• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream Animeism Shows Including Altair Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

We don't know. Only Kabaneri has been picked up by someone else. We will have to be patient and wait and see. It would be incredibly odd for them to spend so much money for licenses, but turn down the possibility of dubbing it adding home video revenue. Plus, CR and others have indicated that the home video and streaming rights usually go together these days.
I am no expert on licensing so I could be way off base but this seems to be a deal with the network and not production companies so my thinking was that they could not offer the master license. Once again I could be way off base here.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
What I find funny is that the many of the same people that would argue that CR wasn't a monopoly when it got all but two or three shows in a season are now the same ones saying that Amazon is a monopoly when it's getting less than half the shows airing.

Yeah, but all you have to do is wait a week, and you an watch everything on CR for free. It's a lot different when you have to pay $160 a year, regardless of when you decide to watch it.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So Amazon now has both noitaminA and Animeism. Greeeeeaaaattttt......

So their strategy doesn't seem to be to license individual shows but license the blocks wholesale so they can get all the titles within. Probably more cost effective for them in the long run rather than trying to buy each individual show.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
So how long until the bubble bursts again? I'm getting some serious late 2000s' bubble burst vibes.

While there is definitely reason to be concerned, it's important to remember that there are some big differences between the last bubble burst and now. The last one really hit hard because not only were licenses were being overpaid for, but pretty much every single show was getting dubbed. There was also the fact that home video was the primary, and more often than not, the only source of revenue for the R1 companies.

They get hit really hard by retailer returns, and the bankruptcy of MusicLand destroyed CPM, and badly injured the rest of the R1 companies. It accounted for 50% of Anime home video sales at the time. Best Buy cutting back drastically on anime further inflicted damage, and is likely largely reposinble for the collapse of ADV and Geneon.

With the majority of video sales coming from online store fronts like Amazon and Right Stuf, where returns are not much of a concern, and the diversification with streaming and download to own, the companies have more streams of revenue to draw upon, and better chances at shows at least breaking even. Not to mention, not even Funimation is blidndly dubbing every single show they get anymore.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Another difference between Anime Strike & Crunchyroll that no one on this thread has pointed out yet is that (at least in North America) Crunchyroll makes most of their simulcast anime available for non-subscribers *free* a week after they air. That's a whole bunch of people too young or too taxed financially to subscribe, available to watch the latest season's offering legally, support it through ads, and keep up with the conversation & hype online that can build, make or break some shows.
Neither Amazon, Netflix or Hulu does this (will Hulu still simulcast anything, or have they completely lost interest in new anime?)

Seeing a company with no intention to stream shows legally beyond its subscribers is depressing. HiDive is still a red herring in all this, though. Hopefully they'll eventually get some Sentai Strike shows.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

We don't know. Only Kabaneri has been picked up by someone else. We will have to be patient and wait and see. It would be incredibly odd for them to spend so much money for licenses, but turn down the possibility of dubbing it adding home video revenue. Plus, CR and others have indicated that the home video and streaming rights usually go together these days.
I am no expert on licensing so I could be way off base but this seems to be a deal with the network and not production companies so my thinking was that they could not offer the master license. Once again I could be way off base here.

Usually the network that runs the block sits on the production committee for each show, and it's quite common for them to hold the master rights as well. Funimation always got home video rights when they had a deal for the notaminA block for instance. It's becoming increasingly uncommon for the home video and streaming rights to be split up, as they are worth far more combined.

It is possible that Amazon only received streaming rights, but given the current licensing trends, it's extremely unlikely.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Another difference between Anime Strike & Crunchyroll that no one on this thread has pointed out yet is that (at least in North America) Crunchyroll makes most of their simulcast anime available for non-subscribers *free* a week after they air. That's a whole bunch of people too young or too taxed financially to subscribe, available to watch the latest season's offering legally, support it through ads, and keep up with the conversation & hype online that can build, make or break some shows.
Neither Amazon, Netflix or Hulu does this (will Hulu still simulcast anything, or have they completely lost interest in new anime?)

Seeing a company with no intention to stream shows legally beyond its subscribers is depressing. HiDive is still a red herring in all this, though. Hopefully they'll eventually get some Sentai Strike shows.

