• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blak3 Nikos - reviews (spoiler warning)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Originally posted November 7th 2017

Hey guys, guess what? I can finally review Restaurant To Another World now. Even though clearly if I just waited on the week of September 18th, the review would've already been out and I wouldn't have it on my mind through the rest of October till now. But here's the thing, I usually get started on researching a specific anime for a future review on Sundays. An since I didn't know when the final episode of Restaurant To Another World was going to appear I had 2 options. I could either A. wait until Monday and see if episode 12 was the final episode or not or B. review The Tatami Galaxy (An anime that is already finish and I could review anytime I want.) I think you can already guess which option I picked in the end.

But I like said before, the wait is finally over. It's time see if I liked this anime or not. Let's find out.

"The Western Restaurant Nekoya (洋食のねこや Yōshoku no Nekoya) is a restaurant situated in a mundane corner of an undisclosed Tokyo shopping district which, despite its name, offers a lot of Japanese dishes in addition to Western ones. It opens during usual business hours and closed during holidays and weekends. But secretly it is open on Saturdays, as on this particular day it creates doorways to another world inhabited by elves, dragons, animal men and other fantastic creatures, who enter the restaurant and partake on its menu, with many of them becoming regular patrons." (Info by wiki)

This show in my honest opinion was just plain okay. It wasn't good nor was it bad, it was just in the middle. An there are couple of main reasons why I felt this way. The first main reason is that some of the episodes in this anime felt rushed. I am not joking with you, if you were to watch let's say episode 12 (for prime example) and if you skipped the main theme song. The episode would go by so quickly that you felt like time hasn't changed at all.

Another reason why I didn't like this anime is because it has little variety in it. One of the things that it usually focuses on is this certain cycle where a creature or human happens to stumble upon a portal that leads them to the restaurant Nekoya. They pick a certain food from the menu that peaks their interest. They eat the food that they picked. They end up liking it (some will probably ask for more helpings.) They describe the flavor and stuff that's in the food. An then they go home happy.

The last thing that this anime focuses on is the patrons that visit the restaurant and their stories. The main reason why I have problem with this is mostly because not all them are that interesting. Don't get me wrong their are some that are ok and have an alright story, but that's it. There isn't one or some patron that stands out and makes me want to say "Hey this character or characters are actually pretty likable and their story is pretty cool or good."

Speaking of problems with a character, I have this one problem/question for this character name Kuro. You find out on this 2nd part of episode 7 that she's one of the 5 dragons that protect the creatures and humans that live on the other world. One day she decides to banish herself to the moon because she wasn't able to control her death powers. Later on she stumbles upon a portal that leads to the restaurant Nekoya. She transforms into this black hair elf, walks inside the restaurant, and nothing happens. Also she currently works for the owner of the restaurant in order to pay off the tab she owes him.

Here is the problem/question I have for her. Why didn't she just transform into her elf form (permanently) in the first place instead of just banishing herself to the moon? It would've made more since, plus she wouldn't be causing any harm to any of the creatures and humans she was trying to protect. But I guess the anime has never even thought about that in the first place (and so help God, if that is in the manga or light novel I'm going to slam my head to a freakin wall.)

Aside from that side problem. I feel like if this show had a little more variety, maybe it would've turn out a lot better than what it is now. Look at Death Parade, it's more than about 1 or 2 human beings trying to figure out how they died while playing these random games set up by these human like creatures name Arbiters. The anime also shows other Arbiters, like who they are, what do they do, and we learn some information about their world. The anime also focuses on the relationship between this one arbiter name Decim and the girl with black hair (I could tell you her real name, but then I would spoiling to those who haven't watched this show.) Their relationship in the beginning starts off ok, but it later on starts to become kind of sweet and nice.

If an anime like Death Parade can have all of that, make it look good, and still show it's usually thing, then so can Restaurant To Another World. Heck I can name a few things that this show could do in order to be more likable. 1. One or some of the patrons could have an interesting or likable trait about them that would catch my and the audiences attention. 2. (As a side story)The show could focus on the Master Chef, like who is he, why did he want to become a chef in the first place, show more of what his relationship with his grandfather was like, and his and his grandfather's relationship with William Gold (The creator of all those portals that lead to the Nekoya.) An finally number 3. (Another side story) The show could also focus on Kuro as she not only learns to control her powers, but tries to get along with other patrons that visit the restaurant.

Before I end this review I want to discuss the two things that I like from this show. One of them would have to be it's animation/drawing . I really enjoy looking at the designs of the background and the foods that they showed in each episode. The food looked so delicious that it made wish I was eating an exact replica of them. The 2nd and last one would have to be the music. The scores that they played for each episode sounded very lovely.

In conclusion this show was just plain okay. It's not great or bad it's just in the middle. If it had a bit more variety then what it currently has now then this show would've gotten a pretty good grade from me. Sadly it won't and that's really a darn shame. With that said I'm giving this anime a 6.5/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Originally posted November 16, 2017

Time. To us human beings it is a neutral and indefinite force that should be reckon with. Some of us sees it as a good thing, while others see it as the opposite. Some of us see it as a useful tool, yet there are others that believe it's a problem. In the end it is both a blessing and a curse to our daily lives. But what if you had the ability to control this neutral and indefinite force? How would you use it? An would you be able to handle the consequences that comes with it?

"Rintaro Okabe is a self-proclaimed "mad scientist" who believes that an international organization is conspiring to reshape the world according to its own interests. He and his friend Itaru Hashida inadvertently create a gadget able to send messages to the past. The discovery and experimentation of this instrument become the catalyst of fundamental alterations to the present. Oblivious of the consequences of their actions, Rintaro and his friends end up creating modifications of grievous proportions. He must then try to find a way to return as close as possible to the original timeline in order to save his precious lab members." (Info by Anime News Network)

Steins;Gate to me is one of the most interesting and intense science fiction anime I have ever seen in my life as an anime fan. Not only is it one of the best visual novels turn anime. But it's also one of the few anime's that actually discuss and show how time travel mechanics, alternate worlds, timelines, and chaos theory works.

One of the things that I love about this show would have to be the characters. To me and I bet many others who have seen this anime would consider them as one of the positives things that's likable from this show. Their were 2 characters however that manage to capture my attention the most. While the rest were both alright and good in my book. But if there is 2 things that they have in common it would be this: 1. They were written and portrayed very well and 2. The English dub VA's did an excellent job at bring the characters to life.

The first character that I liked from this show would have to be Okabe. Even though he can sometimes be seen as weird, stupid, and clueless. He can still show some intelligence when he wants to, plus he has a good heart. He would also make sure that nothing bad would ever come to any of his friends. Even if it costs him his own life and sanity.

The next character that manage to impress me was Kurisu. Kurisu in my honest opinion is not only smart and logical, but she's also one of the most normal anime characters out there (That's good thing.) I don't know why, but whenever I see her on screen I always enjoy every moment of it (probably because of how well written she was.) Plus the chemistry that she has with Okabe is both intriguing and kind of genuine.

The second thing that I found interesting about this anime would have to be the Butterfly Effect that Okabe and his friends keeps causing. You see whenever they keep changing stuff from the past, their not only creating an alternate future and a new parallel world. They will also encounter different types of consequences that comes with it (Some of them were not to bad, while the rest were quite the opposite.) Prime example: In episode 9 (spoilers) Faris (one of Okabe's friends) sent a specific D-mail that not only sent Okabe to a world where what Faris wanted comes true and the item that Okabe was searching for was long gone, but all of the anime culture that was in Akihabara never existed as well. If you want to find out what was in the D-mail that made all that happen, then your going to have to watch this show in order to find out how.

(Spoilers on this part as well.)

Now this last one is pretty stupid, but it's mostly seen as a good thing. You see you later on find out that Luka, Faris, Mayuri, and Kurisu were able to retain some of their original memories just by being in a familiar area or with someone familiar to them. An the reason why that's possible is because according to the anime and Youtuber E;R (If you happen to come across this review thanks again) everyone apparently has a small fraction of the Reading Steiner (It's an ability that allows Okabe to not only change the past, present, and future, but it also allows him to retain his original memories as well.) I understand that some people will see this as sort of like a bad plot device that's use to keep the story flowing. But you have to at least look at it in a positive retrospect that it can actually be seen as a good, useful, and forgivable tool.

In conclusion Steins;Gate is one of the most interesting and intense science fiction anime I have ever seen in my life as an anime fan. It has a fascinating storyline, well written characters that's voice by good VA's, and it has done an excellent job showing and explaining how time travel mechanics, alternate worlds, timelines, the Butterfly Effect, and chaos theory works. I truly and highly recommend you check this show out, whether your new or used to anime. It is most definitely worth your time and patience. With that being said I'm giving this anime a 10/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Originally posted December 7, 2017

Today I will be reviewing a certain show that is not only one of the few anime's I have ever saw when I was new to anime itself. But it's also one of the most notable and classic anime's that has ever debuted in 2008 (Right next to that would have to be Code Geass Season 2, XXXholic, and Soul Eater.) The show that I'm referring to is called Spice and Wolf. Originally I was going to review this show on the last week of November (Because it's settings took place around the fall.) Unfortunately I had to rescheduled to this week due to classified reasons. But technically I could still review the anime considering the fact that winter hasn't officially come yet (Yeah yeah leave your Game Of Thrones joke down in the comment section.) With that being said on to the review.

