• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Petition: Start Dubbing Songs In Singing Scenes Again.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naftali Poritz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I have started a petition on change.org to get anime licensors to start dubbing songs again.

Until Mid Summer in 2016, 90% of the time, Funimation made the effort and negotiations to be able to dub the songs in scenes during episodes where the anime characters actually sang. the more recent being No-Rin, Date A Live II, and even Show By Rock. But since the time Funimation started simulcasting Love Live Sunshine, and more noticeably around the time Funimation partnered with Crunchyroll, even on home video releases starting with Castletown Dandelion, the practice just suddenly stopped, and I was surprised. When I inquired, every time, I was sort of told about funimation not getting permission. But I personally think its all a sham, cause I spoke with a couple of VAs on twitter, and concluded that Funimation decided to stop making the effort and discontinue such practice for the most part because they are too busy and rushed with doing all the increased broadcast dubs and home video releases that they no longer have the time.
Funimation just doesn't care as much about dubbing any kind of singing, or even having the English VAs do any singing (mostly the female ones) anymore.
Funimation should go back to the practice they were doing in the past prior to summer 2016, and dub songs in singing scenes. The lyrics should be as close to the origional lyrics, or the same lyrics dubbed (with slight adjustments) as the Japanese lyrics. If songs can't be dubbed, then at least the English VA should sing the Japanese lyrics. I want to see Funimation make more of an effort, talk it out with the Japanese companies, come up with a compromise of some sort. Time should be set aside to dub any lyrics, as well as song recordings. Other licensors should look into dubbing songs in singing scenes as well. Dubbed songs will be the same or as close to the English translated Japanese lyrics as possible. As a last resort, the English VAs would sing the original Japanese lyrics. This would better help support the original artists, and increase the chances permission would be granted to dub the songs. Not just Funimation, but Sentai Filmworks, Aniplex USA, and other licensors would be covered in this petition.

Link To Petition: https://www.change.org/p/funimation-dub-songs-in-singing-scenes-in-anime-episodes

If you support my petition, don't forget to click on the link above, and sign my petition.

Note to Moderators: This is a petition, so please don't lock this post up. I want to give a change for people to review and sign this petition. I'm not completely sure if this is the right forums for posting petitions. If not, you can move it to the correct forums.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Only if VAs are GOOD at singing.

Otherwise, no.

*remembers songs in Viz and ADV dubs and shudders*

...............those were dark days.....
Naftali Poritz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Chibi, which ADV and VIZ media anime are you talking about where the dubbed singing sucked?

Have you watched Show By Rock recently? do you think the English singers are bad?

What I agree is when the American voice actors do sing, the ADR directors should cast voice actors that can sing well enough in singing roles. As a last resort, they could have another English VA do the singing role as long as they sound just like the non-singing VA, so people can't really tell its a different person singing (Just like in the 90s, I couldn't really distinguish between the talking and singing voices in Disney animated movies).

The English dub director should view the entire series subbed first, and if the character has a singing role, they should cast a voice actor that can actually sing well enough.

How well do you think voice actors like Catlin Glass, Jad Saxton, and Bryn Appril can sing?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Honestly this comes off as mostly self promotion in the aspect of it's you promoting your petition. We don't generally allow self promotion here. That aside there really is no area for discussion in the thread since it's just to promote your petition. I won't remove it so people can choose to go to your petition or not, but since there really seems to be no point beyond that I am going to lock the thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1