• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Spring 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hensin3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Just created account to share what I think about spring 2017.

There are so many show that looking good at the start but really disapointing after 3 episodes. The only show that took my interest every week in the whole season without fail are Attack on Titan and Eccentric Family. The easiest measurable assesment why I choose these two show are, there are no cringe scene (cmiiw) in these shows compared to other shows which aired in spring 2017. The other measurement I consider are, the dialogue between characters which are the biggest factor for me, but really hard to measure if you didn't watch the show at least 6 episodes. AoT and Eccentric Family consistently offers really meaningful, thought provoking, and sometimes silly dialog which I did not find in other shows (actually other show have some good dialog too, but it's not very consistent, and really feels off and horrible, and yeah I'm talking about Sagrada Reset).

Maybe I should start to watch some show that not on my watchlist but got some good reviews from some of you guys here like My Hero Academia and Gundam Thunderbolt

Sorry for my shitty grammar, english not my 1st language.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'll give you credit for getting me to actually read your entire essay... that being said, while you were the catalyst for my comment, as you clearly grasped, you were NOT the target of my comment. You are assuming I'm somehow judging you and are clearly offended, but that was never my intention. I'm simply expressing my own opinion on a view and a type of fan that I see all over the place. Your comment struck me as espousing that mindset in more than a few ways, but I'm not attacking you, or mocking you. I'm just taking advantage of the forum here to express my relevant thoughts and responding in what I feel was a cordial and well reasoned manner. What threshold that doesn't meet, I have no idea. I've been told that I'm usually too thorough in my arguments, rather than the other way around. But I'll apologize for making you feel uncomfortable. My bad dude.

Fair enough, and it was an understandable error, and it isn't like it is one I have never committed either. That you saw it and took the time to acknowledge it and clear up what you had meant so as to make that clear, that is far less common. I really and truly appreciate it when I encounter it in others, as I do here, both for its relative rarity online and for its basic good critical thought demonstration, also a less than common thing online these days, especially in the Age of Trump. Had you not quoted me as your example I would not have reacted as I did to you, or you had been a bit clearer that this quoting was not aimed at me but rather was being used to make a wider point not specifically at me but instead I gave you material you felt you could use for your wider point i would not have reacted as I did either.

So thanks, and I do agree with your wider point for many genre purists, but I am not purist is anything except basic word meanings/definitions, beyond that I live in a world of endless shades of gray (and no, not a literary/film reference, I hate that I currently need to add that these days...*sigh*). I just could not abide the wide gulf in meaning shown calling Kado fantasy, it felt like calling Lord of the Rings a romance, or the Hobbit as a novella in terms of not just being wrongly used but wildly wrongly used. Beyond that though I expected to be an outlier on this show, it really is one of the classic old school SF stories, but even in the old days it tended to be less than accessible for many even within the SF fan world. I remember getting into arguments at Cons in the earlier to mid 80s on this very point. Then SF started to explode in NA AV in the 80s, especially with TV as first the Star Trek revival hit and then Babylon 5 in the beginning 90s, and well this type of SF story all but disappeared for a time.

As with all things there is a time and season, but also as with most things, they come and go in cycles. How long those cycles may run, that can always be an open question. So my apologies too if I seemed a bit overly reactive to you, when you grow up being mocked for your reading tastes because at the time they are seen as pure garbage by "proper" society to now when it is one of the most respected forms of literature created in the modern world, it can leave some hot buttons, and one might have been pushed unintentionally. So I feel it fair to note that I may have read more into your comment than was fair, and since you clarified yourself, the least I can do is acknowledge and reciprocate. Thank you for a civilized and more importantly civil exchange, always nice to see in this world.
Richard Joash Tan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite is Clockwork Planet because I am very biased with it.
Richard Joash Tan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:18 am Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

Worst for me was probably Clockwork Planet. There were some warning signs from the start, but it at least showed a bit of potential at the beginning. It then proceeded to become completely aimless and tepid, not knowing what it wanted to do or be. Eventually, it felt like every 5 minutes the show would completely change writers and not tell the new writer what the previous one had been aiming for with their writing.

But for me, it's always the best, but I have to watch some more.
Richard Joash Tan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Worst: Clockwork Planet, and Re:Creators. Hands down. Clockwork was bad in every aspect. Re:Creators was just entirely unenjoyable. The concept was over done and it's prose was god awful. Least the music was good.

Am I the only one who is biased with Clockwork Planet? I am watching in english Dub.
hinugundam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
It is a sad place that Berserk is in. It deserved far better animation and direction, and likely would have been one of the best had there been real effort in adapting it. Oh well, at least I have my Figmas of Slan and Void to look forward to in the coming months Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
richardjoash wrote:
It's your choice. I am sticking with it and I am not a troll.

Maybe not, but you're currently violating two forum rules: serial posting and being rude to other forum members. You need to cool it on both, so consider this a Moderator warning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard Joash Tan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
richardjoash wrote:
It's your choice. I am sticking with it and I am not a troll.

Maybe not, but you're currently violating two forum rules: serial posting and being rude to other forum members. You need to cool it on both, so consider this a Moderator warning.

Hello, I apologise for this harsh behavior 6 years ago, so I am now considering it as you see fit.

Sincerely,

Richard Joash Tan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4