Season 1's Plot: "Kraft Lawrence, a 25 year old peddler travelling from town to town selling and buying various things to make a living during a period much like Europe in the Middle Ages. One night when stopped at the town of Pasroe, he finds in his wagon a 250 year old pagan wolf deity girl named Holo. She appears to be that of a 15 year old girl, except for a wolf tail and ears. She introduces herself as the town's goddess of harvest who has kept it blessed with good harvests of wheat for many years. Despite having the responsibility to watch over the town, she wants to go back to her homeland in the north called Yoitsu, she believes the people have already forsaken her anyway and that she has kept her promise to maintain the good harvests. She manages to bargain her way out of the village by making a deal with Lawrence to take her with him. As they travel, her wisdom helps increase his profits, but at the same time, her true nature draws unwanted attention from the church." (Info by Anime News Network)

Season 2's Plot: "Continuing where the first series left off, it follows Kraft Lawrence a experienced traveling merchant and his sharp tongued wolf god companion Holo on their journey to return to Holo's home to the north called Yoitsu. A tender relationship has blossomed between the characters, as they make deals, travel between cities, encounter religious fanatics or vice versa and mostly just do what a traveling merchant has to do to get by." (Info again by Anime News Network)

Spice and Wolf in my opinion is absolutely amazing. It's one of the few anime's that actually builds and portrays hetro romance in a delightful and well written way. An I actually respect that. Because it shows that the people who make these type not only wants the anime, it's storyline, music, artwork, and characters to be great, but the romance as well too. It also shows that they want their anime to be loved and remembered by those who come to watch it.

One of the few things that I love about this anime would have to be the relationship between Holo and Kraft. The reason why I find it so intriguing is because of the strong bond/connection that they have with each other. It's also because of the way that they love and care for one another. An that they would protect each other whenever one of them is in danger or a need of help. Plus the both of them make a great team whenever their dealing with crooks, business men, and other merchants. Even though their times when they will have an argument about something or someone, they will eventually make up and continue the great bond that they have. In short I find the chemistry that the two of them share to be both excellent, beautiful, and genuine.

Another thing that I like about this show would have to be Holo and Kraft (individual). The reason why I like Kraft is because of how mature he is and that he's pretty smart when comes to being a merchant. I also respect he's determination in reaching his goal (which is to build he's own dream store.) Even though their are times he can be an imbecile and make poor business deals. Holo will always be there to keep him in check and make sure that he doesn't make any irrational decision that will prevent him from making good money.

The reason why I love Holo is because of how wise, intelligent, fascinating, and clever she is. She's also pretty good at making good business deals as well. Even though their are times when she can be very haughty and stubborn. Doesn't mean she cannot be nice and kind too. Plus without Lawrence she would've been very sad and alone again (An before you say anything let me explain why she feels that way. After the humans decided to abandoned her she had to spend the next few years all alone with no one to befriended or talked too. Because of that it has hurt her and it has also made her feel neglected.)

In conclusion Spice and Wolf is still an amazing, classic, and notable anime with a fantastic storyline, great characters and music scores, good artwork, and knows how to build and portray a delightful and well written love story. If your fan of romance anime's, then I highly recommend you give this show a try. You'll have great time watching it by yourself or with someone you love. I'm giving this anime a 9.5/10, let me know what you think in the comments.

(Bonus note 1: J. Michael Tatum and Briana Palencia have done a brilliant job voicing both Lawrence and Holo. The both of them have made their characters relationship sound real and believable.)

(Bonus Note 2: In hindsight I should've reviewed this show next month. The reason why I say that is because next month will be Spice and Wolf 10 Year anniversary. Oh well at least I got it done now, that's all that matters. )
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
Originally Posted December 14, 2017

There are many types of anime genres that I really enjoy watching. A few prime examples would have to be: action, fanservice (when done right), Sci-Fi, mystery, and comedy. But one of the genres that I really found to be the most absorbing would have to be philosophical. There are 3 main reasons why I love this genre so much. 1. I love watching, understanding, and learning about the type of lessons/theme it discuss. 2. It makes me wonder about myself, my life (and the choices that I make), and the stuff that happens around the world. An finally 3. It proves that not every anime out there is generic and cheesy. There are some out there who like to play it smart.

Luckily for me today's revamp review goes over some philosophical themes. An it's also one of the most legendary anime's that was released in the year 06. The anime that I'm talking about is Revamp Review 7# Ergo Proxy.

"The world has become largely uninhabitable over the course of time and now what remains of humanity exists inside large dome-like cities. When androids known as AutoReivs begin committing crimes and displaying a semblance of freewill Re-L Mayer begins investigating the cause. This takes her on an adventure that encourages her to ask deep philosophical questions about herself, her companions Vincent and Pino, as well as the world they live in." (Info by Anime News Network)

Ergo Proxy is both a strange and intriguing anime. It's the type of anime that you really have to pay attention to, otherwise you'll never understand what's going on (trust me, I know.) The first 2 times I've watched this show I was never able to comprehend what EG was talking about. But once I watched it a 3rd time (while doing some research) I was able to fully fathom the things that it was discussing. An I found lot of things that interested me.

One of those few things would have to be the query of what makes a human themselves. The reason why I like this is because the anime makes us (the audience) question how are we the person we are today. Was it because of the environment that we live in or was it inherited to us? A prime example of inheritance that anime shows would have to be the Cogito Virus that the proxies give to the AutoReivs. Once their infected by this they start to grow their own consciences, personalities, and they get choose what they want to do with their own life without the orders of their human owners (in other words become masters of their own fate.)

A prime example of environment would have to be Re-l Mayer. In the beginning and sort of middle of the series she was know to be pretty rude, stubborn, and cold. But every since she spend days traveling outside of her home dome with Vincent and Pino her personality began change. She became more nicer, caring, and less distant.

The second thing that I loved from this show would have to be philosophies/themes that it discuss. Which is raison d'être and I think, therefore I am. The reason why I like these is because they provide a great message that I believe we as human beings should never forget. The 1st being that humanity has many reasons to live (or exist) for. Without them we would either lose ourselves to insanity or become obsolete. The 2nd is that we should all never doubt who we are or our existence. The anime has provided some examples of raison d'être (I'll provide an example later in the review), but it has only shown one example of I think, therefore I am. Which would have to be episode 11. You see during that episode Vincent still has doubts that he himself is a proxy, but after talking to his "Inner self" he finally beings to understand and accept who he really is.

The third thing would have to be the proxies. Their intriguing creatures that have super strength, super speed, shape-shifting abilities, can be invulnerable to bullets and fire, telekinesis, and their sort of immortal. Plus without them the people of the domes would lose their main raison d'être. You can almost say their kind of like gods (and before you say anything, no Ergo Proxy is not a religious show. It may have some religious themes in it, but it is most definitely not a Christian show.)

The few things that I like about this anime would have to be the storyline (It can be described as both fascinating, mysterious, and abnormal.) The characters (some of them are alright, some of them can be pretty weird, but if there's one character that really stands out the most, it would have to be Pino. The reason why is because she's mostly seen as one of the light parts of this show. Without her and the rest of the light parts EG would mostly be dark, grim, and kind of boring.) The artwork (I thought it was kind of good, but I had one problem with Quinn's (she's a character outside of Re-l's dome) design in episode 5. You see whenever your looking at her few inches away or closely at the side of her face (I'm not kidding you) she looks like a man whose trying too hard to look like a woman, but fails miserably.)

An finally the music (even though there was a few in there, they were actually pretty good, but my 2 most favorite songs would have to be the opening and ending theme song. The opening sounds very majestic, powerful, and moving and as for the ending it sounds like a beautiful lullaby. I'm really glad the creator of this show picked Kiri and Paranoid Android as their opening and ending theme. They both fit perfectly in the world of Ergo Proxy.

There are only 2 problems that I had with this show.

1. In episode 2 you see Vincent in a mall trying to shoot the proxy that's after him. But here's the thing there's was a lot of people there and they didn't run away or start screaming when he started shooting or when the proxy appeared (excluding the part when the Proxy pushed them away.) They just stood there like dolls.

2. In the end of episode 14 Re-l asked Vincent if he was him or the doppelganger they've encountered. But before he can answer her question, the show just cuts to a scene where both them and Pino are back on the ship. Even though the answer was later on revealed on the ship it would've been nice if we just heard it from Vincent before the show decided to move on to that scene. Plus it feels kind of awkward.

In conclusion Ergo Proxy is both a strange and intriguing show with great philosophical themes, a fascinating, mysterious, and abnormal storyline, great/weird characters, kind of good artwork, excellent music, and does a good job making us question what makes us ourselves. If your into Philosophy and would love to watch anime that goes over some. This is the one of the few you should definitely check out. With that said I'm giving this a 8.9/10 let me know what you think the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted December 21, 2017

Well gals and guys this weeks review is going to be my last review for this year. The reason why is because Christmas week is coming (and I would like to take another week off to relax and clear my head.) So which anime should I pick to be the last 2017 review? Well it's non other than Sunrise review 5# Tiger and Bunny.

"The series takes place in "NC 1978" in a fictional, re-imagined version of New York City called Stern Bild City, where 45 years before, superpowered individuals known as "NEXT" (an acronym standing for Noted Entities with eXtraordinary Talents) started appearing and some of them became superheroes. Each of the city's most famous superheroes work for a sponsor company and their uniforms also contain advertising for real-life companies. Their heroic activity is broadcast on the popular television show "Hero TV", where they accumulate points for each heroic feat accomplished (arresting criminals or saving civilians, for example) and the best ranked hero of the season is crowned "King of Heroes".

The story mainly focuses on veteran hero Kotetsu T. Kaburagi aka Wild Tiger who is assigned a new partner, a young man named Barnaby Brooks Jr. However, Barnaby and Kotetsu usually have trouble working together as they have conflicting opinions on how a superhero should act while at the same time trying to crack the mystery of the murder of Barnaby's parents." (Info by wiki)

(Bonus Note: I watched the Netflix version of this. )

Tiger and Bunny is one of the best and finest hero anime's I have ever seen. If there was list of the best Superhero Anime of all time it would definitely tie 1st with My Hero Academia. The type of feeling you get when you watch this show would have to be feel-good, entertaining, and pretty dark (sometimes.) I'm really glad I got the chance to check this series out and that I use this as the final anime to review this year.

One of the things that I love about this anime would have to be the times whenever some of the heroes question and show how a hero should be. I never seen a superhero anime actual go over that kind of topic before, but I am really glad they did. An to be honest I say they did an alright job of presenting it.

