• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Summer 2017 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Ooof Agent355's comments about the Ballroom manga are already tapering my already lowered expectations. It's a show I've been really looking forward to since it was announced, but my interest wavered when a load of dudes started coming to Ballroom threads to "appease" "concerned users" about how this show "was not like that yaoi on ice[sic] shit" (around the time YOI ended airing and given how the cover of the first manga volume has the protagonist looking a lot like Yuri Katsuki).

This, pretty much. I might still check it out if we'll be able to watch it with a Prime account over here in Europe.

But my most-anticipated show is definitely Altair since i love historical anime and the manga is really good.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Shows to look out for:
Welcome to the Ballroom, Altair, Made in Abyss, Restaurant to another World, Kakegurui, the Vatican one, maybe The Reflection and maybe Princess Principal.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.

Ok, since I was too "snarky" Rolling Eyes . I'll put it in a nicer way. If you get triggered over the fact that the male has the lead role, then don't watch this, because it's just a part of the sport, it's just the way it is, at least in Japan. I'm referring to Welcome to the Ballroom, by the way. There, is that good, no snarks, sorry.

Last edited by Thorfinn on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Most of my shows this season are continuing to next (MHA, Virgin Soul, Re:Creators), and originally that was what I planned on watching through this season. I'm loving all three.

Most of of my hype this season (probably all of it) is going towards Symphogear. I watched Season 1 and 2 in a week, and watched Season 3 as it aired. Such awesomeness. I'm excited to see where this season goes. I'm waiting for the day it will get released state-side, even though that won't happen. But if D.Gray-man's fully licensed, maybe this can happen? One can dream...

As for other shows I'm probably going to end up watching, Altair, The Reflection, and Ballroom are my automatic choices. I've read a few Altair chapters (and they are AWESOME). The Reflection sounds promising (Umakoshi is working on it, and I am a huge fan of his), and Ballroom sounds so different I'm super curious to see how the story goes.

Princess Principal, Nana Maru San Batsu, and Made in Abyss are on the may-or-may-not list. I'm getting Flip Flappers vibes from Princess Principal, (probably because FlipFlap's studio is working on this too) which isn't a bad thing. They both have alliteration titles too!
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Summer may be a catch-up or sit-out season for me.

Welcome to the Ballroom sounded interesting to me, but the more I hear about it the more it seems like it's going to be typical shonen with lots of by-the-numbers characters and drama I won't ever get around to caring about. I like the idea of a show about ballroom dancing, but not if it's occupied by the cast of every other sports anime I've already dropped.

I'd never even heard of Symphogear, though. It sounds like it could be fun, maybe that'll be the show I catch up on.

I'd also kind of like to watch the new Saiyuki but, as a reader of the manga who never made it to Blast, it'd feel kind of like cheating. I dunno. Razz
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
If it's anime [series] there are some rules that can make them good players:

1) watch the anime staff; Director, composer, or composer of an original work and the directors of animation and etc. If it is adaptation, the same is true.

2) The studio.

These are two essential rules if you want to bet on some new series that will come out. They will only say that the season is weak those who can not analyze according to these rules.

Mine for the season are:

Princess Home
Made in Abyss
Fate / Apocrypha
Welcome to the hall
Welcome to the Ballroom
Hajimete no Gal
Kakegurui
18if
Katsugeki / Touken Ranbu
Owarimonogatari
Shoukoku in Altair
The Reflection

Honorable mentions:

Vatican Kiseki Chousakan
Knight's & Magic
Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017)

Proceedings:

My Hero Academy Re: Creatos and Bahamut obviously I will continue to follow, as they are the best of the spring season and will continue to be, I believe.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
If anyone going in blind is expecting Made in Abyss to be "family friendly" or a fun sweet adventure story or anything along those lines your are in for a truly unpleasant experience. Do the proper research and look into the manga unless you are perfectly OK with every potentially controversial thing that can be depicted in fiction.

Viewer discretion is heavily advised. I can't wait for the temper tantrum meltdowns from people that can't be bothered to be sure they know exactly what they're getting into beforehand. Made in Abyss is in no way shape or form a safe, mainstream, wide audience appeal manga. It is very much the opposite.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
PFdaCIA wrote:
They will only say that the season is weak those who can not analyze according to these rules.

No, I say it's looking weak because very little among the new series is jumping out at me. Pedigree doesn't by any means guarantee that a title will be great, and that seems to be all you're judging on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
If anyone going in blind is expecting Made in Abyss to be "family friendly" or a fun sweet adventure story or anything along those lines your are in for a truly unpleasant experience. Do the proper research and look into the manga unless you are perfectly OK with every potentially controversial thing that can be depicted in fiction.

I just finished reading the translated chapters of it (up to volume 4) and you're quite right. It's almost on par with The Promised Neverland, and with the direction it's going I wouldn't be surprised if it'll even surpass it...
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:

Viewer discretion is heavily advised. I can't wait for the temper tantrum meltdowns from people that can't be bothered to be sure they know exactly what they're getting into beforehand. Made in Abyss is in no way shape or form a safe, mainstream, wide audience appeal manga. It is very much the opposite.

I must say after reading your comments that now my curisity is definitely piqued... I'm totally checking this out now
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
I must say after reading your comments that now my curisity is definitely piqued... I'm totally checking this out now

It was already on my list, but now I'm a little more interested.

Though if it reaches Gantz levels of shock, I'll probably drop it.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Just so people watching Owarimonogatari know, it's kinda essential to watch Koyomimonogatari before watching the next part. Make sure you're all caught up on that.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm just surprised that the one time we get a monster girls show that doesn't have a potentially creepy guy as the focus and all the girls being his posse, it's a ho hum reaction. Just the significance of that alone should make Centaur must see tv. I'm not the most into slice of life but I wanna see how this looks and feels.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
While I have yet to read the manga, Welcome to the Ballroom first caught my attention.

I'm considering the idea of watching New Game!'s second season right after watching the first one.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
At least this season is not looking bleak for the female audience, sadly the last 2 seasons are heavy on the male market it was only 'Royal Tutor' made me stay and prolong my dying subscription to crunchyroll. Sadly I noticed that most of my female tumblr and twitter friends are not posting any anime related stuffs anymore and have mysteriously moved on to Kpop. It kinda explains why BTS is reigning over all social media platforms, like oh my god just look at the likes and reblogs, many of the twitter users who I know shifted from anime to Kpop and turned their followers into BTS zombies. Ever since the spark of the BBMA awards my friends who're actively posting anime(mainly YOI,AOT and BHA)-related stuffs have stopped posting during these past 2 anime seasons, they only post stuffs about the 1st kpop group called BTS who won an international award, and they're not even Kpop fans. It was very saddening that the anime world is losing more female audience because of the shifting, I noticed that Kpop groups are topping the Oricon chart simultaneously than ever before, it's one of the signs that their influence is growing(or even affecting) and successfully leaning on the target market, and that target market responds. As of now, none pf my gal friends are even looking forward to this upcoming anime season Crying or Very sad
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
PFdaCIA wrote:
They will only say that the season is weak those who can not analyze according to these rules.

No, I say it's looking weak because very little among the new series is jumping out at me. Pedigree doesn't by any means guarantee that a title will be great, and that seems to be all you're judging on.

I will have to disagree. While it is a fact that credentials alone do not guarantee a hit, I would put "gut feeling" a lot lower on the ladder of things to analyze objectively towards assessing a new season. At least when average mcjoe says this season is weak nobody expects that to be anything but his empiric deduction, when a journalist of ANN says that we expect something of real weight behind the affirmation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4