• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
This is not a knock on either manhua or manwha, or their animated counterparts, but they are clearly influenced heavily by anime and manga, much in a similar way a lot of the korean and chinese games are influenced by jrpgs.

A lot of the manhua is actually pretty good, but wuxia is just not that popular now, maybe if a lot of these shows came out around the time of things like dragon ball (Chinese influnced) , sailor moon, and especially Fushigi Yuugi, they probably would have been better received.

King's avatar just happens to follow a trend that is a. currently popular in anime, and b. like the author says is more universal so it has a broader appeal.

I personally don't think King's Avatar is even close to being one of the better shows that has come out of China, but I guess its the most polished and "accessible".

Also its kind of nonsensical not to include entries for manhua/manwha on here, when a. they are derived or based on manga/anime, and b. ANN is always quick to point out they cover non anime related things like gaming. Unless ANN is position itself as Japanese only.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
I'm not here to totally downplay quality of King's Avatar and it looks pretty good. Still, I don't see China as a trend-setter in terms of visual and story. If Japan comes out something novel due to their unique environment, I have a feeling that China will just copy it and put their own cultural twist.

Visually, it's interesting that character designs resemble BL designs due lankiness of character proportions. I was thinking, "did Uta no Prince/Shonen Hollywood jumped onto VMMORPG bandwagon?"

Joke aside, I'm not into video game genre animation and it seems like China is just catching up with whatever trends that Japanese have set. On that note, maybe China should look at media other than foreign cartoons for inspiration. Anime crators tried recreate what they watched from Holllywood films to animation format and they found their own voice.

As for sementics, I'm hoping a jargon that describes Chinese 2D animation in unique way. "Anime" is already established as Japanese 2D animation in consensus among westerners so I wonder what local Chinese call their homemade 2D animation though...
cutslo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

As for sementics, I'm hoping a jargon that describes Chinese 2D animation in unique way. "Anime" is already established as Japanese 2D animation in consensus among westerners so I wonder what local Chinese call their homemade 2D animation though...

As far as I know the term is "donghua".
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
cutslo wrote:
reanimator wrote:

As far as I know the term is "donghua".

Yup! Pronounced "Hung wha".
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Really hoping I can get some extra credit in Chinese class for this watching this Very Happy Only watched the pilot; I don't even find it that interesting but I'm enjoying having a legitimately pretty-looking Chinese animation to watch and the direction, visuals, and mood kept me going.

As someone who speaks no Japanese but some Chinese, I think Japanese voice-acting is far more pleasant-sounding, but Chinese feels more realistic (going off of this, Ice Fantasy, and Monkey King: Havoc in Heaven's Palace, anyway).
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Really hoping I can get some extra credit in Chinese class for this watching this Very Happy Only watched the pilot; I don't even find it that interesting but I'm enjoying having a legitimately pretty-looking Chinese animation to watch and the direction, visuals, and mood kept me going.

As someone who speaks no Japanese but some Chinese, I think Japanese voice-acting is far more pleasant-sounding, but Chinese feels more realistic (going off of this, Ice Fantasy, and Monkey King: Havoc in Heaven's Palace, anyway).

When you first start watching the Chinese stuff its takes a little while to get used, but once I got used to it actually has a really flowly feel to the language. Japanese is more of a sharp language ala some western language, its one when written on romanji I think westerners can pronounce a lot of the words, and thats probably why its more appealing. Chinese I think its a softer language, the words flow into each other, and its not really anywhere near as phonetic as Japanese. If I had to say a Western equivalent I would say French, because a lot things are not pronounced as they would appear.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
The King's Avatar is by no means a bad show, but I'd agree that it's rough around the edges. Part of this (for me) is because this show just doesn't seem to know how to distribute its time evenly. Like, from the setup in episode one, you can pretty much guess what the overall follow through of the main plot is going to be, but the main character himself, for all the talk of tactics and strategy, doesn't think to spoiler[build up his own team comprised of all the talented newbies] until the very last episode.

Instead, what we get is a very quick and unfortunately shallow look at just about every player and character involved, and for a cast that quickly balloons out of control, it gets a little tricky keeping main accounts, players, and their alt accounts separate from one another. Plus, this show seems to rely quite a bit on telling over showing, even by anime standards.

For example, we hear first that several of the "good guys" are being prevented from entering dungeons and leveling up because they're being hunted and PK'd constantly, but wouldn't it had been much more effective to actually see that first before the players relay that information to each other? It just feels like this show, despite its best efforts, is routinely hampered by the novel's original pacing (which is quite slow) or the show's budget, or both.

It's not a bad show by any means, but as it is now it feels a little directionless and slapdash; I hope the second season shows a greater sense of direction and polish.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
drifty1 wrote:
So, why doesn't it have a page on ANN? Is there some trouble with "purists"?

"Purism" has nothing to do with it, Chinese animation is not - and makes no attempt to represent itself as - anime. Notice that there are no pages for Tower of God, Samurai Jack or Avatar: The Last Airbender, either, all of which have far more in common, trope-wise, with the average anime series than The King's Avatar.