Another that I liked would have to be the partner ship between Tiger and Bunny. Even though sometimes their partnership can have some flaws (Tiger being reckless and not trusting his partner sometimes and Barnaby only caring about points and not keeping his emotions in check.) The both of them still make a pretty good team when they trust each other and fight together.

The last few things that I love would have to be the storyline (It was very good. I had a real good time following along with it.) The characters (Majority of them were great, while some of them were alright in my book.) An the artwork (I thought it was well drawn and animated, except for Fire Emblem's 3D design. It just looked pretty weird to me, plus I don't understand why he had to be animated in 3D. He doesn't wear a full armor suit like Tiger, Barnaby, Bison, or Origami (A few prime examples.) I just don't get it.)

(Bonus note 2: All of the English dub voice actors did an excellent job portraying their characters. Especially Wild Tiger's and Jake Martinez's.)

One of the characters that I love from this series would have to be Kotetsu aka Wild Tiger. I admire he's never give up attitude, he's reason for being hero, and how funny he can be sometimes. Even though he has a lot of flaws doesn't mean he's a terrible guy. He's just good hero/dad who has some problems that he'll eventually conquer later on in the series.

Another character that I liked would have to be Jake Martinez. This character kind of reminded me of something's that I liked about the Joker. He's crazy, pretty smart, a clever villain, always smiles whenever things goes he's way, and he's pretty interesting guy.

Sadly there were 3 things that I didn't like from this series:

1. (Episode 1) before Wild Tiger was rescued by Barnaby, the anime for some particular reason decided to show us model shots of Barnaby's suit. I don't really understand why we (the audience) needed to see that. Unless we were going to see him put his attire on or fully see him coming to save WT, then that scene was completely unnecessary.

2. Why didn't Kaede realize that her Dad was a Next in episode 18? The reason why I ask that is because in that episode she fully figures out what her powers are (she can copy any Next's ability just by skin contact.) Well in the previous episode after Kotestu (Kaede's Dad) pat her in the head. Her powers started to manifest and she gain his ability. You would think after she figured out how her powers work she would finally realize that her Dad not only has powers, but is also Wild Tiger. But no, she doesn't even bother thinking about it or asking him at all.

3. Lunatic was kind of treated poorly in this show. So short story there's this vigilante name Lunatic who goes out and kills criminals because to him it's the right thing to do. An you would think (stick with me) that he would be a huge problem for the heroes, but also be one of the wake up calls for them (that they should fully start acting like good superheroes and not do it for the fame, attention, points, and sponsors.) But nope, after 3 episodes ( episode 6, 7, and 8) he later on becomes a side character. Which sucks because in episode 16 you get to know more about him and that he's haunted by someone he knows from the past. What's even worse is that this the only episode that goes over it.

In conclusion I still love this anime and still consider it as one of the best and finest anime's I have ever seen. It has a very good storyline and twist, great/alright characters, very well drawn animations (excluding Fire Emblem's 3D animation design), and it does a alright job of tackling the discussion of what it really means to be a hero. If your looking for another good action anime to watch, then I really recommend you give this one a shot. I am giving this anime a 9/10, let me know what you all think in the comments and I'll see you all again on the 1st week of January.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Originally posted January 4, 2018

Well folks we finally made it to 2018. You know what that means, right? New year, a fresh start, new plans/agendas, and most importantly new anime reviews. So what type of show shall I review on the 1st week of 2018? I know how about another dragon girl anime (before you give me any slack, let me remind you that I haven't reviewed a Dragon Girl anime since April 2017.) An who knows it might be as good as Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. So without further delay here is Gonzo review 10# Dragonaut The Resonance.

"Twenty years prior to the story's beginning, an asteroid headed for Earth destroys Pluto. Due to Pluto's destruction, the asteroid, which is dubbed Thanatos, becomes temporarily stagnant in Pluto's orbit. Now, in order to avoid Earth's impending destruction, the International Solar System Development Agency (ISDA) works on the "D-Project", and secretly creates weapons called "Dragons" after finding a dragon egg under the ocean. However, they soon find out that the asteroid is not their only threat, as powerful, destructive dragons from Thanatos appear on Earth.

After witnessing what looks like a murder by a strange creature, Jin Kamishina, a lonely 18-year-old boy who lost his family in a shuttle accident two years ago, gets involved with the ISDA and their efforts to battle the dragons from Thanatos. Helping him is Toa, a mysterious girl who saves him from falling to his death after the creature attacks him. As they delve deeper into the mysteries of the dragons, they encounter new friends and enemies, and also develop a closer relationship." (Info by wiki)

What in the world was I thinking? An who knows it might be as good as Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid? At least Miss Kobayashi was enjoyable and entertaining show. This anime however is quite the opposite. Allow me to elaborate.

One of the reason why I dislike the show is because of the storyline. By God is it bad. Not only has the anime done a terrible job in getting me invested with it's story. But it also (sometimes) pulls up illogical stunts that doesn't make any sense and it keeps making me ask questions that'll never be answered. (Prime examples will be shown later in the review.)

Another reason why I didn't like this series was because of the characters. There were 2 characters that I thought were very annoying and stupid (Jin and Kazuki (Jin's best friend). While the rest of the characters didn't seem very interesting or likeable at all. Mostly because to me (and to anybody else who watches this) they seem pretty bland and generic.

And if you think those 2 were the only reason why I didn't like this show. Then think again. Because I had to write down 17 issues that I had with this show. But considering the fact that I have a rule for not making a review any longer than it already is. I have decided to only show you the Top 10 problems that I have with this anime. So here we go:

1. (Episode 1) After the spaceship got destroyed by a couple of asteroids (Which were actually the Dragons). We could see everyone including Jin falling to their doom, until a few seconds later the show just transitions to another scene where he's going to school. What the heck? The least the writers could do is show that he was waking up from a nightmare.

2. (Episode 1) Machina and Sieglinde look exactly like Reina and Maria from Witchblade. Me thinks Gonzo is not being very original with their character designs.

3. (Episode 4) For some unknown (because plot) Jin finds this thing that helps him ride on Gio's (another Dragon) back. By the way this is his first time riding this thing. So how does he know how to control it? Also how did he know it was there? The show never elaborates.

4. (Episode 5) The anime decides to shows us (the audience) that the ISDA has captured that one lady (Widow) that brought a handkerchief to Kazuki at the end of episode 4 because she was a dragon. The anime also doesn't explain how they knew she was a dragon and how they captured her.

5. (During the beginning of Episode 10) Kitajima (a scientist who works for the ISDA) tells Jin that he had resonated with Toa 2 years ago and that he is Toa's master, but then a few minutes later she tells her boss Kusagi that Jin wasn't Toa's master. My question is why would she say one thing, but then later on say something completely different. And before you say "well maybe she wanted to hide this info from her boss." She would never do that. She has no reason to. She's completely devoted to him.

6. (In Episode 13) Jin and Gio were trying to push the fourth original Dragon to outer space while Gio was holding a bomb. Once the bomb exploded it looked like it destroyed all 3 of them, but for some miraculous reason it only destroyed the fourth original Dragon, while Jin and Gio were able to escape in a shield bubble made by Gio. (I know that doesn't make any sense, but that's exactly what happen. I'm not kidding you.)

7. Sometimes whenever a character gets injured, he or she doesn't do a very good job at making it look like their actually injured. Prime example would have to be this one part in episode 15 when Jin gets shot in the back by this evil Prince, but a few seconds later he gets back up like nothing happened, punches the Prince and walks over to where Toa is captured.

8. (Episode 17) Even though back in episode 14 both of them were engulfed in the explosion and should've died (which was created by Widow.) Both Widow and Kazuki (for some miraculous reason) are still alive.

9. The relationship between Jin and Toa is both rushed, bland, and very stupid. The reason why is because the anime has done a bad job of building and portraying it. The first time when Jin and Toa meet with each other their instantly in love. An that's mostly thanks to the resonance ("The process that is used to determine a person's compatibility with a dragon" (info by wiki)) that the both of them went through. Now while going through a resonance sounds interesting and all, it doesn't help make their relationship intriguing or likable. It just makes it feel fake and forced.

10. The show never explains why Toa saved Jin from falling to his doom 2 years ago. An before you say "well maybe it's because the resonance that they went through." They didn't go through a resonance until Toa (for some strange reason) saved him from falling.

In conclusion Dragonaut absolutely sucks. It's one of the worse anime's I have ever watched. It's storyline is bad, it's characters suck, and it has so many problems that'll never be solved. The only positive thing that I can say about this show is that the artwork was alright and that one fight that Toa had back in episode 1 was good.

Maybe if this show was written a lot better than how it was originally, I would've probably liked it and give it a lot of props. But sadly that's never going to happen unless Gonzo decides to make a better remake of Dragonaut (and I highly doubt that's ever going to happen.) So with that said I'm giving this anime a 1/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted January 9, 2018

I've been noticing a pattern between me and Gonzo as of lately. Sometimes I will encounter some good anime from them. Sometimes I will encounter some bad ones. An rarely I encounter ones that are a mix bag. I wonder which one Gonzo Amine Review #11 18if is on. Hopefully it's one of the good ones. Let's find out.

"Waking up in a strange bedroom in a dream world, teenager Haruto Tsukishiro finds a strange app on his phone. When he activates the program, an odd woman appears and tries to drag him to her realm. Luckily, a mysterious, white-haired girl severs their connection and helps him escape, revealing that the woman is a witch; however, their conversation is cut short. As Haruto enters the realm again, he meets an anthropomorphic, talking cat named Katsumi Kanzaki. While the witch's minions pursue them, the white-haired girl opens a door for them to escape.

After their ordeal, Haruto describes their savior—which only he can see—and Katsumi, the leading authority on dream world research, realizes that she must be "Lily," a being that resurfaces repeatedly across multiple dreamscapes. Hoping to leave the dream world through a blue door, they enter the witch's realm once again. Finding themselves in peril, Lily reveals the truth to Haruto: witches suffer from "Sleeping Beauty Syndrome," a coma-like sleep state induced by torment in their real world lives. Thus, they cannot wake until they are defeated in the dream world.