Yeah, CR has 1 million paying users but like 20 million registered users, so literally tens of millions of peoplle using CR, waiting a week for the episode to go free and deal with the ads just fine.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Yeah, CR has 1 million paying users but like 20 million registered users, so literally tens of millions of peoplle using CR, waiting a week for the episode to go free and deal with the ads just fine.

You do have to remember that a lot of people have registered for CR accounts to try out the service, or check out one certain show, and then never again or hardly ever use it. Not to mention, I'm sure there are people who have more than one account and simply lost the password or don't have access to the registered email. Not all of the registered account are going to be active. I have a CR account, but I haven't used it to watch anything in over a year.

But the ad stream is nice for those that can't, or won't pay for a subscription. It does come with drawbacks, like lower quality video.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

But the ad stream is nice for those that can't, or won't pay for a subscription. It does come with drawbacks, like lower quality video.

Some people don't put THAT much stock into vid quality. I mean yeah they don't want it blurry as all hell, but I'm willing to bet if they can watch it in say 360-480p as a cost of sitting through ads then, that's just fine.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
This entire Twitter thread is why Amazon monopolizing is bad: https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/880614659564417024

Quote:
Anime Strike is easily the most insidious interloper yet. It's doing what Amazon tries to do with everything it dips its toe into: outmuscle superior services through the brute force of buckets of cash. Their end objective is to be the only, not the best.

They are trying to screw over the whole industry this way and the bubble will burst again, which means we lose simulcasting. Nobody should give them money because they are moving in a direction that means everything goes to them because they want to be the big guy and nobody else can step in. Funimation will be dead, CR will be dead, everyone will have to bow down to Amazon only. Tech giants are awful and ruin everything and this is no exception.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but if past indications are anything to go by, they want to squish CR/Funi like bugs and hog everything for themselves. Defending AS is practically saying "I want a future where only one company owns simulcasting."

Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Usually the network that runs the block sits on the production committee for each show, and it's quite common for them to hold the master rights as well. Funimation always got home video rights when they had a deal for the notaminA block for instance. It's becoming increasingly uncommon for the home video and streaming rights to be split up, as they are worth far more combined.

It is possible that Amazon only received streaming rights, but given the current licensing trends, it's extremely unlikely.
Ah thanks for the insight I was unaware of this. It will be interesting to see how Amazon handle's home releases but only time will tell wether it's a good or bad thing.
Radames125470

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that the things Amazon Strike needs to do in order to show they're support of the anime community...

1. Release things on time the way CR does. They have some of the most anticipated titles under their belt this season, they have a responsibility to get it out to in a timely fashion in an organized schedule. EVERY week at the same time.

2. Make Amazon Strike accessible to non Amazon prime subscribers for a decent price. Make Amazon Prime members have access to Amazon Strike for free.

3. Fix the website issues. Make it more ogranized. The library is just a complete mess.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Why must my worst fears come true? Welcome to the Ballroom, Altair, Kakegurui, and The Reflection are the only shows I have looked forward to and Amazon got 2 of them........you gotta be kidding me. I wouldn't care if Netflix got it, but Amazon completely lost my support when they made Strike. They need to get rid of that goddamn double paywall and put everything onto Prime Video, then I'll have no qualms spending my money on them. Looks like I'll be resorting to piracy.......again -_- Hope Funimation, Viz, or any other competent company somehow picks up their home video licenses. That's my only hope.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Why must my worst fears come true? Welcome to the Ballroom, Altair, Kakegurui, and The Reflection are the only shows I have looked forward to and Amazon got 2 of them........you gotta be kidding me. I wouldn't care if Netflix got it, but Amazon completely lost my support when they made Strike. They need to get rid of that goddamn double paywall and put everything onto Prime Video, then I'll have no qualms spending my money on them. Looks like I'll be resorting to piracy.......again -_- Hope Funimation, Viz, or any other competent company somehow picks up their home video licenses. That's my only hope.

Netflix has Kakegurui and Crunchyroll has THE REFLECTION.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
I'm curious about Knights of Sidonia season 3, since 1 and 2 were Netflix originals that originally aired in the Animeism block.

They had better not touch that or the second Blame! movie. Hopefully they know better than to mess with Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7