, but is based off of another art form: manga, PC games, or light novels. With an anime on TV, even in a late-night time slot, the increased visibility can really give sales of those original works a boost.

So let's say a manga publisher is trying to get their hottest series animated. Maybe they can get a DVD publisher to chip in. Maybe a video game company could throw in a few bucks, or an ad agency who could sell product placement in the show, or a record label that wants to promote a new artist in the opening and ending. After a lot of meetings and a whole lot of Powerpoint presentations, eventually four or five companies sign up as investors, and the production is a go. This is actually very similar to how independent films get made.

And so every couple of weeks, the Production Committee, featuring representatives of each company, gets together and reports on how things are going. They discuss release plans, audience, important plot points, and where the story might deviate from the original. They discuss the marketing, plans for release overseas, and every other detail you could possibly imagine.

There are other sources but ANN is the best, i think. In the case of manga/LN late night anime promotions the Producer is the Publisher.

What you're talking of is just a possible example and the fact of the visibility boost of the source. Like I said things go both ways. The publisher looks for people to adapt their works, but others also look for titles for them to support. Is not a one way street.
The extra visibility boom is a fact that happens, and is not really directly related with the involvement of the publisher. In fact the publisher not getting involvement and still reap the advantages of the product(both the royalties and the increase sales of the source) is a better deal.

Take the example of One Piece, is the best sold manga and one of the franchises with better merchandise sales in the anime field. Shueisha/Weekly Shonen Jump, not only receives royalties from anything done related to the anime, but it also receives increased volume sales, and One Piece already had 3 sales booms in its lifetime: Start of the anime, an increase of around 700k copies more per volume, Alabasta-Skypiea around 1M copies more per volume, and Marineford-FishmenIsland with around 1.5M copies more per volume.
Do you know what is the involvement of Shueisha/Weekly Shonen Jump in the production of the anime and everything related to that? Basically zero. They just manage One Piece copyright as the copyright holders, but they didn't put any money nor have "official" decision role into it.

In the end is just a business decision, and has to do with the demand suplly. Does the series is highly popular and is being looked by a lot of producers? Is the series not that popular and the publisher is hoping to get an increase of sales with the extra visibility? There is many factors that make one or the other way to happen.

Saying that all of the night anime works like that example seems a huge exageration of how things work. And like I said before in a previous post. The publisher or isn't involved financially nor in production, and doesn't "safe" the Production Committee loses(Why would the publisher in this case safe them? They are different companies, and the publisher is getting more money for the extra visibility and royalties, what is the reason for spending money in the committee?) or the publisher is part of the production Committee and the loss of the procution Committee is also a loss for the publisher.
There is no such thing as the Production Committee flopping and being saved by the publisher! Or the publisher isn't involved or it is and fails together with them.

When they say that 9 in 10 series go in the red for the production committee, if we believe them, it means that by the end of the endeavor they came with less money and that includes every people involved(Though this is a very narrow way to look at things, because producers profit is not the same, even inside the same production committee, and so you can have ones that are in the red and others that are in the green).
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

What you're talking of is just a possible example and the fact of the visibility boost of the source. Like I said things go both ways. The publisher looks for people to adapt their works, but others also look for titles for them to support. Is not a one way street.
The extra visibility boom is a fact that happens, and is not really directly related with the involvement of the publisher. In fact the publisher not getting involvement and still reap the advantages of the product(both the royalties and the increase sales of the source) is a better deal.

Take the example of One Piece, is the best sold manga and one of the franchises with better merchandise sales in the anime field. Shueisha/Weekly Shonen Jump, not only receives royalties from anything done related to the anime, but it also receives increased volume sales, and One Piece already had 3 sales booms in its lifetime: Start of the anime, an increase of around 700k copies more per volume, Alabasta-Skypiea around 1M copies more per volume, and Marineford-FishmenIsland with around 1.5M copies more per volume.
Do you know what is the involvement of Shueisha/Weekly Shonen Jump in the production of the anime and everything related to that? Basically zero. They just manage One Piece copyright as the copyright holders, but they didn't put any money nor have "official" decision role into it.

In the end is just a business decision, and has to do with the demand suplly. Does the series is highly popular and is being looked by a lot of producers? Is the series not that popular and the publisher is hoping to get an increase of sales with the extra visibility? There is many factors that make one or the other way to happen.

Saying that all of the night anime works like that example seems a huge exageration of how things work. And like I said before in a previous post. The publisher or isn't involved financially nor in production, and doesn't "safe" the Production Committee loses(Why would the publisher in this case safe them? They are different companies, and the publisher is getting more money for the extra visibility and royalties, what is the reason for spending money in the committee?) or the publisher is part of the production Committee and the loss of the procution Committee is also a loss for the publisher.
There is no such thing as the Production Committee flopping and being saved by the publisher! Or the publisher isn't involved or it is and fails together with them.

When they say that 9 in 10 series go in the red for the production committee, if we believe them, it means that by the end of the endeavor they came with less money and that includes every people involved(Though this is a very narrow way to look at things, because producers profit is not the same, even inside the same production committee, and so you can have ones that are in the red and others that are in the green).

One Piece is a mainstream anime that is made for TV channel were is the Channel thal call the shots. Like a said before, daytime mainstream and original anime is different of late night anime promotions.
Im only talking about the anime made to promote LN and manga, and that is most of the anime in Late Night slots.

From the article:

Quote:
And usually the idea isn't necessarily to make a great, stand-alone TV series, it's more about building a marketing opportunity.

Let's face it. For publishers, anime is a commercial. A publicity investment. They would have to spend money in publicity anyway, so why don't use anime to promote the LN/manga. Also they will spend less money because they have partners. And if the anime is a big hit they will recoup the money and make more money to spend in more anime promotions.

This works for well for anime promotions and as you can see you have 9 of 10 anime in the red and still so many anime are made.
Why would anyone besides the Publishers made so many anime promotions of manga and light novels if most of them fail to sell enough DVDs and BDs and end in the red.
Most of that animes end with "read the rest on the manga or on the Light Novels" kind of ending and only have one or 2 cours.

Well that article of Justin explain how things work in Late night anime promotions so if you are not convinced by that, nothing i say will convince you Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3