After finally defeating the witch and locating the blue door, Haruto and Katsumi say their farewells, promising to meet up in the real world. However, when Haruto exits through the door he awakens in the dream world bedroom once more. Seeking answers, Haruto and Katsumi try to uncover the mysteries of the witches, Lily, and Haruto's own inability to leave the dream world." (Info by My Anime List)

Sadly and not shockingly this anime wasn't one of the good ones. It is definitely no doubt one of the bad ones. An that's too bad because I really thought that this show was alright at 1st. That was until it decided to pull up a lot of downsides and a controversial stunt. But before I can address the problems that were in the show, allow me to elaborate some of the positives that I did like from it.

(Spoilers)

One of things that I liked from this show was Episode 3, 4, and 7. The reason why I like 3 was because of it's beautiful story. Where Haruto helped the 3rd Witch Kayo experience the life of a High School student and the life of having a boyfriend before she died. The way this anime execute this was a little odd at 1st, but later on became sweet and beautiful.

The reason why I like 4 is because of it's sad story and happy ending. In the episode you find out that the problem that the 4th Witch is dealing with is an eating disorder (The reason why she has this problem is because her boyfriend told her that she was getting fat and didn't want to date her anymore. She later on decided to go on a diet, but it later on backfired when she decided to eat a whole lot of junk food.) Eventually this problem gets solved in the end thanks to Haruto persuading her to not worry about losing or gaining weight, but that she should just enjoy eating food regularly. The way how this show execute this was really good, even though it was being weird at times.

As for 7 I loved the great story, the surprising twist in the end, and the creative artwork the animators made for this episode. In 7 a robot name Yoshitsune enlist Haruto and Katsumi help to find he's friend Nene (aka the 7th Witch). As soon as he finds her he finds out that she is furious with him. The main reason why is because she has hated Yoshitsune and wanted to get revenge on him after she found out that he killed their best friend Pot. You also find out that the main reason why he did it was to become king and to make the land they lived in a better place. But this does not stop her from killing him.

The last thing that I loved about this show was the artwork. Aside from that one character design flaw on the Representative of The Thorn Cross Association's eyes in episode 11 (Whenever your look at him from a few inches away he's eyes are not shown, but when the scene gets closer to him their there.) The artwork/animation was actually both pretty good and strange at the same time.

An now folks the moment you have been waiting, the downsides that I have with this show. Believe it or not and this the 1st time that this has ever happen. I have found 22 problems that this anime has decided to pull out of it's butt. But remember what I said in my Dragonaut review. I don't want to make my reviews any longer than it already is. So just like last week and the other shows that had more then 10 problems. I will only put in the ones that are most necessary. Which is 9.

The Downsides:

1. (Episode 1) After Haruto beat the 1st witch he finds a blue door (by entering it he'll be able to leave the Witch's World and wake up.) Once he enters the door he finds out that he's still in the Dream World. Instead of questioning why he's still there he just decides not to worry about it and goes to sleep. That's ridiculous. I understand that he's laidback at times, but in the middle of the episode he was determine to leave the Dream World. So where did that determination go?

2. Episode 4 doesn't follow the continuity of The Sleeping Beauty Syndrome (Whenever a girl catches this disease they will fall into a coma and turn into a witch in the Dream World. The only way they can be cured is if they solve the problem that their dealing with in the real world.) But in this episode the 4th Witch (Airi) is able to wake up and go to sleep like a normal person and is still be able to turn into a witch.

3. Episode 6 was not a very good episode. Here are 2 reasons why:

1. Katsumi and Haruto were able to stop The 6th Witch pretty quickly. All they had to do was tell her what was going on in the real world (that her bullies are currently apologizing for their actions and that her mother feels sorry for not seeing her in pain) and she just stops harassing everyone (by the way this happen during the beginning of the middle of the episode.)

An number 2. The bullcrap after end credit scene. In this scene you see the 6th Witch perfectly alive and well and that she's getting rude text messages from her phone. Instead of letting them get to her, she decides to turn off her phone. An I know what your going to say, "but Blake what's wrong with that?" The problem my dear readers is that the anime doesn't explain how she is still alive. You see during the beginning of the episode she decided to end her life because she was sick and tired of the harassment that she has been receiving. If the writers just explain how she survived then I or anybody else watching this episode wouldn't have to ask how she's still alive.

4. Episode 8 makes no sense and is very stupid. You see in the almost near end of this episode Sono (The 8th witch that Haruto has encounter) tells him that he has a problem with understanding what others are trying to tell him and that he needs to let other people help him. Also that he needs to help himself.

The reason why this is so stupid is because these issues that she has listed has never been a reoccurring problem through out the past 7 episodes. An the reason why this makes no sense is because she barely even knows him. She can't just make that assumption just because he wasn't able to understand what she was trying tell him the 1st time he met her.

(Bonus note: Episode 8 is also the beginning where 18if starts to deteriorate.)

5. (Episode 10) during the middle of this episode we (The audience) find out that Professor Katsumi can now see Lily (He wasn't able to see her before in this episode), but he doesn't explain how he's now able to see her until episode 12.

6. (Episode 12) For some stupid bullcrap reason Kayo (The 3rd Witch that died in the 3rd episode) is miraculous alive (and is a ghost now.) According to the 7th Witch the main reason why this is possible is because she left some part of her soul in the real world because she was so concerned for Haruto. 1. That is the most stupidest explanation I have ever heard (so far), 2. There was no sign that she was still alive in that episode, and 3. The anime just ruin episode 3's beautiful story.

7. (Episode 12) 2 of the former witches (I forgot their names) for some particular reason need to confirm if the person in the wheel-bed was Haruto (their in the hospital searching for him by the way.) I don't understand why they needed to do that. They just saw he's face a few seconds ago and then later on followed a nurse pushing him to a room with his name on it.

8. (Episode 11) We (the audience) find out from Lily that Eve (from The Bible) is actually the one behind the Sleeping Beauty Syndrome and that it's up to Haruto to keep her asleep (But a few minutes later she changes her mind and tells him to kill her (I guess the writers decided killing Eve was way better than keeping her asleep.)) Because if she wakes up, then everyone on Earth dies. This is stupid and very controversial at the same time. 1. Eve has been dead for some many years. How in the world is she still alive and have this much omnipotent powers? 2. The reason why this is so controversial is because the anime is using a character from the freakin Bible to be the main antagonist for their show. I'm pretty sure if some Christians find out about this they would be having a field day.

9. The ending. Haruto (aka the reincarnation of Adam) decides that he doesn't want to go back to the real world. Instead he wants to go up to Heaven, he even decides to bring Eve with him (despite all of the problems that she has caused on the ten Witches and to the Earth.) An if your wondering how they were able to get to heaven that's because Eve created a door that leads to the place.

In conclusion this anime is terrible, but it didn't have to be. If the anime had just continue being good, not pull up so many problems, and just make up an original villain of their own or use a real fictional character that's not from a religious story (except for the devil, I think Christians would be alright with that.) Then not only would 18if be know as a good show, but it would've also make up for Gonzo releasing Akiba's Trip The Animation. With that said I'm giving this anime 3/10.

Bonus Note: Just to let you know next week is not going to be another Gonzo Anime Review.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
Originally posted January 16, 2018

3 years after the release of The End Of Evangalion (aka Gainax's 1# Messterpiece.) The company decided to team up with Production I.G. to create one of the greatest anime's that has ever debuted in year 2000. The OVA would later on become a great influence to Nickelodeon's Avatar The Last Airbender (I'm not joking.) It's one of the few Japanese show's that makes newcomers of (and probably some who are use to watching) Anime ask themselves "what the heck did I just watch?" It's also one of the few anime's I reviewed during my 1st year as an Anime Reviewer. The anime that I keep talking about of course is non-other than FLCL (Season 1).

"FLCL is a coming-of-age story and revolves around Naota Nandaba, a 12-year-old, working-class boy living with his widowed father and grandfather. His life in the city of Mabase is interrupted by the arrival of Haruko Haruhara, who runs over Naota with her yellow Vespa 180 SS scooter, gives him CPR, then hits him on the head with a blue vintage Rickenbacker 4001 left-handed electric bass guitar. Naota discovers that the blow to his head created an "N.O." portal, from which giant robots produced by a company known as Medical Mechanica emerge periodically.

Naota later finds Haruko working in his house as a live-in maid. It is later discovered that Haruko is an investigator for the Galactic Space Police Brotherhood. Haruko uses Naota for her search for the Pirate King, Atomsk. She is at odds with Medical Mechanica, a monolithic industrial corporation. Naota is being watched by Commander Amarao, a special agent of the Bureau of Interstellar Immigration, who believes that Medical Mechanica is out to conquer the galaxy. Naota is ultimately drawn into a three-way battle between Haruko, Amarao and Medical Mechanica." (Info by wiki)

Fooly Cooly can be described as weird, beyond abnormal, sexual (sometimes), bizarre, insane, dumbfounding, stupid, illogical, and etc. But you know what, I still love it for that (I'll explain why later, for now here's a little backstory between me and FLCL.) The 1st time when I watched this show (I was 16 years old at the time, still kind of new to the world of Anime) I was absolutely shocked and dumbfounded by everything I was watching. I felt like I was going to go insane if I kept watching more of it's uncanny episodes (Spoilers: I ended up finishing every episode and felt perfectly fine. I felt a little messed up in the head, but I was fine.)

One of the things that I love about this OVA is the strange stuff that happens in the world of FLCL. I believe that I and the majority of the people who has watched and is a fan of the show can agree that this is the number 1 reason as to why Fooly Cooly is so loved. An there are 2 reasons as to why we like it the way it is. The first is that it was very well made (You can clearly see the heart and creativity that was put in there, plus it's actually pretty funny and enjoyable to watch.) The 2nd is that it's one of those so ridiculous, yet so good type of anime's (Whether done on purpose or on accident we can't help ourselves, but to enjoy everything that these type of shows provide because it's so interesting and entertaining to look at.)

