• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Variety Show Discussion Pits Veteran Voice Actors Against Younger Counterparts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
How many years do you have to put in to become a veteran seiyu? Showtaro has been working in the industry for over 20 years, were there any actual newcomers on this panel?
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
How many years do you have to put in to become a veteran seiyu? Showtaro has been working in the industry for over 20 years, were there any actual newcomers on this panel?

Yamaya Yoshitaka, the poor guy, and I don't know whether Mikami Shiori and Yamaguchi Rikako still count as rookies or not... The others were Morikubo Showtarou and Nojima Kenji. (Obviously there was no way to get A liners like Sakurai Takahiro, Seki Tomokazu, Kamiya Hiroshi, Kobayashi Yuu, Kaji Yuuki, etc. in an easily predictable bloodbath like this.) But yeah, this is kind of ridiculous. This was a really unfair set-up, especially with small-name newcomers present - obviously the younger team wouldn't want to stand up for themselves against their venerated senpai.

On the other hand, this is Aru-aru Bansankai so that's the level of quality you're dealing with. Morikubo was probably right to note that the aim was to create (fake? who knows) drama to draw in viewers, which is probably also the reason for the cruel and, I think, untrue remarks from the veterans. (I mean if they were serious about the noted complaints they probably haven't been watching anything in the past 20 years.)

lol, and I just realized that this program was probably narrated by Nakai Kazuya. That must have been weird for him.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Article said "agreed that current voice actors tend to use the same voice."
For the Japanese social media users, this is the first time I have heard such a comment. I am more used to hearing it being applied to English dubs.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
This was a dumb idea to begin with.

It looks from that unhelpful photograph like there were women on these panels. I don't see them mentioned in the article or in the comments. Who were they? Did they participate?
ice_tea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Article said "agreed that current voice actors tend to use the same voice."
For the Japanese social media users, this is the first time I have heard such a comment. I am more used to hearing it being applied to English dubs.

It should have been that " current voice actresses tend to use the same voice."
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, no one lives forever, eventually the veterans will *have to* be replaced with younger people, no matter who is better. Most of the voice actors/actresses I'm a fan of are over 50, some are in their 70s or 80s.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
Yikes. Should not have done this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1