• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mobile Suit Gundam Films: The Best, The Worst, and What's Worth Watching

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Having just rewatched all of Seed on Crunchyroll, still don't know how people call it fast paced. I remember it being a slog as a kid, and rewatching it, it still is, it's totally glacial, the different little "arcs" in the series could've been accomplished in waaaaay less time and done a lot more with the characters and such, I still don't think it holds up too well. 0079's first 7-8 episodes are a bit slow, but still not to the degree Seed is, Zeta and ZZ go at decent paces, etc, really don't know how people see Seed as brisk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Bartholomew Kuma wrote:

Yeah good luck trying to convince people otherwise. Even people who liked Wing back then don't bother to defend it or elevate beyond "that show I watched as a kid" hence why it barely gets brought up as essentials of the franchise.

I didn't really grow up with Wing, bit too young at the time it aired, but seeing it for the first time a little while ago, it was meh, not bad though, I prefer it to Seed and 00 actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
1. IMO the SEED Destiny Special Edition movies are still a better alternative than the original TV series. The HD Remastered version of SEED Destiny does try to fix things. But if you're short on time, I'd recommend the Special Edition movies. For the original SEED series though, I think the HD Remastered version is definitely the best choice.

2. I'm on the fence with the Gundam Zeta movies. The movies lack the nuance the TV series had. But they had the positive outlook I was really hoping for from Zeta. I actually kinda cried seeing Kamille and Fa together in the last shot.

3. I've heard the Gundam AGE Memory of Eden compilations does a good job in substituting generations 2 and 3 of the TV series. I haven't watched it though, but this isn't the first time I heard about this.

4. I heard the Gundam 00 compilation movies are interesting to see alternative takes on the action scenes. Most prominently, spoiler[Gundam Dynames activating Trans Am.]

After Twilight Axis's announcement, I've been wishing to hear news about a Gundam F91 remake. It'd be awesome if Sunrise follows that up with a Crossbone Gundam adaptation.

If they do release compilation movies for Gundam IBO, I wonder if they'll give an alternative ending?

(By the way, I guess it's tradition to have a Gundam debate each time Lauren posts a new Gundam article.)

Very Happy
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
I mostly agree with this list; I would only move Gundam Wing's movie way lower and Awakening of the Trailblazer a tiny bit higher but that's about it. Turn A is one of the best gundam series that I've seen but it just does not work as compilation movies.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Quote:
It's time to face the facts: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing probably isn't as good as you remember.

Neither is War In The Pocket, Gundam 0079, Char's Counterattack, Zeta, & G Gundam but a portion of the fanbase will argue otherwise.

How does War in the Pocket fail to live up to its reputation? First watched it raw, then on fansubbed VHS, and finally in English on the Bandai DVD. At no point did I think it wasn't as good as I remembered it, unlike the Battle Angel OVAs*.

*(After reading the manga the OVAs just paled in comparison.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

How does War in the Pocket fail to live up to its reputation?

Don't think I said it didn't but it's one of a handful of Gundam properties I've seen I didn't come out liking and can't really reconcile what about it people liked.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Great article! Although it is kind of disappointing how few "true" Gundam films there are (as opposed to compilations) but I guess that's inevitable since the franchise only really took off thanks to compilations.

As for the prospect of an Iron-Blooded Orphans film, spoiler[I'm guessing it would HAVE to be a compilation, because given the way the series ended, there's absolutely no way they could do a sequel that didn't feel extremely forced.]

its possible the film might be more faithful to the manga. especially since it have a different ending than the whole kill em all approach in the tv series. HOWEVER, its more than likely that its a prequel where it took place during the events of the calamity war. that scenario is more likely than an adaptation movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana Wing was my first Gundam too. I immediately got over it and let´s just say that it aged quite a bit over time. Even Hollywood will probably leave it alone once that destined US Gundam film announcement graces the ANN news section.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
I never had a problem with G-Saviour, heck it's better than some of Fox, Warner Bros. and Sony's adaptations of comics or whatever Paramount is doing with Transformers.

If you subscribe to the theory that the "Dark History" portion of Gundam in between Universal Century and Turn A proceeds in the order the alternate reality shows were released - Universal Century - G - Wing - X - Seed - Age -Turn A - Reconguista (leaving off 00 and IBO because if even Super Robot Wars tosses 00 into an alternate reality well it's really difficult to reconcile and IBO has never been stated to be connected to anything unlike everything else) I like how the colony featured in G-Saviour looks more like a colony you'd see in Mobile Fighter G. This is just my own personal head canon though.

The article is great though. There's still a lot of Gundam I haven't watched yet. I got War in The Pocket on DVD a few days ago and am going to check out this weekend.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
I never had a problem with G-Saviour, heck it's better than some of Fox, Warner Bros. and Sony's adaptations of comics or whatever Paramount is doing with Transformers.