Another thing that I loved (or should I say was impressed by) about this season is the South Park reference that the show made in episode 5. I never thought I would see the day when an anime would not only make a reference to South Park, but actually replicate the artstyle and the voice acting too (I only listen to the English Dub, don't know about the Japanese Dub.) But I gotta hand it to them, they did a really good job.

The third thing that I love about this show would have to be the theme. There are 2 more reasons as to why FLCL season 1 was such a good and brilliant season. 1. It's because Kazuya Tsurumaki (The director and producer of season 1) and the FLCL Production Committee (Gainax, Production I.G., and Starchild Records) did the one thing that no anime company has ever done. An that was "breaking the rules" of anime. 2. The season provided a good message. But what is that message exactly? Well it's this: no matter what happens in life, you gotta keep moving forward. That was a problem that the main character Naoto had to deal with in the beginning, but was later on able to resolve it thanks to a certain someone in his life (I'll explain who it is later.)

The last few things that I love was the storyline (Even though it was completely messed up, I really liked it.) The characters (I thought they were alright, except for one particular character. Haruko Haruhara) The artwork (Even though it looked strange, I thought it fit perfectly for this show.) An the music (In my opinion I thought it sounded amazing. Kazuya did the right thing when he hired the Pillows to help out with the soundtrack. Without them Fooly Cooly wouldn't have that cool and memorable music score that it has today.)

My favorite character in this show would have to be Haruko Haruhara. Even though she's really crazy, freakish, odd, and out of this world (puns, I got them), I still love her. She's the kind of girl you wouldn't mind dating, but don't want to tell your parents about because you feel like they won't approve of her. Also without her Naoto wouldn't be persuaded to keep moving forward in life (aka wouldn't be able to swing the bat.)

In conclusion this show maybe crazy and insane, but it's the good kind of crazy and insane. It has a messed up/good storyline, a cool and nuts character, a strange, but exceptional artwork, awesome and memorable music, and a great lesson for many people who struggle to move on in life. I truly recommend you buy and give this OVA a shot, trust me your gonna have a wild time watching this. With that said I'm giving this anime 10/10, let me know what you guys in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Originally posted January 25, 2018

2 years ago during the middle week of June. I watched and reviewed a show called My Hero Academia. To me it was one of the best superhero shows that has ever debuted in the 2010's era (right next to that was One Punch Man, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, and Young Justice.) The 1st time when I watched it's 1st season I was amazed and enjoyed each episode it had to throw at me and I really couldn't wait for it's next season to appear. A year later I found out that the new season was coming out that upcoming April, but there was a positive and a negative that happen during the time of it's release.

The good news is that I finished watching every episode that season 2 had to offer. The bad news is that I didn't realized to make a review of it until a few weeks ago from today (and I wanna apologize for that.) I was so caught up with watching and reviewing other anime's (old and new), that I completely forgot about reviewing the 2nd season of MHA. But don't worry I will make up for that right now. So let's not waste anytime and see if My Hero Academia Season 2 was actually worth the watch.

"Taking off right after the last episode of the first season. The school is temporarily closed due to security. When U.A. restarts, it is announced that the highly anticipated School Sports Festival will soon be taking place. All classes: Hero, Support, General and Business will be participating. Tournaments all round will decide who is the top Hero in training. Wills and strengths will be tested, as weaknesses will be overcome in this new season of My Hero Academy." (Info by Anime News Network)

(Warning: If you haven't watch season 1, please do so now before reading the rest of this review.)

While the 1st season did a good job with impressing the anime and (probably the superhero) fans with it's debut of a good storyline and characters. Season 2 however..... was fantastic. The majority storyline was great, Most of the characters (both old and new) were really good and entertaining to watch, the music scores were pretty good, and the comedy was actually really funny (when it wants to be.) If I had to be honest, season 2 is the best season in this show so far.

One of the few things that I like about this season would have to be the Sports Festival Arc. Now there are 2 reasons as to why I like this arc. The first is that you got see and meet some of the other students that attend U.A. High (Some of them were good characters with pretty interesting quirks (I hope I get see them again in the next season) while the rest of them were decent and alright.) The second reason is the competition to reach 1st place. I really enjoy watching each student battle each other and trying to crawl their way to be number 1. It was pretty intense and exciting to watch that it had me questioning and guessing who was going to reach 1st at the finale.

(Spoiler note: I'm really glad that Midoriya didn't win 1st place. Because if he did then he wouldn't have Gran Torino (All Might's previous teacher and semi-retire superhero) as a mentor. Plus he wouldn't be able to learn some techniques on how to control his abilities.)

The second thing that I liked about this season is that you got to know some of Midoriya's classmates a lot more. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed following Deku's storyline and have been impressed on how he has progressed as a character and a hero. But after getting to know some of his classmates a lot more, I learn that I liked them a little more then how did in the 1st season. Plus I wanted to talk about 3 certain characters that has impressed me the most in this season (aside from just Midoriya.) An those characters are Ochako Uraraka, Shōto Todoroki, and Katsuki Bakugō .

The reason why I like Ochako is because I respect her reason and determination of become a hero (she wants to make a lot money so that way she can help her poor mother and father out.) But there is a flaw that she comes across during the Sports Festival. The problem is that she likes to rush certain things. Because of this problem Bakugō was able to beat her in that one dual they had. Had she (taken her time) to come up with a smart strategy, she would've probably been able to beat him. Eventually she learns from her father that she should take her time with certain things including being a better hero. Hopefully she keeps this lesson later on her life.

Even though he can be reckless at times, rude to others, and needs to control his anger. You can not deny that Bakugō is a smart individual with a lot of potential. He has shown that in the 1st season and he has shown it a lot more in this season as well. I really hope the makers of this show and manga don't make him a villain later on in the series. Because it would be too obvious and too easy to do that (even though it makes since.)

The main reason as to why I'm interested in Shōto is not just because he's a mature student with an amazing Quirk, it's mostly because I feel bad for him. During he's childhood his father Endeavor (The number 2 hero) has been very abusive to him and his mother. He also learns that the main reason why he's father keeps him around and has given birth to him is because he wants to have an offspring that is superior to All Might. Because of this treatment Shōto has not only been cold (no pun intended) around his father, but he has also made a promise not his use he's father's genes (his fire ability) on anyone.

Because he feels like if he use it he would turn out just like him. But after getting a wake up call from Midoriya, remembers what All Might taught him when he was a kid, visit his mother (who is currently in a mental hospital), and did something thinking. He learns that he can still be a good hero and use his fire abilities just by being himself.

(Bonus note: Now even though he's not apart of Midoriya's classmates and is one of the primary villains in this season. I still consider him as one of the best characters on this show. The person that I'm referring to of course is the Hero Killer: Stain. There are 2 reasons as to why Stain is great villain/character. 1. His reasons/goal of becoming a villain: The reason why Stain has become the person he is now is because he wants to expose and kill all of the fake heroes (Those who become heroes for fame, money, attention, or any other good perks that comes with being a hero (He'll even go after those with self desires), but leave the ones who understand what it truly means to be a hero alive (But the only people who he sees that fits that description is Midoriya and All Might, especially All Might.)

Which leads me to reason 2. He has become a major influence to villains everywhere. After his arrest his ideology of killing fake heroes started to spread like wildfire on the news and internet. Thanks to that villains everywhere (old and new) have started to feel inspired and have decided to join the League of Villains (because they think that's who he originally worked for.)

(Spoilers ahead)

The last thing that I like about this season is that you get to learn more information about the One For All power. There are 3 interesting facts that this season has to decided to reveal about this quirk (by the way I'm not going to reveal the 3rd one because it's a major spoiler, I really recommended you see that one for yourselves.) 1. It would seem that this ability is going to play a key major role in the main/Midoriya's storyline. 2. The main antagonist has a quirk that can rival it's power. He's name (believe it or not) is All For One (not only can he take other people's quirks and make it his own, but he can also give to others who don't have any powers (but majority of the time when he does this it cost them their intelligence thus turning them into a mindless slave.)

Just like the previous season, season 2 had one certain downside that rubbed me the wrong way. An that would have to be the last episode. I really feel like it didn't leave on a great note. It wasn't bad or horrible it just felt kind of bland. That's not something I or anybody who watches this episode should feel. Hopefully the next season will have a better final episode than this one.

In conclusion even though it had one kind of bland final episode, season 2 is still fantastic. It has a great storyline, the characters (both old and new)are really good and entertaining to watch, the music scores were pretty good, and the comedy was actually really funny. If you liked the 1st season, then I really recommend you to check out the 2nd before the 3rd season comes out. With that said I'm giving this season a 9.5/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Originally posted January 30, 2018

Well isn't this a surprise? I'm going to be reviewing another Studio Graphinica anime. If you don't remember (or didn't read that review) the last time I reviewed an anime by them was Hellsing Ultimate (They were one of the three anime companies that own the show. They also helped create episode 8-10.) An many of you who read my HU review knows how much I loved that show. But I'm not here to talk about Ultimate. I'm here to review it's latest (and hopefully it's most interesting) anime Juni Taisen.

"In a city of half a million people who have all been removed, twelve of the deadliest mercenary warriors with the names and attributes of the Chinese zodiac animals are pitted against each other in the twelfth Zodiac Tournament, which takes place every twelve years. During this rendition, each warrior is asked to swallow one of twelve poisonous gems, which will kill each of the warriors after twelve hours. To be granted any one wish of their choosing, the winner must retrieve all the gems from the other eleven competitors before the deadline (12PM, December 12). It becomes a merciless battle where survival is crucial at any means." (Info by wiki)

I thought this show was alright. It kind of felt like I was sort of watching a supernatural version of The Hunger Games. Except instead of picking random people from 12 districts. The only ones that get to participate in these games are the ones that belong to the 12 Zodiac houses.

