• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Welcome to the Ballroom Anime Gets Amazon Prime-Only Streaming Inside, Outside Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
missts wrote:

Can't speak for the other poster but from my experience Amazon Prime still has region locked content making some shows inaccessible. I tried out Prime for spring season and the amount of anime I had was really limited. The only seasonal shows that I had access to was Saekano, Re:Creators and Rage of Bahamut. So for a lot of people there really is no way to legally stream certain shows. I really wanted to watch Sakurada Reset, but no luck for me.

That is because while the 3 other titles you mentioned were direct Amazon licenses (like Ballroom), Sakurada Reset was licensed by Sentai, which then licensed it to Anime Strike (which is US only for now):
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-31/sentai-filmworks-licenses-sagrada-reset-tv-anime/.114172

While what is licensed by Amazon probably will end up on Anime Strike in the US (and Prime elsewhere), what is (sub-)licensed by Anime Strike doesn't translate to a license for Amazon Prime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Daniel Maister wrote:
Instead of thinking that the whole god damn planet represents a potential customer

Getting 7 Billion people to watch anime is utterly possible even more so on a streaming serivce.

Daniel Maister wrote:
As Gabe Newell said : Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem

I wouldn't put too much stock in the words of a guy whose had people waiting forever for another Half-Life game....and who makes a rather shaky argument on Piracy to start with.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Guaranteed flop, you have to pay for prime which is expensive + $300+ for BDs if you want them. This is an example of 100% pure highway robbery in the anime industry that shouldn't be occurring.

Whatever miserable number of us non-Japanese people watch this show legally won't affect whatsoever its success. Our market doesn't matter to the production commitee - it's their own that does. As long as the Japanese like it enough and buy the BDs/DVDs, it'll be a success. A few hundred people complaining on some western website and watching it ilegally won't matter.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
After "Princess Principal", this is perhaps my most anticipated summer title. I actually wish many Anime Strike would cancel their subscriptions in a short amount of time. A minimum of 3/4 in 1 week. That could be an incentive for Amazon to cancel their their double paywall.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Meh, dumped my Funi acct and used that extra $6 a month to pay for the $5 Strike account.

Is it frustrating to pay for it with my Prime? Mildly. I also use my Prime pretty consistently for video game preorders and household purchases so it's not like I'm paying for Prime so I can pay for Strike.

Is the service bad though? It's pretty terrible aside from the fact that they have some really good anime on it.

I'll at least be fine with it if they can fix their crappy subtitle issues. Rolling Eyes
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuki Hayashii composing? I'm in, if this is just for Prime.

Man, some company could make bank if they made a legal music streaming service platform and worked to get the licenses for hit anime OSTs (and maybe games e.g. Square Enix). Doubt it'll ever happen, but it'd be better than Spotify's selection and cheaper than importing.
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Yuki Hayashii composing? I'm in, if this is just for Prime.

Man, some company could make bank if they made a legal music streaming service platform and worked to get the licenses for hit anime OSTs (and maybe games e.g. Square Enix). Doubt it'll ever happen, but it'd be better than Spotify's selection and cheaper than importing.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/global-anime-song-streaming-service-aniuta-unveiled-with-over-50000-songs/.113851
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4