If you subscribe to the theory that the "Dark History" portion of Gundam in between Universal Century and Turn A proceeds in the order the alternate reality shows were released - Universal Century - G - Wing - X - Seed - Age -Turn A - Reconguista (leaving off 00 and IBO because if even Super Robot Wars tosses it into an alternate reality well it's really difficult to reconcile and IBO has never been stated to be connected to anything unlike everything else) I like how the colony featured in G-Saviour looks more like a colony you'd see in Mobile Fighter G. This is just my own personal head canon though.

The article is great though. There's still a lot of Gundam I haven't watched yet. I got War in The Pocket on DVD a few days ago and am going to check out this weekend.
To my knowledge, the Dark History is all-encompassing. It doesn't need to be stated that a timeline is connected to it, it just is. Turn A and Reconguista are the only two not part of the Dark History because they're post-Dark History. And everything is an alternate timeline in the Gundam metaverse so that argument doesn't really hold up in regards to 00. Well, let me rephrase, everything is an alternate reality except for the Universal Century because that is the base timeline and then everything piles on top of that one during the Dark History.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
00 is difficult because Sunrise claims everything happens after Universal Century with it being the first journey out there into space, and that's problematic because 00 follows our calendar year and it would have to happen before UC. Unless the calendar reverts back to 00, resembles our world and, well headaches all around.

I like the theory that Schenberg time travelled from Universal Century or at some point after UC to the past and altered it, creating a separate timeline. Like the new Star Trek movies. That way 00 can still happen after Universal Century and before, kinda.

Don't really think there is a right or wrong. You can take the mess that Turn A and later Sunrise created and make of it what you will. Or not. Sunrise is never going to lay out the details anyway.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
00 is difficult because Sunrise claims everything happens after Universal Century with it being the first journey out there into space, and that's problematic because 00 follows our calendar year and it would have to happen before UC. Unless the calendar reverts back to 00, resembles our world and, well headaches all around.

I like the theory that Schenberg time travelled from Universal Century to the past and altered it, creating a separate timeline. That way 00 can still happen after Universal Century and before, kinda.

Don't really think there is a right or wrong. You can take the mess that Turn A and later Sunrise created and make of it what you will. Or not. Sunrise is never going to lay out the details anyway.
But that's assuming that there is some sort of time shenanigans that connect all these timelines. The way I've always seen it is that there is no relation between them whatsoever. Each timeline rolls back to a time before humanity went into space and then the trajectory to get there is different each time and that results in each of the timelines. So in the case of 00 we never built colonies and move our population into them. We continued to fight amongst ourselves on Earth, ran out of fossil fuels and had to resort to solar power, and then we barely began constructing colonies when the story of 00 starts. Whereas with Universal Century the governments of Earth united very early and decided to look to space as where they should go.

It just makes more sense that none of them are related and saves you a lot of headaches.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really disagreeing, just that currently Sunrise says otherwise. That everything happens along one timeline (except for obvious stuff like Build Fighters and SD). Which makes my time travel theory about 00 wrong too, it's just the way I wrapped my head around it. But Sunrise also says that people believe whatever they want to believe. So I'm going to believe I'm not wrong. Lol!

Sometimes storyline headaches are fun and sometimes they are not. Well, actual headaches are never fun.
Very Happy
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
If you subscribe to the theory that the "Dark History" portion of Gundam in between Universal Century and Turn A proceeds in the order the alternate reality shows were released - Universal Century - G - Wing - X - Seed - Age -Turn A - Reconguista (leaving off 00 and IBO because if even Super Robot Wars tosses 00 into an alternate reality well it's really difficult to reconcile and IBO has never been stated to be connected to anything unlike everything else) I like how the colony featured in G-Saviour looks more like a colony you'd see in Mobile Fighter G. This is just my own personal head canon though.

You're a bit off there. Dark History (aka Turn-A's timeline) itself is an alternate reality. The series have never been considered officially connected. Turn-A is considered an alternate universe gundam, and therefore the entire dark history idea is only canon to Turn-A (and now G-Reco).

jr240483 wrote:
HOWEVER, its more than likely that its a prequel where it took place during the events of the calamity war. that scenario is more likely than an adaptation movie.

How do you figure that exactly? Every gundam series since Turn-A has gotten adapted into a movie. One series in there had a movie that was new content, and the tv series led directly into it and advertised it. There is no past history or evidence that IBO will get a movie with new content. There is a very strong history of tv series gundams getting adapted into movies.

SrkSano wrote:
I'm not really disagreeing, just that currently Sunrise says otherwise. That everything happens along one timeline

Have a source for that claim? Because I'm pretty sure they have never said that.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It's also worth noting that the Gundam 00 compilation films contain scenes which the writers couldn't get on the TV. Yeah, I mean censorship. One example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwG9Wqt25vY
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3