One of the things that I love about this anime would have to be the high class fighters that participate in the game. I was pretty impressed and amazed with the different variations of skills, techniques, and strategies they used in order to defeat/kill each other. I also like how every episode (except 11 and 12) showed each fighter's past (except for Ox (sort of) Rat, and Usagi (Rabbit) .) So that way you can get to know them personally and find out their real reason in participating Juni Taisen.

The were 3 fighters that I liked and impressed me the most. The first would have to be Monkey. I kind of respect her 100% determination in wanting to bring peace around the world and to end the Juni Taisen games permanently. Even though she knows that won't be simple to do and every time when she brings peace to warring countries their only temporary. This doesn't stop her on wanting to reach that impossible goal. Regardless of what the outcome is and what anybody says or thinks.

The second character that impressed me would have to be Usagi. Even though he may look like a clueless idiot who doesn't know what he's doing. He's actually a very skilled and pretty smart fighter that will never cease to amaze you. I love how he uses his dead opponents (or any other dead corpse) as puppets so that way he can use them draw out, distract, or kill the living opponents that stands in his way of victory. He's truly (one of the few fighters that's) a force to be reckon with and definitely shouldn't be screwed with.

The third and last character that I liked would have to be Tiger. Aside from her provocative attire (I don't hate it). There are 2 reasons as to why I love this character. 1. Her drunken Tiger fighter technique and 2. Her past. I can't tell you fully what happens there (because I don't want to spoil it), but I can describe it as both sad and interesting. If you don't believe me go check out episode 9 and 10 and see it for yourself.

The last few things that I love about this show would have to be the storyline ( I thought it was pretty good, until I saw episode 11 and 12. I will explain later.) The music (I thought it was ok.) And the artwork (I thought it was very well drawn and animated.)

Now before I end this review I want to talk about the 4 main downsides that I have this show.

(Spoilers on this part)

1. Episode 2, 3, 7, 10, and 11's title names straight up spoiled who was going to die. The least the people who wrote these episodes can do is come up with a name that doesn't give away which fighter is going to be killed off.

2. Instead of showing someone else's past or what's currently happening in the competition. Episode 8 decided to show more information about Snake and Dragon's past. To which I found it to be completely unnecessary and pointless to watch. I and many other people have learn plenty from episode 7. So why did the writers of this anime thought it was a good idea to show more?

3. Rat. There are plenty of reasons as to why I dislike this character. 1. He's a very bland and uninteresting character. 2. (This happens in episode 11) Him winning the Juni Taisen game was not a surprise because the show gave out 3 obvious hints that he was going to win in the end ( A. In episode 1 Boar said that he stood out from the rest of the fighters. B. She said that he's voice sounded familiar, but couldn't remember where she heard it from. And C. All of the rich VIP audience who were watching and betting on the fighters never betted on Rat.) 3. He spends the entirety of episode 12 trying to figure out what type of wish should he want and when he finally comes up with an answer, I felt kind of angry (especially what happened next.)

Which leads me to problem number 4, the ending. You find out that he's wish was to forget about his visions (because their mentally stressful to use) and when he finally gets that wish he goes to school, falls asleep on his desk, and then the show ends. Now here is why I have a problem with that. Aside from what I said about number 1 of what I dislike about Rat, the show never mainly followed his story. In fact he's sort of barely in this show at all. I feel like if I got to know him a lot more (especially down to a personal level) and if the writers gave him a more likeable personality. Then maybe I would've liked him and the ending that they gave me and the rest of the people who watched this. But sadly they do that.

In conclusion I still think this show is still alright despite it's 4 flaws. The storyline was pretty good (aside from episode 11 and 12), the music was okay, the artwork was very well drawn and animated, and the high class fighters were very entertaining and interesting to watch. With that being said I'm giving this anime a 7.9/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Originally posted February 8, 2018

After the release of the oh so raunchy and dirty Panty and Stocking, Hiroyuki Imaishi and Masahiko Ohtsuka (a Gainax employee) have decided to part ways with Gainax and create an anime company of their own. The anime company that they have created would later on to this day be known as one of the most notable Anime companies in Japanese history. The company's name was called Trigger. But before they could gain that recognition the studio would have to prove to the world that they too can create content that anime fans would enjoy seeing.

So in 2013 Trigger decided to release their 1st short (which would later on get a popular Television show in 2017) and TV show. Now the 1st show that they release was not ordinary nor regular. No, it was so ridiculous, so jaw-dropping, so mind-blowing, and so WTFery (stay with me know) that anime fans and critics wouldn't shut up about how great and amazing it was. But what anime could possibly fulfill the type of qualities that I just listed? Well that's where Kill La Kill comes in.

"Ryuko Matoi carries a large weapon shaped like half of a pair of scissors. She's looking for the woman with the other half, who killed her father. Satsuki Kiryuuin, student council president of Honnouji Academy, is said to know the woman's identity, so Ryuko transfers there. Those who arrive at the school receive a special "goku uniform", and Satsuki has used that power to rule the school in fear." (Info by Anime News Network)

If there was a word that could describe Kill La Kill it would be crazy-brilliant. This anime is no doubt one of the top best unhinged and Magical Girl anime of all time. This anime is so ridiculously good that it comes close to FLCL's madness (I'm not lying nor am I pulling any punches, this show is that F'N good.) The storyline is strange, but it's pretty easy to follow (If your paying attention to it of course.) The characters are crazily diverse, but entertaining to watch.

The music was very well made (I do have some songs that I liked from it, one of them (no shocker) is the "Don't Lose Your Way" Song. It's pretty upbeat and kind of inspiring (so if you ever feel down or need to listen to a good anime song, then this is one of the few you need to check out.) And the artwork (which looked absolutely stunning.) I really loved looking at the amazing colors and the fast pace movement of the characters whenever their running or in action (these things definitely fit in the world of KLK.) Whoever helped with animation did an excellent job and I hope they got paid handsomely.

One of things that I loved from this show would have to be the Kamui's. Made out of the creatures know as Life Fibers, this attire can grant the user extraordinary strength, agility, and power. But there are 2 negatives to these positives. 1. You have to have no shame when your wearing it, otherwise the attire won't work. 2. In order for it to stay energize, the Kamui will need to feed on the user's blood. So the person who's wearing it will have to be careful on how they (by the way only a female can wear it) draw out it's power. Otherwise they'll turn into a monster and die of blood loss.

(Bonus note: Kamui in English means Godrobe. So technically whenever you see Ryuko and Satsuki wearing them their kind of like Goddess walking among mankind. Kind of intriguing don't you think?

Another thing that I love from this anime would have to be the fanservice. It's pretty interesting how it's both seen as something baffling, but enjoyable to looking at. I like it when Hiroyuki uses this type of formula (when it's shown and made the right way.) It makes the show's that he has created a lot more fun and entertaining to watch.

There are four characters that I love the most on this anime. The first would have to be Ryuko. Matoi is a very tough and determine tomboy who will do everything that she can (even give up her own blood to her Kamui) to find and kill her father's murder and find the secrets that her father has been harboring from her. Even though she can be a reckless hothead at times. That doesn't mean she doesn't know how to learn from her mistakes and become a better fighter/character.

Another character that I liked would have to be Mako. Annoying, stupid, weird, and questionable at times, but a good, kind-hearted, true and great friend to Ryuko. Whenever she has to make a point about something (even if it sounds weird) to Ryuko or someone else, she'll makes these crazy speeches to which I call Mako time. It's pretty entertaining to watch if you just ignore the ridiculous stuff that she does during those moment. What can I say Mako is just one of those idiotic characters that you don't mind sticking around for the entirety of the series.

Mature, strong, Intelligent, very skilled, excellent strategist, loyal, a great leader to her team, and prideful. These are the words that describe Satsuki Kiryuuin. If there is a goal that needs to be succeeded, Satsuki will do everything in her power to complete it. Even if she has to wear the powerful and provocative Junkestu (her Kamui.) The women is pretty serious and has zero shame (I both love and respect that.)

Ragyo Kiryuuin maybe a psychotic, heartless, creepy, power-hungry, and extremely prideful woman. But I will not lie nor deny that she is one of the most best villains in anime history. The woman is willing to use, manipulate, deceive, and sacrifice anyone or everything to make sure that her ultimate plan becomes successful. An when I mean anyone I mean ANYONE (including her own family and loyal workers.) Plus she looks beautiful, has great taste in clothing, and knows how to make a grand entrance (Not even Stephanie McMahon can top that.)

Now before I end this review, guess what time is it? It's time to discuss the downsides that this show has. Luckily for you guys it's just one issue that I have a problem with. An that problem is fake hype. (Spoilers)

At the almost near end of episode 24 Ragyo gives Ryuko a warning that's something was going to happen in the future. The message that she told her sounded like a hint that Kill La Kill was going to either get a new season or a movie. An as much as I and the fans of this anime would love to see that be confirmed, it's sadly never going to happen. Because after episode 24 and KLK's pointless OVA aired, people find out that show has ended and those last two episodes were last things your going to see from KLK.

To this day there has been no word from Studio Trigger or the people who work there saying that they were going to change their minds and finally make the new season or movie. An you know what that is both stupid and disappointing at the same time. If your going to create an amazing show with a finale that hints something big is going to happen after that finale, then you better put up and actually deliver. I apologize, but that fake hype that the final episode gave was kind of low blow to me and I couldn't ignore it.

In the end Kill La Kill is still crazy-brilliant even if it's stain with one downside. The storyline is strange, but it's pretty easy to follow. The characters are crazily diverse, but entertaining to watch. The music was very well made. An the artwork looked absolutely stunning. If your looking for a show that can be just as crazy as FLCL and pretty erotic as P&S, then KLK is your anime. With that said I'm give this show a 9.5/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Originally posted February 12, 2018

Well folks Valentines week has finally made it's presence. So what better way for me to celebrate this beautiful week by reviewing a recent romance anime that everyone knows and loves. And before you say Citrus the answer is no (besides that anime is not close to being completed.) The anime that I am reviewing is not only one of the most notable anime's that debut in the year 2017, but it has also been the talk of the town in this years Crunchyroll Awards. The show that I'm discussing is called Recovery Of An MMO Junkie (Or Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life, if you prefer it's alternate name.)

