• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Anime Change Studios Between Seasons?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

I see, I had the idea that some gundam sub-series had been delegated to otehr anime studios since sometimes we have like 3 gundam series running in parallel, production wise.

Sunrise has a ton of sub-studios.

There's 11 (although some of them could be classified as dead) plus D.I.D and Nerima as well. They all tend to stick with a specific series or two. Studio 7, for instance, did a lot of the Brave shows during the 90s.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall Rurouni Kenshin being animated by two different studios. Studio Gallop did episodes 1-66, while Studio Deen did episodes 67-95. I wonder why though? And I think both still kept the animation about the same throughout the series for the most part so it wasn't easy to tell if it was a different studio or not. What do you guys think? Why were there two studios working on Rurouni Kenshin? I haven't found information on this yet, so I was hoping someone else might know?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't know what people in the UK call what we call a "series" though.

"Programme"?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
jenny10-11 wrote:
peno wrote:
Or is there even difference between the terms season and series?

A series would be the show (or book, or movie) in it's entirety, unlike a season, which is just a chunk of the show.

Not if you live in the UK or New Zealand where they use the word Series as people are quoting Season here. I have a Red Dwarf collection that has "Series I to IV" Smile

Simple answer ... stick with using the term Cour!!!
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
Sometimes a change of studio might be good or bad, but I like art in Date A Live II more that DAL after it went from AIC to IMS.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
What about the example of Minami-ke, where the first two seasons were in production at two different studios (daume and Asread) at the same time and seemingly without all that much coordination between studios beyond using the same background music and voice actors, and probably making sure that they weren't covering the same chapters of the manga?

There's a sudden tone-shift in Minami-ke Okawari around episode 7 where you can tell that Asread started to be influenced by daume's version of the show, so, presumably, the first six episodes of the second season were already well in production before the first season even aired.

For what it's worth, while the first season is still the greatest season, I like Minami-ke Okawari a lot more than the general "consensus" especially the much-derided first half. You get a touch more depth with the main characters such as how Chiaki's loneliness due to her cynical snarky attitude towards her classmates is addressed and I also like getting a small glimpse of Haruka's sterner side.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
South Park commonly takes mid-season breaks, for instance,

South Park used to take mid-season breaks through to season 16 in 2012 but, starting with season 17, has only aired new episodes in one single "autumn" (this upcoming season actually starting in late summer) block, although each one of these blocks has been broken up with one or two rerun weeks but that's not the same as the months-long breakes they used to have between the halves of the seasons .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
If I recall the rumors and/or facts correctly, Love SNAFU changed... everything from studios to design and directors... because the original creators pulled a "Gunslingers Girl" as they didn't like the finished result, in this case the dead eyed Hachiman design and the production team clearly favoring Yui over more balanced time between the two girls.

I'm a huge fan of the first season but really dislike the second... for this show and Gunslinger Girl. The original creator doesn't always know what's best for a different medium.

To put it generally, there are cases where the director moves along with the property to new studios or there's a concentrated effort to match seasons but then there are the times where the franchise owners want you to be aware the work is "under new management".

I hated the second season of SNAFU. The dead eyed Hachiman is what totally 'made' his facial expressions and that aspect was completely gone come season 2. Completely turned me off the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3