• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Vatican Miracle Examiner, Streams on Anime Strike in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
If i remember correctly, Fate/Apocrypha will be on Netflix.

OH, PLEASE GOD, NO!

Anything but Netflix. PLEASE NO!
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I can't look forward to new series anymore, with Strike gobbling up half the good ones.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Im so confused. I thought anything Kadokawa (see their teaser trailers it has kadokawa all over it) was exclusive to Crunchyroll sort of like the noitamina deal with Amazon.

That agreement has expired.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, crap, along with ballroom, that's 2 of the 3 shows that I was the most interested in for the summer. Honestly, all of this is just turning me off from following simulcasts at all.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mark that as two that I will now watched fansubbed.

Since Sentai got it it sucks that it will not be on HiDive cause I love that streaming site already. Evil or Very Mad
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Since Sentai got it it sucks that it will not be on HiDive cause I love that streaming site already. Evil or Very Mad

Well HIDIVE got three of Sentai's pickups from this past season so far. Just not...in the US.

Plus they have the ones that Sentai previously streamed on Anime Network and Sentai will be streaming Battle Girl High School on HIDIVE, not that many will be watching it.
azhanei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
It may mean nothing, but I didn't see in this announcement that the stream on Strike is exclusive. On the other hand, the announcement for Welcome to the Ballroom made that part quite clear. So hopefully Vatican... will wind up one one of the usual sources too. If not, at least we already know it'll have a home video release.

I do worry a bit if these were titles Funi or CR wanted badly. If they did, then I fear what price Amazon paid and, if that trend continues, what it will do to licensing costs and the US market's ability to maintain competition.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Where was it confirmed that CR won't have the new Fate series? It's licensed by AoA, who always simulcasts on CR.

Personally, I'm only upset about Ballroom, nothing Sentai picked up interests me.

AoA licensing something, honestly means nothing to me anymore. (If they actually did license it.) Wasn't Saekano season 2 licensed by them as well? CR didn't get it. It was a Strike exclusive.

Finny-chan wrote:
Mark that as two that I will now watched fansubbed.

Same here. Do they really expect people to have enough money, to subscribe to each and every streaming site, to watch their shows? I don't like where this is going.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Animepokegirl89 wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:
Where was it confirmed that CR won't have the new Fate series? It's licensed by AoA, who always simulcasts on CR.

Personally, I'm only upset about Ballroom, nothing Sentai picked up interests me.

AoA licensing something, honestly means nothing to me anymore. (If they actually did license it.) Wasn't Saekano season 2 licensed by them as well? CR didn't get it. It was a Strike exclusive.

No, Saekano was licensed by Amazon itself as part of the Noitamina deal. The two series that were licensed by AoA, Eromanga-sensei and Granblue Fantasy, were streamed on CR, Anime Strike and Daisuki as they aired.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Animepokegirl89 wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

No, Saekano was licensed by Amazon itself as part of the Noitamina deal. The two series that were licensed by AoA, Eromanga-sensei and Granblue Fantasy, were streamed on CR, Anime Strike and Daisuki as they aired.

Ah. I wasn't familiar with that. Thank you for informing me. I take what I said, back.
alorian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
This is incredibly frustrating. I was really looking forward to this. I refuse to pay Amazon (twice!) for a streaming service + prime in order to watch something, and I don't want to encourage that crappy business model. I get the feeling they're just throwing wodges of cash at things in order to get Strike off the ground. And I don't think what they're doing is anything wanted or needed by fans who are just trying to watch anime legitimately. I just think it's a battle by companies for streaming supremacy/monopoly, and it's forcing fans to pick between not watching shows they want or maintaining ten different streaming subscriptions. We are getting the bad end of the deal, here.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
alorian wrote:
This is incredibly frustrating. I was really looking forward to this. I refuse to pay Amazon (twice!) for a streaming service + prime in order to watch something, and I don't want to encourage that crappy business model. I get the feeling they're just throwing wodges of cash at things in order to get Strike off the ground. And I don't think what they're doing is anything wanted or needed by fans who are just trying to watch anime legitimately. I just think it's a battle by companies for streaming supremacy/monopoly, and it's forcing fans to pick between not watching shows they want or maintaining ten different streaming subscriptions. We are getting the bad end of the deal, here.

Agreed. Amazon originally stated that it started Anime Strike because there was an "underserved" market for anime, which is pretty hard to believe since there are multiple companies that already license and stream anime. The double paywall definitely doesn't seem like a customer-oriented practice either.

I also agree with what you said about Amazon making use of its money. It's hardly a coincidence that Sentai's licenses keep ending up as Strike exclusives, especially when it was not a popular move last season. Ultimately, what concerns me most about that tactic is that the CR/Funi partnership was the result of licensing costs getting too high, and then Amazon decides to get aggressive and it can afford to basically pay whatever the production committees want. That might seem good for them now, but big companies tend to be far less generous after they've muscled out the smaller competition, so it could backfire and result in Amazon effectively dictating licensing fees in the future.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
That might seem good for them now, but big companies tend to be far less generous after they've muscled out the smaller competition, so it could backfire and result in Amazon effectively dictating licensing fees in the future.

This could have also happened if the Funi/CR partnership was left completely unchallenged. Either Funi and CR could dictate prices, or we could have ended up back in the time period where many shows get passed over. The exact thing you are worrying about with Amazon is the exact thing that many of us worried about with the CR deal, except that Amazon is entering an already established market where one site heavily dominates. The chances of Amazon becoming a monopoly are next to none. CR was already close to being one.

As far as the licensing prices goes, while they may have been high, CR is largely the responsible party for them getting so high in the first place. And despite their high level, it doesn't seem that either they or Funi were suffering that much. All the two did was really muscle out the smaller players, and lock up all the major licenses each season. Lowering the licensing costs was more about padding their profits, than making things more affordable for fans.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
alorian wrote:
it's forcing fans to pick between not watching shows they want or maintaining ten different streaming subscriptions. We are getting the bad end of the deal, here.

Well, back in the cable TV days, everyone always said that they wanted a la carte, not bundles. Now we're getting a la carte, and seeing the downsides. (Since I'm not a dub-watcher, I'm being asked to sign up for HiDive basically for a la carte LoGH.)
Everything has pros and cons.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Boo-urns...

As a Catholic I was looking forward to this coming to Crunchy...

Well I hold out hope that maybe after the full season has aired that it will and that Amazon only has exclusive periodic rights to it while it's airing.

Then that'd be okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3