"Moriko Morioka is a 30-year-old successful career woman who decides to quit her taxing corporate job and become an elite NEET and find a more fulfilling life. She joins an online MMORPG Fruits de Mer and creates a male character named Hayashi as her avatar. In game Hayashi meets another character Lilly, a high level player who helps him learn the game. Hayashi and Lilly becomes close friends and Hayashi joins Lilly's guild, @HomeParty. Meanwhile, in the real world, Moriko has a chance encounter with a good-looking elite company employee, Yuta Sakurai, who may have ties with her online life." (Info by wiki)

I must say this show was actually alright. The 1st time when I heard of this show I thought it was just another random, cheesy, and stupid anime that I had to avoid (2017 had a lot of those sadly and I that MMO Junkie was one of them.) Little did I know (and thankfully) it was actually one of those "never judge an anime by it's cover" types. And besides it wasn't as TOO bad as I thought it would be.

One of the things that I liked from this anime would have to be the romance between Moriko and Yuta. I thought the chemistry that the two had was both sweet and nice. It might not be as great and impactful like Holo and Lawrence's relationship was, but I thought it was good enough to be a likable one. Plus I thought it was a little bit genuine as well (considering the fact whenever I see them have a sweet moment I always have a warm smile on my face.)

The last few things that I like from this show would have to be the storyline (I thought it was pretty nice). The characters (There were some that I thought were exceptional in my book, while the rest were just seen as ok.) The theme song (I thought it was pretty catchy. I kind of RECOMMEND you check it out (I know that was kind of cheesy.) And the artwork (I thought it looked pretty good.)

One of the characters that I liked from this show would have to be Moriko Morioka. Even though she's pretty awkward, kind of weird, and sometimes has a hard time communicating with others (IRL). This doesn't stop me from liking her. In fact I kind of find it cute when she's like that at times (plus she's kind of a sweetheart.) Also I felt kind of bad for her when I found out her reason of becoming a NEET and I really hope that she find another way to feel eternally happy without relying on that MMO game she's been addicted to. Even though the anime doesn't show a full backstory of what happened (because the show only last for 10 episodes and I guess the writers felt like they didn't have any room to put that in.) It does give some helpful hints to the viewer so that way they can understand and feel sympathetic towards Moriko.

The last character that I like would have to be Yuta. He maybe seen as a bit of a uptight person at times, but in reality he's really just a nice and good guy that really loves Moriko. Even though he can be shy at expressing his feelings towards her sometimes, he's friend Homare (who is also an old associate of Moriko) is always there to help him break it bit by bit.

So remember earlier when I said "it wasn't as TOO bad as I thought it would be?" Yeah that was a hint to let you know that I found 2 downsides in this anime. (Spoilers ahead)

1. In the end of episode 3 you find out that the person who was controlling Lily was actually Yuta. But here's the thing, it wasn't actually that surprising considering the fact that episode 1 gave 2 obvious hints that he was Lily. 1. At the almost near end of episode 1 the anime switches to Yuta and his friend Homare having a conversation (now you have to think for a minute, why in the world would the anime do that? And what does this guy have to do with Moriko's storyline?) 2. the anime then shows him and Moriko standing close to each other at the check out desk (they were at a convenience store.)

2. This happens in episode 4-5. So Hayashi tells Lily about the time when "he" was accidently sent to the hospital by this "woman". "He" also tells "her" that "he's" going out to drink with an old associate of "his." Yuta realizes that Hayashi's story sounded very familiar to him (and it should because he's the "woman" that accidently sent "him" to the hospital. And that associate he's talking about is Homare (Homare told Yuta he was going out with Moriko tomorrow.) And just when you think he puts the pieces together and finally figures out that Hayashi is actually Moriko, he just brushes it off as a big huge coincidence.

I know he eventually figures it out at the end of episode 5, but I found that scene to be absolutely retarded. Just because Hayashi switch the genders doesn't mean the situation that "he" was in was a huge coincidence. If I were him I would want to ask Hayashi if "he" happen to be Moriko. So that way I can clear my suspensions.

In conclusion MMO Junkie or Recommendation of the Wonderful Virtual Life is an alright anime that I suggest you give it a watch. It has a pretty nice storyline, some exceptional and ok characters, a catchy theme song, a good romance plot, and it's artwork/animation is pretty good. I'm giving this anime a 7.9/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
Originally posted by March 6, 2018

Gambling is one of the most popular fun activities that adults enjoy playing during their spare time. It's a game where fate (the cruel mistress) really gets her hands dirty and decided who is the victor and who is the sucker. The victor gets to gain a lot of money or whatever personal and valuable object that they or their opponent or opponents bet on (but that part only happens when your playing cards.) The sucker (obviously) gets nothing and loses some or all of their money (or personal valuable object) that they bet on. Sometimes by their own fault or because a certain someone rigged the game.

Now what if I told you that there was a weird anime about a bunch of high school students playing gamble (because it's the only way to succeed in high school and in life) and the crazy stuff that happens there is cranked up to 8. An it was shown in a ridiculous, but enjoyable way; would you watch it? If you said yes, then I have just the show for you to check out. It's called Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler (season 1).

"Hyakkaou Private Academy houses the most wealthy and privileged students in Japan, with many future leaders and professionals among the student body. In the school, the student hierarchy is determined by an intricate gambling system in which students bet their fortunes against one another. The system is overseen by a tyrannical Student Council that oversees all aspects of student life. The students in debt become slaves to the whims of those who hold their debts. One day, a new student appears, one who gambles for the thrill of it rather than the financial or social gain. She quickly disrupts the hierarchy of the school and the student council frantically tries to find ways to shut her down." (info by wiki)

I have to admit, the 1st season of Kakegurui was pretty good. Even though some of the crazy stuff that happens in this anime is kind of seen as average at best. Doesn't mean I don't like the good crazy parts and the other enjoyable stuff that I liked about this show. Plus the gambling games that characters play was exceptionally entertaining.

One of the other things that I liked about this show (believe or not) would have to be all of the weird facial expressions that the girl characters pull off. If there is another thing that this show would be famous it would have to be this one. The faces that they pull off go from odd to crazy and I have to admit their pretty interesting to look at. Plus (depending on their mood) it perfectly matches how they truly feel about a certain something or someone (the last I saw a show that pulled off these types of expressions would have to be Hellsing Ultimate.)

The last few things that I like about this anime would have to be the storyline (to be honest I though it was good.) The characters (some of them were alright in my book while the rest were meh.) The music (was really good. I like how the intro is the only one that plays jazz while the rest of the scores including the ending used either techno or electronic (this part kind of reminded me of Danganronpa's soundtrack.) And lastly the artwork (I thought it was really well made, especially the female student's stocking, lips, and eyes. If you look closely at them (including Yumeko's) you can definitely see how much detail the animators put in there in order for them to look perfect.)

The only character that I really liked the most would have to be Yumeko Jabami. Unlike the majority who play for money and social status. Yumeko is one of the few that only plays just for the thrill, fun, and rush of it (winning or losing doesn't really matter to her.) Her thirsty for gambling is pretty much on the same level of Alucard's thirst of fighting someone who is stronger or on the same level as him. Whenever she's battling or dealing with a dangerous or clever opponent she always plays it smart. An if she catches them cheating she always finds a way to expose them and make them pay for it. Either by A. showing proof that their cheating, B. breaking them down and make them feel frustrated, C. pushing them over the edge of their limit or D. cheat back (but only if it's necessary.)

This season had 2 downsides that I hope doesn't return in the next season:

1. (Episode 6) For some reason Ryōta thinks that Yumeko was already beaten by the student council president back in episode 3, but she wasn't. She was beaten by the president of the Culture Club (by the way the Japanese dub says the same thing as well. So both dubs are not following along with the continuity.)

2. Ryōta himself. Aside from what I said back in number 1, Ryōta has to been one of the most annoying anime male characters I have ever encounter. Majority of the time when you see him he's mostly seen as a complete worrywart and is always constantly worried about Yumeko. I understand that he's her friend and that he cares about her, but he should've already known by episode 3 that she can take of herself and doesn't care if she loses a match. An if she needed his assistant she would let him know.

In conclusion I thought this season was pretty good. Even though this show had some negatives including some of the average crazy parts. I still had a good time watching this. The storyline was good, some of the characters were alright, the music score was very good, and the artwork was really well made. Hopefully the next season will be a lot more interesting and better than the 1st. Until then I'm giving season 1 an 8/10, let me know what you guys think the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
Originally posted March 12, 2018

Well what you know? I've come across another Masaaki Yuasa anime. The last time I've encounter his work was when I reviewed The Tatami Galaxy. A show that I both love and respect not only just because of the intriguing storyline and artwork. But it also had a relatable and great message as well. Hopefully I get to see him pull off another great success with the latest anime that he has directed. It's a show I never thought I would watch and review until now. So with no further delay, here is my review of Devilman Crybaby.

"Akira Fudo learns from his best friend, Ryo Asuka, that an ancient race of demons has returned to take back the world from humans. Ryo tells Akira that the only way to defeat the demons is to incorporate their supernatural powers, and suggests that he unite with a demon himself. Akira succeeds in transforming into Devilman, who possesses both the powers of a demon and the soul of a human. The battle of Devilman and Akira Fudo begins." (Info by Anime News Network)

Well I have some good news and I have some bad news. The bad news is that I didn't think this anime was all that great. Which is kind of sad and disappointing. I actually thought Masaaki would pull it off again, but all he and the rest people who worked on this anime did was make a mixbag of a show. What's even sadder is that he wasn't the only notable figure who worked on this show. The person who was in charge of writing the story was none other than Ichirō Ōkouchi (He was the writer for Azumanga Daioh, Planetes, and Code Geass Season 1 and 2.) I understand that not everyone is perfect and sometimes they'll make a mistake, but I still find it kind of sad that I've came across one of their sort of bad/good content. Hopefully they'll do better in the future.

