• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Anime Change Studios Between Seasons?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, my impression has always been that a season is a more or less 12-month period, though I know they can vary a bit.

I think a season stands for "batch of episodes paid". Here is an example of an old show whose seasons never were close to 12 months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocko%27s_Modern_Life#Episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants#Episodes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I think a season stands for "batch of episodes paid". Here is an example of an old show whose seasons never were close to 12 months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocko%27s_Modern_Life#Episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants#Episodes

Exactly. That's why I used The Simpsons as an example. The first season began on December 17th, 1989. The second season began on October 11th, 1990. The third season started on September 19th, 1991. They ran on 10- to 11-month seasons, though it seems the examples you dug up were even more extreme than that.

But yeah, your definition of a season as "a group of episodes the network pays the stduio to make" makes more sense, thinking about it--they just usually happen to fall close to 12-month periods for most shows. A successful, long-running show would have multiple seasons contracted at once though.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
The easiest way to think about them is that a cour is a specific span of time, while a season applies to an entire production as a whole. As others mentioned, a season can be any length that's deemed necessary, regardless of how many cours it takes to fully air.

Hmm, my impression has always been that a season is a more or less 12-month period, though I know they can vary a bit. Early seasons of The Simpsons were shorter than 12 months, but they settled on an exactly 12-month cycle after enough time (which I'm guessing is to ensure there is a Treehouse of Horror episode every season).

No offense, but The Simpsons is an American show - and anime is Japanese. The former is no guide to the latter, in fact it's completely irrelevant, because the two countries have radically different broadcasting culture.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

No offense, but The Simpsons is an American show - and anime is Japanese. The former is no guide to the latter, in fact it's completely irrelevant, because the two countries have radically different broadcasting culture.

I know. I was using examples of American shows to demonstrate how I've always interpreted the word "season" to mean in terms of TV production, and as you've helped out prior, the initial confusion I had was between the words "cour" and "season," as I couldn't tell the difference when people used these words.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But yeah, your definition of a season as "a group of episodes the network pays the stduio to make" makes more sense, thinking about it--they just usually happen to fall close to 12-month periods for most shows. A successful, long-running show would have multiple seasons contracted at once though.

Makes me wonder how contracting works for long-running, year-round anime -- your Sazae-sans and Dragon Ball Zs and Detective Conans. Like, if Shueisha decided Toei was going down the tubes, how far in advance would they have to make the decision to switch One Piece over to another studio?
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
The easiest way to think about them is that a cour is a specific span of time, while a season applies to an entire production as a whole. As others mentioned, a season can be any length that's deemed necessary, regardless of how many cours it takes to fully air.

Hmm, my impression has always been that a season is a more or less 12-month period, though I know they can vary a bit. Early seasons of The Simpsons were shorter than 12 months, but they settled on an exactly 12-month cycle after enough time (which I'm guessing is to ensure there is a Treehouse of Horror episode every season).

Do you have a source on this? All of the companies licensing these shows refer to them in seasons of more than one cour. ANN regularly refers to them in seasons of more than one cour when citing studios/publishers even.

Off the top of my head there was this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-04/dengeki-bunko-editor-no-season-3-yet-for-a-certain-magical-index/.93770

They're referring to season three yet if we were to go by your definition it would be season five.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Makes me wonder how contracting works for long-running, year-round anime -- your Sazae-sans and Dragon Ball Zs and Detective Conans. Like, if Shueisha decided Toei was going down the tubes, how far in advance would they have to make the decision to switch One Piece over to another studio?

Bad example since Toei is in the One Piece and Dragon Ball Super TV series production committee. How about Boruto: Naruto Next Generation? Same thing, Pierrot is in the production committee. As for Sazae-.san, the info in ANN does not list an anime studio in charge, it seems Fuji TV hires everyone directly.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

extraordinarily messy production schedule

God eater was pretty amazing, it aired one week late, then got like 4 recap episodes (what were they even recapping at this point ?) took a one coeur break then aired the remainign 4-5 episodes of the first season in another coeur.

[quote="relyat08"]
maximilianjenus wrote:
Gundam is partially owned by Sunrise, if not fully owned by them, so I don't think that would ever be able to change hands. At least not unless they sold the rights.

I see, I had the idea that some gundam sub-series had been delegated to otehr anime studios since sometimes we have like 3 gundam series running in parallel, production wise.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Though it was more of a reboot, I was thinking about the change in hands between the two series for Hunter X Hunter, and from that I figured the reason behind changes in studios was because anime studios are only contracted to keep making the show until some certain point, after which the production committee is free to pick someone else. Though I figure in rare cases, it's because the studio goes out of business and the production committee needs to find something to replace them.

HxH case though is quite different. Nippon Animation had to stop adapting the series because of the author breaks, and so the series project was cancelled. After around 7 later, they wanted to do another adaptation. Madhouse was the party interested in doing that and/or Nippon Animation was by policy just limited to 1 series and so unavailable.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Bad example since Toei is in the One Piece and Dragon Ball Super TV series production committee. How about Boruto: Naruto Next Generation? Same thing, Pierrot is in the production committee. As for Sazae-.san, the info in ANN does not list an anime studio in charge, it seems Fuji TV hires everyone directly.

