• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rumiko Talkahashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

One thing more I disagree with Zac is about the love relationship/passion of Kyoko and Godai in Maison Ikkoku. Zac, you really need to reread the manga, especially the last volume with the chapter where Godai spends the night with Kyoko in her room and both open their hearts (& bodies) to each other. You can't get more passionated than that! Razz

Agreed. For the whole last volume they're a very solid and loving couple. I felt it ended perfectly. And those sex scenes...wow. I'd gotten used to Rumiko Takahashi refusing to even let her characters kiss, so those full on, nothing left to the imagination sex scenes were a shock! (In a good way haha)
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I think that a lot of the problems with the Ranma 1/2 anime series is just because the show, like a lot of anime based on long-running shounen manga, just had to rely on rich amounts of filler episodes to make sure the show didn't overtake the manga.

And above that, the show also relied on a repetitive "martial-arts-of-the-week" formula, more formulaic than even the manga at its worst. It's easier to just pick and choose what episodes you want to see with that show.

My favourite Takahashi series is indubitably Urusei Yatsura. I always keep finding myself reading the manga, or watching the anime every so often. My favorite character is Ryuunosuke Fujinami, the super manly girl, and I've always been sad that Takahashi has never really taken her character much further than her fighting with her obnoxious, abusive father.

On that note, I have to ask ANN: why did they leave Ryuunosuke out of the "best girl" survey?!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Spark That Bled wrote:
My favourite Takahashi series is indubitably Urusei Yatsura. I always keep finding myself reading the manga, or watching the anime every so often. My favorite character is Ryuunosuke Fujinami, the super manly girl, and I've always been sad that Takahashi has never really taken her character much further than her fighting with her obnoxious, abusive father.

Although Ranma 1/2 could officially be interpreted as the post-UY "Ryuunosuke: the Series" spinoff:
One cursed Chinese pool later, and Ryuu's confused rude-speaking tomboy-hood and stumbling two-fisted attempts to act "girly" is easily plot-explained, and the series (like, ahem, most of the later UY episodes Rolling Eyes ) focuses on the gags of the wacky dysfunctional father-son martial-arts relationship.
Although Genma is more sympathetically cowardly and pompous than the flat-out looney-detestable Fujinami, who seems to know what he's doing and is just plain abusive, but when we see the UY gags about Dad making "Son" do all the work, we see where Genma got most of his training strategy. The Takahashi daddy-issues are still there, but at least they're funny this time.

The later UY series had a platonic relationship with Shinobu, the long-suffering "Every-girl", as Ryuu's full-time best friend and girl-world consultant--And when you bring in Shinobu's temper and habit for throwing furniture....that explains a lot of Akane's "violent tempered" attempts to try and master cute-girl habits of cooking and sewing.
And the cute, lethal, amorously-obsessed Shampoo with an arsenal of ancient Chinese secrets?--C'mon. Nobody should have to explain that one. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This was a very interesting podcast to listen to, in that Takahashi was very popular around the time I was getting into anime and manga, but I somehow managed to completely avoid her entire body of work, instead gravitating towards the "prettier" CLAMP stuff.
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Although Ranma 1/2 could officially be interpreted as the post-UY "Ryuunosuke: the Series" spinoff:
One cursed Chinese pool later, and Ryuu's confused rude-speaking tomboy-hood and stumbling two-fisted attempts to act "girly" is easily plot-explained, and the series (like, ahem, most of the later UY episodes Rolling Eyes ) focuses on the gags of the wacky dysfunctional father-son martial-arts relationship.
Although Genma is more sympathetically cowardly and pompous than the flat-out looney-detestable Fujinami, who seems to know what he's doing and is just plain abusive, but when we see the UY gags about Dad making "Son" do all the work, we see where Genma got most of his training strategy. The Takahashi daddy-issues are still there, but at least they're funny this time.

The later UY series had a platonic relationship with Shinobu, the long-suffering "Every-girl", as Ryuu's full-time best friend and girl-world consultant--And when you bring in Shinobu's temper and habit for throwing furniture....that explains a lot of Akane's "violent tempered" attempts to try and master cute-girl habits of cooking and sewing.
And the cute, lethal, amorously-obsessed Shampoo with an arsenal of ancient Chinese secrets?--C'mon. Nobody should have to explain that one. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Well, first of all, I think Ryuunosuke wouldn't nearly have as bad a case of "foot-in-mouth" syndrome that Ranma has. Second, Ryuunosuke also has a lot more in common with Ukyou than Ranma; they both dress in boys' clothing (including the chest-wrapping cloth), they both lived as men for the longest time, they both get love interests who are crossdressing boys...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
Spark That Bled wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Well, first of all, I think Ryuunosuke wouldn't nearly have as bad a case of "foot-in-mouth" syndrome that Ranma has. Second, Ryuunosuke also has a lot more in common with Ukyou than Ranma; they both dress in boys' clothing (including the chest-wrapping cloth), they both lived as men for the longest time, they both get love interests who are crossdressing boys...