Luckily (and this is the good news.) I found some stuff that I really liked from the anime. Allow me to show you them.

One of the few things that I love about this show would have to be the rapping scenes. Whenever Wam and his crew starts freestyling it always sounds so sick and amazing. I always get excited and start bobbing head to the amazing beats they always preform. I'm also glad (by the way I watched the English dub version) that majority of the raps were only spoken in Japanese. Aside from that one rap that was in English (which was pretty good) most of the lyrics that their saying wouldn't sound so catchy if it was spoken in English. If you don't believe go look up Devilman Crybaby Rap on YouTube watch the video and look at the lyrics. Once you do you'll understand what I mean.

(Spoilers on this part)

Another thing that I liked about this show would have to be the message behind Devilman Crybaby. If I had to be honest this was the one that persuade me to give this overhyped show a chance. An I know what some of you are probably gong to say "but Blake, what messages is Crybaby trying to make?" The answer my dear reader is this: Never judge a book by it's cover and you can both be an abnormal and civilize human being at the same time. A prime example of Never judge a book would have to be Silene and Kaimu. Even though at first they looked like evil creatures with no souls and emotions, later on at the almost near end of episode 5 you see the both of them expressing their feelings for one another. A prime example of a person being both abnormal and civilize would have to be Akria. Even though he can be a jerk, do inappropriate things, and is pretty violent, he still a human being with emotions, a heart, and a soul. He also cares about the innocent as well, especially those close to him.

The reason why this message was put into Crybaby is because we live in world where some people want to assume and judge other people on how they look, talk, and what they do, instead of just getting to know who they truly are as a person. Without stuff like Devilman Crybaby who has this type of message and common sense, majority of us wouldn't even give a single thought about getting to know one another and would most likely hurt one another as well. In the end we all would probably act like (pardon the pun) "demons."

(Bonus note 1: I also want to thank Sloan The Female Otaku. She's the one who told me about the true meaning behind Crybaby. If you wanna go look up her content, check her out on YouTube.)

The last few things that I liked about this anime would have to be the storyline (it was a mixture of both okay and not very good.) The characters (aside from Akria, Miki, and probably Miko the rest weren't all that great.) The music (was actually really good. besides the rap, the electronic music that the show played was very catchy and I enjoyed every minute of it.) The sexual content and sex scenes (it was both weird and something, nuff said.) And the artwork (it was pretty well drawn and animated. Even though it can look weird sometimes, it definitely fits for a show like Devilman. )

And now we move on to the negative part of Crybaby. Luckily for this show and you guys there is only 8 problems.

(Spoilers on this part as well)

1. (Episode 1) Akria doesn't immediately say anything or is shocked that his old pal Ryo has a gun with him. He also doesn't do or say anything when he starts shooting at Wam and his gang until later on when he's in the car with him(even though he missed on purpose, Akria should've at least done something. Considering the fact that he cares about all living beings.)

2. (Episode 1) Nobody runs away when they see a few party members turn into demons. They just stand there horrified while this is happening.

3. (Episode 2) When Akria tells Miki that Nagasaki (a perverted photographer) is taking advantage of her and her innocence, Miki begins to question Akria by asking him "what's wrong with being innocent."

4. So you learn in both episode 2 and 3 that Wam and his crew are actually good people. If that's so then why were they bothering Miki back in episode 1?

5. (Episode 3) So for some particular reason after Miko and Mayuta (one of the guys in Wam's crew) stopped talking the anime looked like it was going to pan up to where Miki's little brother was at, but before it even got a chance to do it. It pans right back to Miko and that guy I was talking about.

6. (Episode 4) Even though he killed a few party members, killed Nagasaki and his mother, and almost killed Miki. Akria is still best friends with Ryo.

7. Even though the action scenes look pretty interesting (and besides episode 10, sort of), they go by so quickly your left unsatisfied. I feel like the main reason why they were so short is because the director was so focused on sending a message to the people who watched this show, that he either completely forgot or didn't care about making the action scenes a lot more entertaining.

It's great that he wanted to make a statement (and it's a good one), but I feel like he should've both made the action scenes and the storyline a lot more intriguing and make a good statement at the same time.

8. (Episode 10) So according to Ryo (who is revealed to be a reincarnation of Lucifer) God was able to kill all of the demons, but not their souls. So they went into hiding until they learn they can merge with other humans. An God (The dude who is suppose to be the number 1 most omnipotent being in all of the universes) doesn't do anything about this until the end of episode 10. An the main reason why he never did anything until the end of episode 10 (and I'm not kidding you)..... is because he couldn't sense the demons. That is both hilarious and stupid at the same time, but most importantly dumbfounding. How in the world could this guy not be able sense them? Was he off playing video games, playing golf was his pals, sleeping? Either way that is ridiculous.

In conclusion Devilman Crybaby is both an okay and not so great anime with a mixbag storyline, 3 alright characters, some weird and something sexual content and sex scene, a great soundtrack, a great message, and a very well animated/drawn artwork. Even though this show wasn't all that great I still recommend you guys give this show a shot. It's definitely worth the watch. I'm giving this anime a 6.5/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Bonus note 2: You wanna hear something hilarious and stupid. There was actually a bunch of people who considered this show to be Anime Of The Year. Even though they are still a lot of other anime's who have the potential to take that title and this show was just released this January, they still claimed it to be AOTY. Look, I understand that they like this show and if you did too, that's cool. But don't just claim this to be AOTY until you see the rest or at least some of the other good ones that also have the potential to be AOTY as well.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
Originally posted March 20, 2018

Just like My Hero Academia (sort of.) I forgot to do a full legitimate review of Attack On Titan season 2. The main reason why I said sort of is because in June 17, 2017 (The day the final episode aired) I decided to make a video review giving my full honest opinion about the season. A few hours later I decided to delete that video. An before you say "I bet it's because he got a lot of down votes and angry comments." That is not the real reason as to why I deleted the video. The real reason why I got rid of it was because the video was garbage. It was poorly structured and I didn't know what to fully say about the 2nd season (it was pretty bad.) But luckily and thankfully after rewatching all of season 2's episodes I can finally give my full honest opinion on how I really felt about it. (P.S. This will not count as a revamp review.)

"In Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2, Eren Yeager and others of the 104th Training Corps have just begun to become full members of the Survey Corps. As they ready themselves to face the Titans once again, their preparations are interrupted by the invasion of Wall Rose—but all is not as it seems as more mysteries are unraveled. As the Survey Corps races to save the wall, they uncover more about the invading Titans and the dark secrets of their own members." (Info by My Anime List)

I just want to remind and let everyone who doesn't know that we (the AOT fans) have been waiting for 4 years for this season to debut. Some of us believed that it was still going to happen. Some of us had doubts that it was ever going to come. While the others were probably in the middle. But now that the 2nd season has already made it's full appearance, I can definitely say that this season was both pretty good and a bit disappointing. Which is sad because I was expecting for this season to outshine the 1st. Don't get me wrong I loved the 1st season, but when you own a good show and it has another season on it's way. Your fans will expect and hope that it will be even more cooler than the previous one(especially (again) if they had to wait four years to get it.) But before I can explain the main reason why I felt this way allow me to elaborate some of the positive things that I loved from this season.

(a spoiler on this part)

One of things I liked about this season was that you got to learn a bit more of who the minor characters are and their past. I love it when anime's like this give non main characters the spotlight. It shows that the director or directors and writer or writers not only wants you to thoroughly learn who these characters are, but they also want you to connect with them and follow their story as well (maybe even consider them as one of your favorite characters.) One minor character that I actually liked the most would have to Ymir. Mostly because you get to fully see who she is as a person, her relationship with "Christa", when/how/why she is a titan shifter, and a certain information that's not only interesting, but is very important to the main storyline (and no I will not tell you what that is because that is a major spoiler.)

Another thing or should I say character that I liked would have to be the Beast Titan. He is actually the 1st titan to not only keep his intelligence, but can also speak in full sentences and can (sort of) control other mindless titans. Even though his appearance in this season was short. He did a good job of persuading me to keep an eye out for him in what he might do in the next season (who knows, he might even blow my mind away.)

The last few things that I liked about this season would have to be the storyline (I thought it was good.) The characters (were still alright. Some have changed a bit, while the others remained the same.) The music (aside from the electronic music, it too was good as well.) and the artwork (was still very well made and animated.)

Now there are actually 2 problems that I have with this season. The 1st is just a minor thing, but still needs to be discussed. While the 2nd is the main reason why I felt this season was a bit of a disappointment.

1. The electronic music. Not only does it sound bad and off, but it also doesn't fit for AOT. I think the musicians should stick to the regular genre they always make for the show.

2. 12 episodes. Instead of giving us 24 or 25 episodes. Production I.G. and Studio Wit have decided to only give us (the fans) only 12 freakin episodes. According to Thomas Romain (the creator of Code Lyoko) he found out that the main reason why they could only provide a few episodes was due to them going through some...... budget cuts. Huh, that's funny. Because Studio Wit released another anime for 2017. It's called The Ancient Magus Bride (a show I will be reviewing soon.) An that show is suppose to last for about 24 episodes (heck it's getting closer to it's last episode.) So my main question is how is that Wit has enough money in their budget to give Magus Bride 24 episodes, but not AOT (one of their most notable and popular franchise in their roster.) Something fishy is going on here and I believe it's more than just or perhaps not budget cuts.

In conclusion even though this season was short, the creators did their very best to make this season look pretty good. The storyline was still good, the characters were alright, The music (aside from the electronic part) was also good, and the artwork was still very well made and animated. Here's hoping that the next season will not only outshine the previous, but will also have more than just 12 episodes. With that said I'm giving AOT 2nd season an 8.5/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11