...athough unlike The King's Avatar, all of those franchises at least have Wikipedia pages.

Jedi Master Kirito wrote:
The author rather begs the question by calling it an 'anime'. Just because it is a good animation does not mean it has to be fit into the straight-jacket of 'anime' (which is always defined by reference to Japan).

Indeed, this very website provides that, "On Anime News Network, we define anime based on the origin of the animation. If it is primarily produced in Japan, it is anime. It should be clear, that by adhering to a definition that defines non-Japanese animation that mimic common anime styles as 'not anime,' Anime News Network does not endorse the notion that these 'anime-style' works are in any way inferior to animation produced in Japan."

CrownKlown wrote:

Also its kind of nonsensical not to include entries for manhua/manwha on here, when a. they are derived or based on manga/anime, and b. ANN is always quick to point out they cover non anime related things like gaming. Unless ANN is position itself as Japanese only.

Guys, there are exceptions (example 1) to every (example 2) rule (example 3 example 4 multiple examples on one page)
Kaeru89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy the article was written here, as I really enjoyed this series. The series is more serious than SAO or Log Horizon, feels like it is more for adults, what really suits me. I also always loved series where main character is overpowered, such as One Punch Man or Mahouka Koukou and in King's Avatar we definitely got that - the Lord Grim. My favourite character though is Shaotian Huang, who with his trash talk and cheeky feel (this one tooth omg) made me laugh so much.
It was a bit difficult at first to get used to Chinese, as it was my first non-Japanese anime, but the art and great characters plus story drawn me too much. I learn any language that I watch things in so I guess it is a good move start learning Chinese now slowly as well.
I will look forward to season 2 of this one definitely. I am hoping for some Blu-Ray release for UK.
Intranetusa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
drifty1 wrote:
So, why doesn't it have a page on ANN? Is there some trouble with "purists"?

"Purism" has nothing to do with it, Chinese animation is not - and makes no attempt to represent itself as - anime. Notice that there are no pages for Tower of God, Samurai Jack or Avatar: The Last Airbender, either, all of which have far more in common, trope-wise, with the average anime series than The King's Avatar.

...athough unlike The King's Avatar, all of those franchises at least have Wikipedia pages.

Except you have American cartoons (written and created by Americans) like RWBY that for some reason has a page here on animenewsnetwork. And RWBY uses a weird CGI style that doesn't even remotely resemble the vast majority anime in terms of style and animation. RWBY has far more in common with 1990s cartoonnetwork CGI shows like Reboot or Beast Wars than Japanese anime, yet it has a page here while KA doesn't.

anime#17739

It's really inconsistent why there isn't a page for King's Avatar but there is a page for RWBY.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Intranetusa wrote:

Except you have American cartoons (written and created by Americans) like RWBY that for some reason has a page here on animenewsnetwork. And RWBY uses a weird CGI style that doesn't even remotely resemble the vast majority anime in terms of style and animation. RWBY has far more in common with 1990s cartoonnetwork CGI shows like Reboot or Beast Wars than Japanese anime, yet it has a page here while KA doesn't.

anime#17739

It's really inconsistent why there isn't a page for King's Avatar but there is a page for RWBY.

I'd argue that RWBY has much more in common with the original Teen Titans show than Beast Wars; its design is lifted from TDA MMD models, and MMD has a strong Nico Nico Douga presence, and quite a lot of the humor is drawing from anime-esque tropes. I'm not saying that's why RWBY has a page, but at a guess I'd say it's just to have something to point to whenever Japanese-based RWBY news rears its head with dubs and marketing and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm gonna' guess that the simplest answer is the right one: whoever heads the Encyclopedia just hasn't had the time to make an entry for King's Avatar yet.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
^I didn't realize RWBY had a page. Maybe it has something to do with Crunchyroll's support of it?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^I didn't realize RWBY had a page. Maybe it has something to do with Crunchyroll's support of it?

Well it does have a manga adaptation and a Japanese dub
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This article is rather useless, even worse it makes someone who never watched this anime get intimidated, cause it implies there's some degree of difficulty to watch this, that you should read a guide first.
In fact it's a anime so simple to watch, as any other anime... To be honest even Log Horizon needed a guide more than King's Avatar, since in King's Avatar you at least had "Translator Notes" for those unfamiliar with gaming, in Log Horizon you had absolutely none. Why didn't you titled this like "China makes serious waves on the Anime Industry" or something?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that even with the translator notes, this series is still meant more for gamers than non-gamers. I mean, they tossed in terms like "aggro" into the translator notes, which is a common enough gaming term, but I wouldn't expect the average anime fan to know it. Log Horizon, to my memory, at least took the time to explain how its concepts, like the Guild Hall, actually functioned, rather than just assuming its audience knew how guilds in games work in general.

EDIT
: That goes double for aspects unique to King's Avatar, like using the game's built-in physics and collisions engine (something that is not included in every game) to manipulate mobs into position using techniques like "Delivery Gun". The show just slaps that explanation into a TN and calls it a day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3