• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Do The Japanese Feel About Hollywood's Version Of "Ghost In The Shell?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niji9t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Well, at least the original Japanese voice actors dubbed over their roles in Japanese version of the movie and that is the only way I would watch it. Forever pissed they didn't use Rinko Kikuchi or any other Japanese actress for this. Scarlett Johansson is just plain overrated, anyone with a bit of proper film knowledge knows how talented Rinko Kikuchi is and that she clearly surpasses Scarlett.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Sorry,guys. I haven't been around here a lot but I'd like to throw my two cents back in,if nobody minds. I've never really had a problem with them casting Scarlett Johannson as the Major. Again,if you've seen a lot of anime or read a lot of manga,a lot of the characters in those things do look like Caucasians. It may be a great aesthetic,but it's also an immense minefield for anyone in Hollywood who tries to adapt something like this because they will get accused of "whitewashing" even when the characters themselves look like white people.
It wouldn't have mattered to me if the role of went to Scarlett Johannson,Rinko Kikuchi,Saemi Nakamura,or any other English speaking Japanese actress. I think they gave the role to Ms. Johannson was because they thought that she slightly resembled the way Shirow Masamune drew the Major in the manga. I don't know how the guy himself feels about it. I'd love to know that.

Personally,I'd have liked it if they'd have given Mary Elizabeth McGlynn a cameo role in this movie. She did play the Major in many of the English language versions of the anime,so it would have been great if they had done that. I don't know if they did. I haven't seen the film to know for sure. But,I wish they would have. She did appear in some live action stuff like "Quantum Leap,"so it wouldn't have been no trouble for her. Still,I wish they would have done that. Well,so long for now guys.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It ended it's run in Japan at an amazing 5.2 million USD. In other worst, people didn't like it. At least it did better than... Assassin's Creed and Lego Batman, I guess?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well here's a story pretty relevant to the discussion.

So they're struggling with the live action Aladdin remake because they're unable to find middle eastern actors who are good for the parts. If they exhaust all options and are forced to use white actors what then? Are they evil Hollywood white washers too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
If they're considering using white actors for Aladdin I would suggest not making the movie. I suppose it's a bit different in that the source material is set in a pastiche of Arabia that doesn't actually exist, but casting a white actor for iconic brown Disney characters would be pretty egregious (nor would it be really feasible to pull off convincingly without brown face or a change in setting).

I don't think Aladdin will age well politically regardless:

http://melissamott.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Aladdins-Orientalism.pdf

https://www.academia.edu/4221270/_Its_barbaric_but_hey_-_its_home_The_representation_of_the_Orient_in_Walt_Disneys_Aladdin

https://www.ukessays.com/essays/film-studies/theory-of-orientalism-and-disneys-aladdin-film-studies-essay.php
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they are having trouble finding actors for the Aladdin and Jasmine roles. For Jasmine, there has to be some Bollywood stars who speak English (and if they are Bollywood stars, that generally means they can sing and dance).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I'm sorry but I really doubt that would work. The Indian film industry in undoubtedly non Muslim. Casting, say, a Hindu actor as a lead in a story that came out of the Muslim middle east and that is steeped in Muslim culture would cause a storm of complaints in both societies any might get the Indian actor killed.

Casting a Chinese or Korean actor as the Major just because they were Asian would likely have caused a lot of complaints in Japan. Given the history between specific countries, Asian actors are not all interchangeable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - good point. I had forgotten about the Muslim angle. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Casting a Chinese or Korean actor as the Major just because they were Asian would likely have caused a lot of complaints in Japan. Given the history between specific countries, Asian actors are not all interchangeable.

Well in the Star Trek reboot you had John Cho, a Korean American, play Sulu, a Japanese character. I remember there being a little bit of a stink but George Takei was cool with it and it turned out pretty well.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
We can only speculate, but Star Trek was not a remake of a well known Japanese anime. Also, while I've never seen Star Trek, that doesn't sound as if it were one of the leading roles.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sulu is a secondary character, sure, but still one of the core cast. And I can assure you in popular culture he's 1000% more well known that the Major is.

Also a bit of a thing when they made him gay in the 3rd movie. George Takei (original Sulu actor and gay man himself) was actually against the change since he felt rather than changing Sulu to be gay they should have created an entirely new gay character.

This is going off a bit on a tangent but it is interesting to see the difference in reactions between 3rd party outsiders and those groups directly involved. Like how westerners are getting upset about GitS but people in Japan don't really care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4