I's not always X=Y for equivalent characters, but the individual jokes crossed over--Nabiki, for ex., has both Ryoko Mendou's evil genius and Oyuki's mercenary instincts for business, while Kodachi has Ryoko's gothy insanity, and Kasumi has Oyuki's unflappable temperament.
So while Ukyou has Ryuu's joke of being "the cutest boy in class" (and Benten's role as the tough supportive girl-buddy), it's still hard not to see where the "Father and son are at it again" jokes came from in either series.

At least Ranma has some fighters' respect for his dad....occasionally, during the training. Never usually lasts very long, though.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
So "undying love" translates into actual English as "barely tolerate" ? Interesting.

I listened because of that phrase being used and was sorely disappointed. I'm not gonna harp on it but, come on, that was a little dishonest.
AniMatsuri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a more researched podcast about the prolific Rumiko Takahashi but you get what you pay for I guess. In this case stuff the hosts remember from 20 years ago or so for the most part without much fact checking.

Like a lot of manga authors, she had little to no control how her various series got animated. I seem to remember when asked what she thought of her stuff being animated it was words to the effect of as little as possible since she didn't have much control over it. Her one shot stories were actually more fleshed out than the manga that it came from. In UY the gang of 4 that tag along and worship Lum actually only showed up in 1 or 2 stories in the manga but were practically made main characters in the anime. They didn't even have names so the anime gave them names based on their looks, "Glasses(Megane) & etc." That's usually how you can tell if a character is exclusive to the anime is the name isn't very creative(Ranma was like that too). Also, Rumiko wasn't the biggest fan of the UY 2 movie "Beautiful Dreamer" probably for the reasons Zac said. It's interesting that the entire UY TV series was officially translated and put in print at one time but same never happened to the manga since Viz could never get decent sales out of it. AnimEigo which did the TV series was more motivated by the fact that Robert Woodhead is a big fan of the show and wasn't motivated by big profit and excepted getting a minimum order for a Laserdisc box set to pay for the rights and production.

Ranma 1/2 was probably the result of her editors asking for another long running comedy since UY was the only big hit she had up to that point. InuYasha may have been a response to Dragonball's gimmick of constantly having to look for those balls and wanting to do a more horror based story. The InuYasha/Bleach similarities in Rinne are obvious but i also think there's call backs to Maison Ikkoku where the main character is constantly poor. Rinne is broadcast on NHK the PBS of Japan, so ratings may not be as important to them which is why it's on its 3rd season now. It's also the 1st series from RT in awhile that Viz doesn't hold the anime license possibly because fan response wasn't as big for the manga.

As far as her art style, she has many assistants(all female) up to the point rumor has it she only draws the faces on them and everything else is done by the help.

ETA: Since the hosts couldn't come up with any manga/anime that looks influenced by Rumiko, let me suggest Nisekoi: False Love. If nothing else it ran a long time and stretched things out by introducing new characters everytime things got slow which is a trademark of just about all her long running manga.
Oldfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Man I'd wish they'd release Urusei Yatsura on Blu-Ray.

It is on Blu-Ray, you just will sell your soul for it all. I got all the 'Raw' versions from Japan at the beginning of June actually. Warner Brothers is the current distrubutor,

Between Amazon Japan and an International Seller on Amazon US I got all the OVAs, TV Episodes and the Movies. Key point of note, the Only You movie on Blu-Ray has 10 minutes missing from the film. That annoyed me enough that I went on a hunt and found a brand new unopened DVD of the AnimEigo Sub/Dub (It is dubbed and it's HORRIBLE sounding).

Also, if the movies aren't canon, funny how Only You references an episode from the TV show quite plainly. No to mention that The Final Chapter references a whole sequence of scenes that get into Lum and Ataru's relationship at the end - they're redrawn, but also from the TV show as well.

I can provide the links I used to get the Blu-Rays, but be warned, they're in short supply these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3