• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Godzilla Sequel's Synopsis Confirms Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell didn't they just do this Godzilla battle royale in the first movie? It's the main reason why people even watch Godzilla movies in the first place. Though knowing hollywood the fight will only last 12 minutes at most because they just have to give those over paid actors all the screen time that they can. Rolling Eyes
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, this has me really worried. I know the Japanese can handle multiple monsters, but Hollywood can't.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
That is nice. Will we get more than a cameo from our fave Monster Mashers? Will the filmmakers show them only from the back as in dullZilla 2014? We did eventually see The Big G's face etc, but the lame story and weak actors like Mr. Broken Bad Bryan really made the 2014 Film one of the worst!
NOGI48

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So basically its Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack aka Godzilla 3.
connysanada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Mothra's fairies, the Shobijin, will appear in this. Or any other future Godzilla movie with Mothra.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Why the hell didn't they just do this Godzilla battle royale in the first movie? It's the main reason why people even watch Godzilla movies in the first place. Though knowing hollywood the fight will only last 12 minutes at most because they just have to give those over paid actors all the screen time that they can. Rolling Eyes

Nothing wrong with a good solo Godzilla movie. The first one is still one of the best in the series.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... they should've just gone and add Mechagojira if this is the format they had it mind in the first place. I mean, after Gojira beating these kaijus, he's gonna fight mano-e-mano with Kong, right? Then maybe the next will be a crossover with Transformers. Good thinking, Hollywood.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sounds overcrowded, but if there's a giant battle royal, it should at least be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Because Warner didn't have their MonsterVerse(tm) yet, and the '14 movie was all about just Trying Not To Screw It Up Like Roland Emmerich Did. That was the entire goal in itself.
Now, one loopy Kong-doesn't-go-to-NY and a long-delayed Pacific Rim sequel later, it's all about contractually establishing how many monsters are now PART of Warner's House-Brand Crossover Universe...Er, their other one, not counting that Harry Potter thing.

And we wait to see whether they jam too many next-movie setups into the mix trying to set up the whole franchise in advance, and end up making an incoherent pig's-breakfast of it like Sony did with Amazing Spiderman 2.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

It's not the actors that limit screen time, CGI costs on the scale nessisary for these monster movie is obscenely high.

And they didn't do this for the first movie, because you gotta tease this stuff out. I'm actually surprised they're jumping to 'Godzilla, and everyone you care about' for movie number 2. Instead of teasing out Mothra and Ghidorah first.

I bet King Ghidorah won't be from space though...
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I had the same thought, it's like they throwing everything but the kitchen sink. At this point I wouldn't be surprised that the humans being so overwhelmed that they bring out Mechagodzilla at the end. I'd say they would save that for Godzilla 3, but that's likely the planned Godzilla vs King Kong.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I had the same thought, it's like they throwing everything but the kitchen sink. At this point I wouldn't be surprised that the humans being so overwhelmed that they bring out Mechagodzilla at the end. I'd say they would save that for Godzilla 3, but that's likely the planned Godzilla vs King Kong.

Actually I wouldn't be shocked if they teased out Mechagodzilla in GvKK. Leading into Godzilla 3.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

And they didn't do this for the first movie, because you gotta tease this stuff out. I'm actually surprised they're jumping to 'Godzilla, and everyone you care about' for movie number 2. Instead of teasing out Mothra and Ghidorah first.

They actually did that in Kong: Skull Island (apparently).

snake-eyes wrote:
That is nice. Will we get more than a cameo from our fave Monster Mashers? Will the filmmakers show them only from the back as in dullZilla 2014? We did eventually see The Big G's face etc, but the lame story and weak actors like Mr. Broken Bad Bryan really made the 2014 Film one of the worst!

No fanboys expecting the movies to be exactly like the Toho films for no reason made the 2014 film worst for them. Lol at Cranston being a "weak" actor.
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
connysanada wrote:
I wonder if Mothra's fairies, the Shobijin, will appear in this. Or any other future Godzilla movie with Mothra.

I hope they do and they make a really weird or random explanation for their existence too, since there isn't a "duh, science" explanation that could really work in their "monstervere" they are doing.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Um...wouldn't it have been better to keep this information a secret? It kinda ruins the element of surprise. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2