One Piece and Dragon Ball Super aren't run by a Production Committee. Nor Boruto, nor Sazae-san.

All of those series are in partnerships, where both the animation studio and the Television have anime license rights(Each of the partners have different deals with the licensor!).
peno

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

In Japan, a season is a broadcast period (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall). In the West, a season is an uninterrupted broadcast sequence. In Japan a cour is a block (generally 13) of episodes, and the term is not used in the West at all. So for most shows, the terms can be used interchangeably, though it's not technically correct. For longer shows (like the currently airing Sakura Quest at 24 episodes), that's not quite correct because while it's a single season (in Western usage), it's two cour spanning two seasons (by Japanese terminology).

It's not a big deal, and only the most pedantic of nitpickers will call you on it.

And that's why I prefer the term series over season regarding anime, but it seems I am at odds with even anime creators, who seems to use the term season even in titles. Or is there even difference between the terms season and series?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

In the US, back in the days when TV was ruled by three broadcast networks, a season started in September to loud fanfare. It lasted until May or June with only an occasional rerun. This not surprisingly matched the standard school year. The idea was that no one watched TV in the summer. Summer was reruns for the most part. Of course back then all TV, including the dramatic series were completely episodic.

Later, along came UHF stations, PBS and cable. Smaller networks found that there was a market for TV in the Summer (partially due to the absence of competition from the big three). Somewhere in there the big networks got a bit hyper about cancelling shows that didn't hit big immediately resulting in mid season replacements.

Basically the entire concept of a "season" of US TV has completely fallen apart. It basically means whatever a given "network" calls it. Most of the time it seems to mean a series of only slightly interrupted episodes of a given show. A hiatus of more than one or two weeks seems to demark a new season. Mostly.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Or is there even difference between the terms season and series?

A series would be the show (or book, or movie) in it's entirety, unlike a season, which is just a chunk of the show (see above for arguments about exactly what a season is comprised of). Assassination Classroom is one series, made up of two seasons and four cours. The Harry Potter series is made up of seven books (or eight movies). It's slightly jarring when people use series and season interchangably, as a series is made up of all the seasons of a show.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

In the US, back in the days when TV was ruled by three broadcast networks, a season started in September to loud fanfare. It lasted until May or June with only an occasional rerun. This not surprisingly matched the standard school year. The idea was that no one watched TV in the summer. Summer was reruns for the most part. Of course back then all TV, including the dramatic series were completely episodic.

Later, along came UHF stations, PBS and cable. Smaller networks found that there was a market for TV in the Summer (partially due to the absence of competition from the big three). Somewhere in there the big networks got a bit hyper about cancelling shows that didn't hit big immediately resulting in mid season replacements.

Basically the entire concept of a "season" of US TV has completely fallen apart. It basically means whatever a given "network" calls it. Most of the time it seems to mean a series of only slightly interrupted episodes of a given show. A hiatus of more than one or two weeks seems to demark a new season. Mostly.

I think the term still has relevance as far as the behind-the-scenes stuff is concerned, regarding budgeting, what's produced at a time (for most animated programming, for instance, an entire season's worth of episodes is planned before anything is even animated, and they are then animated all at once), and how season premieres and season finales are hyped up. While one season might end shortly before the next season begins, unless it's something that runs continuously like Jeopardy! or All My Children, it's usually because there was a mid-season break along the way. Dexter's Laboratory had a rather lengthy break of at least a few months through Season 2, as an example. Most shows cannot afford more than 30 episodes or so per year, even the highest-rated ones.

(The above paragraph is in relation to western programming, though I am sure anime production is not much different, with a season defined as a batch of episodes made all at once, and when outsourced to an animation company elsewhere for in-betweening, is made all at once too.)

jenny10-11 wrote:
peno wrote:
Or is there even difference between the terms season and series?

A series would be the show (or book, or movie) in it's entirety, unlike a season, which is just a chunk of the show (see above for arguments about exactly what a season is comprised of). Assassination Classroom is one series, made up of two seasons and four cours. The Harry Potter series is made up of seven books (or eight movies). It's slightly jarring when people use series and season interchangably, as a series is made up of all the seasons of a show.

A bit of clarification here: In the UK, what is commonly referred to as a season is called a "series" there. For instance, each year, there is a new series of Doctor Who, even though it's the exact same TV show as before and BBC is simply renewing the contract. I don't know what people in the UK call what we call a "series" though.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
it'd be interesting ot know if this happened with anime original shows and which ones (gundam?)

Binan Koukou Chikyuu Boueibu LOVE! switched from Diomedea in the first cour (winter 2015) to Studio Comet for the second cour (summer 2016), with there being a big difference in visual quality between the two seasons. With the advent of the OVA's announcement, it seems like whoever hired Studio Comet wants to keep 'em now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3